1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have a dent on the tailgate:
rear.jpg

Someone bumped into the spare wheel.

I want to remove the dent by taking off the rear interior panel, and then hammering (mallet) it out from the inside.
interior.jpg

1. Is this possible? I want to hammer the area shown in green above, after taking off the plastic panel. I wonder if there are components in the way even if I take the panel off. I plan to use a wooden rod and hammer the rod.

2. I heard I need to remove the screw at the hook (red area) first, but how do I access the screw?

3. After removing the screw, can I just use a chisel or flat head to remove the plastic panel?

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/110129-how-can-i-remove-dent-tailgate.html

Remove middle piece over the hatch first. Then the two side pieces. Remove the screw and then remove the main panel.

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/18-exterior/114898-2nd-gen-tailgate-handle-not-working.html

I removed mine and a few of the blue clips were damaged and one of the connectors from the panel sheared off. Plan on having a few mishaps.
I'm surprised I need to remove the pieces by the hatch first before removing the main panel. Is that mandatory?

What tool did you use to get the panels off? Did you pry it open with a chisel or something? I'm not too familiar with those clips.

Thanks

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm surprised I need to remove the pieces by the hatch first before removing the main panel. Is that mandatory?

What tool did you use to get the panels off? Did you pry it open with a chisel or something? I'm not too familiar with those clips.

Thanks
Look on Amazon or go to Harbor Freight and by the plastic interior trim pry tools. You can get a 4 or 5 piece set for around $10 or less. Very useful if you ever have to change out dashboard lights, etc. too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

I will remove the spare tire first. I am thinking perhaps I don't have to remove the interior trim. Once I remove the spare wheel, I'm sure there are protruding connectors (the part that connects the spare to the body), and that's the cause of the dent in the first place. Maybe I can try to pull on it with a plyer? Or maybe even use a plunger on the dent.

Is that wishful thinking or is it worth a try?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I barely managed to get the main panel off without taking the two side pieces off first. But I had to take them off before I could put the main panel back on. After you see how they are connected you'll agree.

These tools are invaluable!

Door panel pry tool
51spHzXneVL._SL1000_.jpg

Tekton pick and hook set
71f5BE8emJL._SL1500_.jpg

·
Registered
109 Posts
Do not 'hammer' out the dent. You will make it worse than it is. Metal has a memory that most people are not aware of. That is why people like Dent Busters and such are so successful. You gradually 'persuade' the metal back to it's original form. The key word is gradual. Spend a few bucks and have a dent buster type of place do it for you. You won't be sorry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts