Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beyond frustrated. I have been driving a lemon CRV since the day I bought it in March 2010. Within the first few months there was a knocking noise. When I took it to the dealer they said it needed oil. The noise went away and they said whenever the sound returns to put oil in-so I did-to the tune of 2-4 quarts between oil changes basically since I have had the car. In Feb. 2011 they changed the consumption gauge so even they knew there was an issue. Finally, over 5 years later the oil consumption recall comes. How convenient, after everything is out of warranty. Meanwhile, the Takata airbag recall arrives. While driving the rental car for the last 2.5 months the dealer addressed the oil consumption recall replacing the pistons/rings-whatever was to spec. I am very concerned about overall engine longevity and sure enough while fixing the oil recall they call to say the catalytic converter is bad-super expensive. I filed a complaint with Honda and they offered to cover 50% I declined-I am unemployed and need the car to get to interviews. So I get the call last week that the airbags are fixed and they mention that the brakes may be bad but may also just be due to sitting for 2 months-which makes no sense. I pick the car up and there is a thumping sound every time I brake all the way home. I was petrified to drive. In addition, the check engine light is on. When I left the car it was fine and 2 months later I pick it up and it has no brakes and they never realized the engine light is on? I called to ask about the issues and they said to make an appointment to bring the CRV back so they can see what other work needs to be done, most likely brakes and/or rotors which only have 10,000 miles on them. So in summary I have driven a crap car since I purchased it, spent tons of money on synthetic oil, put up with a rental car for months and now have a CRV that I can't even drive since it is unsafe. The car has 118,00 miles and I was planning on drive it for a long time to come. What to do now? I am at a loss but Honda MUST make this right. Any ideas? Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
3,201 Posts
Cars don't appreciate sitting around doing nothing.
Ignore all dealer prophet of doom attempts to take your cash and drive.
The brakes should settle down quickly with use.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
They MUST do what THEY choose to do.

For the brakes, its probably built up rust from sitting and not being driven for 2 months. Very common to happen. If that didnt measure the pad thickness or rotor thickness, unless the pads are visibly worn which is easy to see. From the sounds of it, you need to find a different shop for basic maintance

As for the check engine light, if in any state except for CA I believe, many parts stores will come out to your vehicle and read the code for free and even reset it in many cases. That way you can find out if its something simple like a loose gas cap or something more complex.

Anyways, welcome to the forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts