Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So mad! Found a small dent upper front of door passenger side this morning. Went to Gerber Collision and the guy told me the paintless dent removal should fix it and it would be a couple of hundred dollars. He took a few photos and sent it to the dent removal guy. He called back and said the guy told him due to the location of the dent he can't get to it. So now they have to the full repair and remove the whole door panel, trim and side mirror and have to do a paint job. Estimate is around $600!

My question is shoould I have them do the repair or bring it back to Honda to do the bodywork. I am worried about the paint matching. I hate people who bang into other people's doors!

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
I feel for you. I just recently had someone scrape my car, and they didn't even leave a note. They hit the front door, front fender (bent the fender liner too), my wheel, my tire, and my front bumper. I'm almost positive it was the trashmen that came by a couple hours or so before I went out to my car that morning. But, alas, I do not have camera footage of the incident.

The price seems about right though. I accidentally hit someone a few months back while backing out of a parking spot and it wound up costing me about $750..and it was an 06 rav4 and was not quite as bad as your ding. I'm pretty sure the girl got a few quotes and gave me the highest one since I was paying out of pocket. That's life I guess.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Just about any time you have to paint anything, it's $500. A "Honda" body shop won't have any "special sauce", all body paint is custom-matched. (Factory paint isn't the same as body-shop paint.)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Try a different paint less dent removal company. Someone might be able to improve it to an acceptable level. I don't know that I would paint the entire door for it. It sucks, makes me sad to hear that that happened.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So mad! Found a small dent upper front of door passenger side this morning. Went to Gerber Collision and the guy told me the paintless dent removal should fix it and it would be a couple of hundred dollars. He took a few photos and sent it to the dent removal guy. He called back and said the guy told him due to the location of the dent he can't get to it. So now they have to the full repair and remove the whole door panel, trim and side mirror and have to do a paint job. Estimate is around $600!

My question is shoould I have them do the repair or bring it back to Honda to do the bodywork. I am worried about the paint matching. I hate people who bang into other people's doors!
Looks like you may be able to cover it with body side molding.Probably you can do it yourself.
they are available in plain or color matched.Regards

·
Registered
138 Posts
Try a different paint less dent removal company. Someone might be able to improve it to an acceptable level. I don't know that I would paint the entire door for it. It sucks, makes me sad to hear that that happened.
I agree, couple of years ago the local Dent Wizard guy fixed a crease on the body line of my RDX, 2 hours and $250 later it was totally gone. Check with another PDR guy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would probably save the money and leave the dent if only it wasn't a brand new car and I have only had it 2 months! I feel sick every time I look at that dent on my beautiful new CRV ��

·
Banned
806 Posts
I guess I'm not getting why the dent removal guy can't get it due to location. Isn't there just a door panel on the other side? My guess is he just didn't want to deal with it. Just like everything if they are too busy they will come up with some reason to pass on it. I personally would find another PDR guy. Every dealership uses them. I'm sure if you just called any dealership that you trusted they would set you up with the guy they use. I had a nasty ding once in the center of my hood. Met the guy at the dealership and he removed it. I want to say it cost me around $75. It was a dent similar to what I see in your picture.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would probably save the money and leave the dent if only it wasn't a brand new car and I have only had it 2 months! I feel sick every time I look at that dent on my beautiful new CRV ��
I understand!

Just keep mind that any bodywork job you get done will result in a "repaired" car, with a less than perfect paint job (those pearl whites are hard to match). Anyone with a good eye will see it, so your car's market value will drop.

Look for a guy that will do it without painting the door, or leave it as-is with one of those band-aid stickers ;)

·
Banned
806 Posts
I understand!

Just keep mind that any bodywork job you get done will result in a "repaired" car, with a less than perfect paint job (those pearl whites are hard to match). Anyone with a good eye will see it, so your car's market value will drop.

Look for a guy that will do it without painting the door, or leave it as-is with one of those band-aid stickers ;)
I have a good eye and notice things that most wouldn't. If the painter knows how to paint and is good, you will never notice a difference. Doesn't matter what the color is.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got another PDR guy to do it. He tried but couldn't get it done. Said the metal had really stretched. He doesnt think its from a door but rather a high impact golf ball and yes I live riht next to a golf course! He was able to push it out a bit but not all the way. So my only optiin is to get body work which will be $600 plus and take three days. Should I just leave it and live with it?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,920 Posts
He was able to push it out a bit but not all the way.
Got a picture of the result?

Yeah once the metal stretches you can usually see it. (Especially an owner who KNOWS where it blemish is).

Even when you do get it painted, something could be a little 'off' with the finish. Or, whatever filler they use will shrink a bit over time. :mad:

·
Registered
679 Posts
I really strongly vote for not painting your door. It will never ever come back the same in texture. Maybe they'll match it properly but my experience with paintwork has been very negative at the best shops. It looks great out of the shop and when it cures a few months later the texture changes, it's unavoidable as the process and conditions of painting at a body shop is different than the factory. If a skilled body shop can work that area and paint only that area with minimal discernible mismatch I would opt for that but that's unlikely, they'll want to paint the whole door and maybe even blend to adjacent panels. Not worth it for a dent. It sucks and hurts I know.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts