Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Honda, if you watch how many questions people ask which receive the response "Read the manual" or "It's in the manual" whereupon the OP will say, "I did", it becomes obvious that people are reading it but not able to find the information they seek. Put the recommenced service schedule back in. The local dealer says change the transmission fluid ever 30K miles which seems quick. Will the Maintenance Minder tell us when.

The vehicles are becoming increasingly complex with electronics. Perhaps if you had a new owner read the manual and then you listen to all the questions they cannot find the answers to.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
The local dealer says change the transmission fluid ever 30K miles which seems quick. Will the Maintenance Minder tell us when.QUOTE]

The local dealer is telling you that because they make their money off of maintenance. The MM will tell you when you need to change it and I recommend following the MM.

·
Super Moderator
3,191 Posts
Honda engineers are better qualified to decide maintenance needs than any dealer service manager.
I doubted the 7500 mile service cycle for my Pilot which barely used any oil between services after 224k mikes.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I agree 100% Sportymonk.

The instructions in the Owners Manual need to be more precise with the directions on how to achieve a particular outcome, not just one particular Section either, i.e. Sportymonk's thread located here in relation to Dash Light Dimmer Control is just one example.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The manual could always be written better. Inclusion of mileage based maintenance requirements with notes about months/years would be very helpful. Personally, I prefer to be proactive in maintenance needs. If I do it too soon, well it's my money. If the MM shows something needs to be done, then it is always best to follow what it indicates.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I think that the U.S. being the most litigious country in the World might have something to do with it !! That coupled with the more doubt in the owner's mind, the more the chances are that they will consult the dealer which of course equates to a built-in revenue stream !! Craig

·
Registered
98 Posts
Having been a member of a Cadillac Forum for 7 years prior to buying my Honda, I can safely say that a tiny fraction of the people on that forum ever read the manual. It was just too easy for them to come to the forum and post their questions. Hardly anyone bothered to do a search to see if their question(s) had already been answered in a posted thread. It kept moderators busy trying to merge identical threads. From what I have seen, I doubt if a superbly written manual would get read by many people. I don't blame Honda for making them online as the default. If you want hard copy, you have request it.

How many people have actually read both the manuals cover to cover?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Having been a member of a Cadillac Forum for 7 years prior to buying my Honda, I can safely say that a tiny fraction of the people on that forum ever read the manual. It was just too easy for them to come to the forum and post their questions. Hardly anyone bothered to do a search to see if their question(s) had already been answered in a posted thread. It kept moderators busy trying to merge identical threads. From what I have seen, I doubt if a superbly written manual would get read by many people. I don't blame Honda for making them online as the default. If you want hard copy, you have request it.

How many people have actually read both the manuals cover to cover?
I tried, but the '13 manual is like 350 pages !!! LOTS of redundancy like the instrumentation, but the positive is it's great for insomnia !! I defy you to get through the section on say heater/ac controls without nodding off !! I do find myself using it for reference to at least try and solve a question before asking here, but you observations are spot on !! Craig

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Craig, right on! I too use it as a reference book on my car. Reading it will put me to sleep. : )

·
Registered
98 Posts
Craig, right on! I too use it as a reference book on my car. Reading it will put me to sleep. : )
If you don't read it then how do you know what features it has that you may not be aware of?

·
Registered
776 Posts
I think he means he's read the manual but at that point, it now becomes a reference book !! At least, that's where I'm at now. Craig

·
Registered
98 Posts
I used to work in tech support many years ago. Our favorite acronym when an idiot customer was on the phone was RTFM. We never said that to their face but we certainly said it to each other in support. It was the source of many eye rolls. LOL!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just figured out how to enable the green glow on the sides of the speedometer when I drive economically. I kept looking for something to do with Economy, econ, green light, etc. Finally found it under "Customize Settings / Trip Computer Setup / Ambient Light" / Fuel Efficiency Backlight / 'Turns the Ambient Meter Feature on and off"

Ambient Meter???? Literally the last place I would have looked.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I just figured out how to enable the green glow on the sides of the speedometer when I drive economically. I kept looking for something to do with Economy, econ, green light, etc. Finally found it under "Customize Settings / Trip Computer Setup / Ambient Light" / Fuel Efficiency Backlight / 'Turns the Ambient Meter Feature on and off"

Ambient Meter???? Literally the last place I would have looked.
You reckon that is weird, have a read of this fiasco on my old 2013 CRV.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts