Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know what depth of water the CR-R can go through?
I bought a 2007 sport today and in the manual, it said that it should't go through deep water in case it gets mixed with the transmition fluids. Also where in the picture there is the VSA switch, there is the Cruise control master switch. Obviously this is my first Honda. Many thanks
Rog

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
it all depends on how fast you are going. personally i would not go above the center cap of the wheels. i found out personally, 6 inches of water given enough momentum and a ram air intake is more then enough to hydro lock a motor.

·
Registered
687 Posts
On most cars, the concern is the height of the exhaust, since even a small bockage to airflow can confuse the computer, cause a rich conditon and stall the engine.

ON the CR-V, the exhaust is mounted high enough where as others have said, you now want to protect the wheel hubs, CV joints, and possibly contamination of fluids. I beleive the center differential and hte transmisison both have vents on them. The engine crankcase is vented the the airbox to reduce emissions.

So as a good rule of thumb, you're probably limited to maybe 12" of water for an exended distance, and for a short section, maybe 16".

To be safe, if you're not sure of the depth, don't go through it. But either way, stay on the gas to keep the revs up a little... don't go through it super slow, with teh engine idling and riding the brakes. I'm not saying blast throguh it at 30-40mph, but don't crawl at 5mph either. I also won't cross anything that more than 2 car lengths. I figure my momentum could get me past that point.

I'll cross a longer distance if I'm very familiar with the road and am sure it's <12" deep.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
i would say no more then 10mph, if that. i hit a hole going probably 5 and it pushed up the water high enough to get sucked into my motor. the water was up to the bottom of my door when i was stuck in the middle tough, and my crv was lifted 1.5-2''

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for that, i't a little dissapointing that something that has 4x4 capabilities is worse than the 20 year old Volvo that I part exed it for and the cheap and cheerful Suzuki Ignis that my Son has. It also seems to do less MPG the the old 2.3 volvo. I don't intend to go through rivers, it's just that it does flood around here.

I would have thought that something like this would have been build a little better.
Many thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
i would say no more then 10mph, if that. i hit a hole going probably 5 and it pushed up the water high enough to get sucked into my motor. the water was up to the bottom of my door when i was stuck in the middle tough, and my crv was lifted 1.5-2''
Another caution is to watch out for the wake caused from passing traffic. There is always some hot rod who wants to see if his rig will float at 60MPH.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Two concerns, if you will.

1. When you are talking about going through water on the road, I hope you're talking about going through a small creek on your way to a camp site. I would hope that you're not thinking of driving around a "low-water" barrier set up after a rain storm. Here in San Antonio, the problem of people driving around protective barriers got so bad that the city instituted a $400.00 fine if the city has to come get you out of the water. You know what the force of moving water is like when you see a VIA metro transit bus pushed 50 feet off the road because the driver thought the bus could make it through the crossing.

2. How air-tight is your V? Any leaks around the doors? Would hate to replace your carpet & padding if it wasn't & it did.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I am seriously wishing that I had researched this better
i mean, did you seriously think the cr-v was made to cross rivers and ford trails? its a compact crossover, not a k5 blazer or jeep wrangler :rolleyes:

just becuase it is 4wd dont make it a offroad beast, granted many people do take them offroad with surprising results, but then again i did and there is a reason i dont own it anymore

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies, I am in Essex in the UK, I only expect it to do what my old Volvo would do i.e. 12 - 18 inches when the roads around occasionally flood, the inferance from the manual "water mixing with the transmission fluid and washing the grease out of the bearings" to me meant possibly 6 - 7 inches. I spoke to my local dealer today and they said that they hadn't had a problem with any yet so I feel a little more confident. It never crossed my mind when I bought it, having never seen comments like that in any of the cars that I or my family have owned.

Rog

·
Registered
10 Posts
water crossing

i took mine through about two to three feet of water about 3 times, it was probably about 10 to 15 feet long.vmade it through fine everytime, but then the tranny went cause water got inside

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is worrying, I thought originally that I had bought a reasonably useful car, now I'm worried about the Autumn and winter, sounds like I've bought a delicate vulnerable toy. You just confirmed my worry following the warning burried in the manual. Not a well built car after all. Shame on Honda

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
That is worrying, I thought originally that I had bought a reasonably useful car, now I'm worried about the Autumn and winter, sounds like I've bought a delicate vulnerable toy. You just confirmed my worry following the warning burried in the manual. Not a well built car after all. Shame on Honda
It is a well built "car". The CRV was never designed as a hard core four wheeler. The RT4WD system is only meant to be a traction aid. Submerging the transmission in 3 feet of water a few times is not a fair test of how well built a car is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is just that with all the cars my family and I have had before (this is the first 4x4) the only issue with going through water is the air intake, never the transmission. It seems odd that the bit of the car that is most likely to get wet either from splashing or puddles is so vulnerable.

·
Registered
687 Posts
The issue isn't from splashing and puddles, it's from prolonged submersion. Driving though 12" of water won't be a problem. Driving briefly trough a 16-24" deep puddle probably won't be an issue either. Driving through a 3' deep creek 100' long, could be a problem.

Anyone who drive through water over 12" deep is asking fr trouble anyway. Water above 2' runs the risk of the engine stalling since it's above the exhaust. The floorpan is only about 16" off the ground.

We have a Jeep Cherokee at work. It can probably drive through deper water than my CR-V. But for the other 99.999% of the miles I drive, my R_V handles better, has better road manners, brakes a LOT better and has a much larger and better quality interior. THe newest CHerokee's may be nicer, but the cost almost 2X that of the CR-V so it's not a fair comparison.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Lot of useful information provided by the members here. Most vehicles subjected to deeper than normal water excursions are still going to need maintenance to prevent future problems. IMO if there was an emergent need to cross a flooded road the CRV would perform competently as long as the exhaust path is clear. The CRV was never designed to be a serious off-roader but its electronic complexity can make it more fragile than your old volvo.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think this is the max it could go. :)

Seriously, I've seen CR-Vs commonly driving on knee-deep floods without any issues. If that would be a common problem in your area, then a true 4x4 would really be required.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts