Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems I hear more about these two tires than any other. I think reviews are usually higher for Comfort Tread because they are so much quieter. Many reviews say Triple Tread are noisy. Are they noisier than the Duelers (the stock tire that came on mine)? Hows the grip of the Comfort Tread? How is it compared to the Triple Tread?

If it helps, I live in East Tennessee, and we haven’t had a good snow in a LONG time. We do get ice patches in the winter though.

Originally, I was looking for a comfortable ride, cuz the roads around here kinda suck, but I’m really liking what I’m hearing about the grip of the Triple Tread. But I’m reading where people are saying it’s a rough and noisy ride.

I just got off the phone with the cheapest tire place in town, and he recommended Bridgestone SE200. He says his wife has a CR-V, and that’s what he put on hers, and she had no complaints. When I read the review and survey at Tirerack.com they scored low. Why do all these places try to sell you something totally different than what you asked for. They’re cheaper, but do the people at tire places get some kinda kickback for getting people to buy certain ties?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
People recommend different tires because it's a VERY subjective topic. What one person thinks is good handling and performance is trash to another. I didn't think the OEM Bridgestones were all that noisy yet all you hear about is complaints on how loud they are. Buy a tire you are comfortable with and try it out. Lots of dealers give you a 30 day test drive on them (you would need to trade into something else THEY offer) so how can you go wrong.:cool:

I run Cooper CS4's on my wife's CRV

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
People recommend different tires because it's a VERY subjective topic. What one person thinks is good handling and performance is trash to another. I didn't think the OEM Bridgestones were all that noisy yet all you hear about is complaints on how loud they are. Buy a tire you are comfortable with and try it out. Lots of dealers give you a 30 day test drive on them (you would need to trade into something else THEY offer) so how can you go wrong.:cool:

I run Cooper CS4's on my wife's CRV

You know honestly, I don't really notice the noise from the Duelers either, till I read about it. Maybe to me it's like a noise you don't notice till someone points it out to you, like an air conditioner, or a refrigerator.

·
Registered
557 Posts
You know honestly, I don't really notice the noise from the Duelers either, till I read about it. Maybe to me it's like a noise you don't notice till someone points it out to you, like an air conditioner, or a refrigerator.
Tires make a difference but to me it isn't overtly obvious I went from completely worn out 54K Bridgestone Duelers to New Pirelli P4 four season, those two are very different. The duelers have a more rugged, aggressive, off-road tread while the Pirellis which have a smoother more on road tread design provide better grip on and from my minor experience of-road. After getting new rubber I felt a slight difference but I went from one extreme to another (rugged off road design which was worn out vs. Brand new smoother on road tread design). To be honest its a difficult decision my dad had Triple Treads for years and they were brilliant in the snow and wet on an heavy FWD minivan. They also didn't make a loud rumble but unlike the V that car had insulation to be honest either way you go you aren't going to get a massive difference (at least in the price point your in) so I would go with triple treads just from my experience although I think the biggest difference you can get in the terms of comfort is messing around with tire pressure not at a dangerous level but moving between 26 PSI and the lower 30's you can lower noise, improve wear, get better traction, and increase mileage by dialing in the perfect tire pressure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK I talked to the guy at the tire place again, and he said there were 2 bad things about the Goodyear triple tread. LOL, he's really a nice guy over the phone, but he seems to really have something against these tires.

One was noise, which I've heard already, but the Duellers I'm currently using don't bother me like others have claimed, so I'm wondering if maybe these won't bother me either.

The other thing was the tire rotation. He said with the tread design, I would only be able to rotate them front to back, and not diagonal like they were suppose to be.

So what do you guys think about the rotation? For the people who use this tire, how do you rotate these?

Hope to hear from someone soon on this. I need to call this guy later and let him know what to order.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The other thing was the tire rotation. He said with the tread design, I would only be able to rotate them front to back, and not diagonal like they were suppose to be. So what do you guys think about the rotation? For the people who use this tire, how do you rotate these?
I'm not an expert by any means. But my understanding is this:

Tires with a "directional tread" can ONLY be rotated front to back and not diagonal. So this is not uncommon. I don't see where that would be a problem. If the tire you're considering has a directional tread, then the guy is telling you the truth about rotation. Directional tread tires are designed NOT to be rotated diagonally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'm not an expert by any means. But my understanding is this:

Tires with a "directional tread" can ONLY be rotated front to back and not diagonal. So this is not uncommon. I don't see where that would be a problem. If the tire you're considering has a directional tread, then the guy is telling you the truth about rotation. Directional tread tires are designed NOT to be rotated diagonally.

Yea, after my post, I did a little research. If it's not a big deal, I wonder why he was telling me about it as if it was a bad thing?

Like I asked in my original post. Do people at tire places get some kinda kickback for pushing people towards certain brands? He acts like I'm making a big mistake if I go with the Goodyear triple tread, but they are ranked one of the highest, if not the highest on tirerack.com. He's telling me I should go with Bridgestone SE200, which are rated kinda low.

·
Registered
43 Posts
1.) If it's not a big deal, I wonder why he was telling me about [front to back tire rotation, not diagonal] as if it was a bad thing?

2. ) Like I asked in my original post. Do people at tire places get some kinda kickback for pushing people towards certain brands? He acts like I'm making a big mistake if I go with the Goodyear triple tread, but they are ranked one of the highest, if not the highest on tirerack.com. He's telling me I should go with Bridgestone SE200, which are rated kinda low.
1. ) The tire sales guy may have been telling you about the tire rotation front-to-back as a precaution, not as a bad thing. If I were to buy tires with a directional tread, I'd be sure to tell the service guy when I would bring my vehicle in for tire rotation. I would hope that any service technician would know to look for a directional tread, and then rotate the tires accordingly. But it never hurts to be too careful.

2. ) I doubt the sales guy is getting a kickback. But he could be pushing a tire that he's overstocked on. Or maybe he gets a higher profit on the one tire over the other, who knows.

As far as tire rankings. Here's an example of how they differ. For winter tires, Consumer Reports online ranks the Michelin X-Ice higher than Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50. But an online tire site I came across (sorry, don't remember which one) ranked the Blizzak higher. By the way, you might be happy to know that for "all-season" tires, Consumer Reports ranks Goodyear Assurance TripleTred highest on that list.

As Badgerland pointed out, tire recommendations are more subjective than objective. Yes, there are actual tire ratings and measurements right on the tire itself - treadware, traction, and temperature. But for everything else, there's just someone's opinion.

Folks like Consumer Reports set up testing procedures as rigid and as objective as possible. But so do other organizations, including those who only test tires. It's not surprising to find different ratings and opinions, especially from a sales guy in a tire store.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yea I think I'm gonna go ahead with the Triple Tread. I hope I don't regret it.

To the people that say they are noisy, does the sound get better or worse as they wear? I'm not a very picky person, but I hope it's not so loud that I can't have a conversation.

Some people say these tires are hard to balance. Is this true, or are they no more different than any other tire?

·
Registered
557 Posts
As long as you rotate them often it the unidirectional tread design won't kill you the only thing to be cautious about is bumping into curbs your right tires can be worn out if you aren't careful when parking that and you will kill your alignment.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yea I think I'm gonna go ahead with the Triple Tread. I hope I don't regret it.

To the people that say they are noisy, does the sound get better or worse as they wear? I'm not a very picky person, but I hope it's not so loud that I can't have a conversation.

Some people say these tires are hard to balance. Is this true, or are they no more different than any other tire?
I bought the triple treads. They are quieter than the OEM Continentals that came on the CRV. They have very good traction on dry and wet roads. I am hoping they will be as good on snow and ice. My mileage did take a 1 mpg drop with the change. I wasn't very happy about that, but overall I am very satisfied with them.

I have about 6000 miles on them now and will be taking them in for a rotation soon.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I bought the triple treads. They are quieter than the OEM Continentals that came on the CRV. They have very good traction on dry and wet roads. I am hoping they will be as good on snow and ice. My mileage did take a 1 mpg drop with the change. I wasn't very happy about that, but overall I am very satisfied with them.

I have about 6000 miles on them now and will be taking them in for a rotation soon.
I have used Triple Treads and I will tell you this there is zero problem with that tire it is fantastic the only issue is going to be with the CR-V. The lack of insulation is your biggest problem but that isn't going to be severe the Trip tread is a good tire they lasted well over 50k on the family van and they only fell out of balance because someone knocked off the weight parking, further more they would have lasted until 80 if we hadn't cut the side wall on a curb.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i have the assurance tripletread tires on my '07 civic and like them a lot. i don't know that they make the right sizes and load ratings for cr-v in the assurance line of tires. on the goodyear website there is a triple tread truck/suv tire.
as to the rotation thing-directional tires are rotated differently than conventional tires. this is obvious and it is no big deal. maybe you won't need to rotate them anyway...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Triple Treads

I had a set of Goodyear Triple Treads installed this morning. I chose these because of all the positive recommendations. On the drive home I could not believe that they were just as noisy as the Bridgestone OEMs that came with the CRV.

I will keep you posted as the tires wear.

·
Registered
196 Posts
tirerack.com

I always check on tirerack to see what tires people like. Their site is wonderful and they have many thousands (maybe millions) of reviews of tires by users of those tires. Great site to compare. You can purchase here, too, but will have to pay extra locally to you to mount them and such.

As for directional tires, I have directional Michelin's (HydroEdge), and they are fine. It is advisable, as mentioned above, to tell the mechanic when you do want them rotated that they are directional. I had to stop some mechanics on my car as they begain to put them on in a typical X pattern.

You do need to rotate tires, even if it is just front-back. Tire wear is different and dependent on how you drive and what you drive on. If you only drive making right turns (I know someone that won't make lefts), then you'll definately wear out the left tires more. With rotating tires, you'll ensure a more even wear on all tires.

Have fun with your new tires! I love getting new tires... makes the ride feel new all over again.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I've got the triple treds, great in the snow. No louder then the OEM tires imo.
I had a set of Goodyear Triple Treads installed this morning. I chose these because of all the positive recommendations. On the drive home I could not believe that they were just as noisy as the Bridgestone OEMs that came with the CRV.

I will keep you posted as the tires wear.
Noise is very subjective. I don't think tires as much as "wind noise" makes a difference in our CRV

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.