Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 79 Posts
Square lights on a round car,get the factory fogs. Easily done and adds value to the car, almost anything you install from a common auto-store is generic and decreases the value. If you're trying to go as crazy as my car, understand that mine is 8 years old, and has 140,000 miles on it, and is only worth about $10,000 sitting stock. WHile I have put A LOT of money into it, I'm talking about $3,000 in stereo equipment, and $1,000 on modifications and performance settings, and $2,000 on paint, the car is not now worth $16,000, you can pretty much take whatever you put into that and subtract it from the original price, so I'm looking at $5,000 to sell it to a normal person, but someone who enjoys the mods and wants this particular car, would give me the $16,000 but you gotta find someone who wants THAT EXACT CAR in THAT EXACT CONDITION, which is likely to be 1 person other than you in the entire world. It starts with those lights that you have there, then you decide they look like crap, so you get new lights, then those need a bar to protect them because you notice they get chips in them while driving, $200,
Now you want a roof rack with more lights on it, $300, but now the grill doesn't look that good with the lights, then the color white doesn't suit you anymore, or you kept drilling holes and slipping with the drill, and now you need a new paint job. $1,000. Etc... etc... etc... Oh then there's the "you didn't wire the lights correctly, and shorted a lot of other stuff"...

The reason we say to leave it stock is because we ALL had high school cars. You wanna see my High-School car when I bought it brand new in 2001?

Here she is:

It would have looked just fine and only 2 years old at the time...
Why is there bull horns? I THOUGHT THEY WOULD LOOK COOL AT THE TIME! They didn't did they? Guess how I mounted them? I drilled a hole in the hood of the car, brilliant right? The hole orignally was used to mount a removable strap for driving lights much like the ones you got, then I had to make the hole bigger for the horns.

Well, I grew out of them, cause they kept getting stolen, cut the bolt hole out, and welded in a new piece of metal and flushed it, and repainted the hood in the paint shop I was working at.... BUT IT DIDN'T STOP THERE! Couple hundred more trips to Best Buy, Autozone, and the paint shop, and I wound up with this:

I had a pontiac as my first car, and I don't really count it, because it was 14 years old at the time, and only ran about 2 weeks a year, inbetween fixing it.

I spent $10,000 OF MY OWN MONEY on that Jimmy, and after all that, the differential broke, the transmission was destroyed, and the Engine was ceased, I sold it to a junk yard for $260, and sold the rear window for $200, so I made out about $500 for a $10,000 car I only had for about a year, maybe more.

After that, I did not mod any more cars because it was such a waste, I had an Audi A6, a Porsche 1911, and a Chevy Silverado, and they were all kept stock, then I got the Cr-v, and now that i have a real paycheck (not minimum wage) and time, I mod it correctly, sometimes cheap to make projects, but I have the time and cash to work with it. My car started like this:

And I POSITIVELY added modifications that made it look better, not worse. No alternate useless lights, nothing like that, appropriate and good stereo and sound system, real seats (not painted black, that didn't work) and a REAL paint job, not done by myself, even though I could have done it, I just don't have a shop large enough anymore. I also bought it specifically to play with. I have two other cars to drive if it breaks.

The point of this enyclopedia article post is to tell you it's hard to stop, so we're all trying to keep you from starting, to save you the horrible time we went through trying to sell our cars after high school after we "improved" them. You've been handed a $20,000 car, we want to see you sell it in 5 years for at least $10,000. k?
your pictures and story reminds me of my very first car, a 1977 4 door rabbit with 4 speed manual tranny w/about 40,000+ original miles that i bought for C$1,000 of my own money. :D

i did all sorts of mods on the car, totally went crazy. the car was great for the first year. after that, i would have some sort of problem every few months and i would be fixing it and dumping more money. in the end (after about 2-3 yrs), i have dumped around C$4k to C$5k worth of mods/repairs. when i sold the car, i only got C$1,000 for it with all the mods. nobody even wants it when i asked C$2k. :(

nowadays, i dont go crazy on mods anymore. i just get a decent vehicle with all the options i want/need. thats about it. save money for something else. :)

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Alright well I went back to Advanced Auto Parts and returned the driving lights. While I was there I bought some Rain-X Orange wiper fluid. It is de-icer to -25F and removes bugs and other road grime better then the regular fluid, it also is treated with Rain-X. I dumped some in the tank before I left the store and I am impressed to say the least. :D When just removing dirt or mud it is working so much better! No streaks like the old stuff left. It was almost like the fluid was eating away the dirt and grime. I have had people tell me that the Rain-X is a joke and all the washer fluid is, is orange colored, overpriced, regular washer fluid. Now I am laughing at them! It works great! I tried to get a picture of the water beading up on the windshield but it is raining and I had my camera in a ziplock bag. LOL. At least you can make out the rain-x latitude wiper blades I put on the other day.

As far as driving lights go I think I am going to have the customization shop put in some HID lights. They said it would only be about $200 and from what I have heard from everyone else here they seem like a good buy. I may also install some stock OEM fog lights in the bumper if I can get them cheap enough and if they are easy enough to install. I would rather not remove the bumper. I may see if the customization shop could/would install the lights if I brought everything to them. I may also add a roof rack and install a few driving lights up there just like the V in this post:

2002 with Auxillary Lights

I need to find out how much a roof rack would cost though. The first thing I will probably do it add the HID lights. I think my dad would be OK with this because they would probably add to the value of the car. I will need to talk to him. Also as far as a roof rack I also think he would be OK with that because that would also add to the value of the car. The fog lights I can get on eBay for about $40. I was thinking about these?:

2006 HONDA CR-V JDM OEM DRIVING FOG LIGHTS

They seem like a good deal just hard to install. I just called the customization shop and they said that they would want to see the lights before they would say if they could install them or not. I don't see why they couldn't install those. Also, if the fog lights were to burn out, is it hard to replace the light bulb? Or is it just like replacing a headlight?

These are the bullets in that eBay auction. Look at the excellent grammer and sentence structure, lol!

*Improves driver visibility and make night travel safer

*Upgrade your vehicle with a racing looking

*100% Brand New and Waterproof

*Professional installation recommended

*Not come with instruction

You get what you pay for with this stuff. There's a reason that these are so much cheaper (aside from Honda's mark-up), alot of excellent materials and research and design go into Honda parts and an OEM "Style" foglight is still just some no name brand's cheap copy and possibly inferior components. Maybe those will work forever and will be just as good as OEM for you and to answer your question, yes you should be able to change the bulb in that foglight, although like alot of ads like this on eBay they are aren't really clear about the specs and as you can read in the ad, it "Not come with instruction" so you're on your own, lol. It's all up to what you want but IMHO putting any knockoff lights on your car, even cutting and fitting to oem location, will not increase the cars value. There is TONS of this knock off trash on eBay these days and it ropes people into thinking that it looks OEM so must be as good plus they fill their title with "OEM JDM EDM Brand NEW!!!!1" and in fine print inside it says OEM "Style". Getting a roof rack would work if you wanted to drill in cheap lights but roof racks aren't cheap either! You should go to this link and buy the OEM Fog light kit. It's on sale for a great price compared to retail and it's Honda, New and you can see installation instructions and details on their site!

http://www.handa-accessories.com/crvext05.html

H and A > eBay for later model CR-V stuff!

Discussion starter · #26 ·
These are the bullets in that eBay auction. Look at the excellent grammer and sentence structure, lol!

*Improves driver visibility and make night travel safer

*Upgrade your vehicle with a racing looking

*100% Brand New and Waterproof

*Professional installation recommended

*Not come with instruction

You get what you pay for with this stuff. There's a reason that these are so much cheaper (aside from Honda's mark-up), alot of excellent materials and research and design go into Honda parts and an OEM "Style" foglight is still just some no name brand's cheap copy and possibly inferior components. Maybe those will work forever and will be just as good as OEM for you and to answer your question, yes you should be able to change the bulb in that foglight, although like alot of ads like this on eBay they are aren't really clear about the specs and as you can read in the ad, it "Not come with instruction" so you're on your own, lol. It's all up to what you want but IMHO putting any knockoff lights on your car, even cutting and fitting to oem location, will not increase the cars value. There is TONS of this knock off trash on eBay these days and it ropes people into thinking that it looks OEM so must be as good plus they fill their title with "OEM JDM EDM Brand NEW!!!!1" and in fine print inside it says OEM "Style". Getting a roof rack would work if you wanted to drill in cheap lights but roof racks aren't cheap either! You should go to this link and buy the OEM Fog light kit. It's on sale for a great price compared to retail and it's Honda, New and you can see installation instructions and details on their site!

http://www.handa-accessories.com/crvext05.html

H and A > eBay for later model CR-V stuff!
Yeah, I did notice the excellent grammer in that post. Well, I was talking to my dad and he told me that he thinks I should do an audio system instead of the lights. The whole reason I wasn't planning on doing an audio system was because I didn't think that he would want me to. There is a local car customization shop that is having a special right now. It includes 2x 15" JL Subs, Box, 400W Amp, installed for $600 +wiring which varies per car. That isn't a bad deal considering my friend put 2 12" kenwoods, a 1800W amp, and built a box for almost $1000. My question is, is this package going to be as good as the unit that my friend built. His hit REALLY hard! These just seem almost too cheap. I can't imagine that 400W is enough for 2 15" subs... is it? If I did do subs I would need to upgrade my head unit with something that has RCA outs. I was looking at a nice one from Pioneer, but it costs $320! I would be looking at about $1000 to do this total. That is a lot of money and I just don't know if it would be worth it for me. I would love to have it and all, but $1000 is a lot.

Any suggestions?

I'd just put components in the front doors, coax's in the rear doors, and one 12" sub. Get yourself a good HU and a good 4 channel amp, use 2 channels for the fronts, and the other 2 for the sub. I run Rockford Fosgate gear in both of my cars and love it.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
I'd just put components in the front doors, coax's in the rear doors, and one 12" sub. Get yourself a good HU and a good 4 channel amp, use 2 channels for the fronts, and the other 2 for the sub. I run Rockford Fosgate gear in both of my cars and love it.
Ok... I could do that but the main reason I would upgrade the sterio would be for bass. If I am gonna do a subwoofer then I want a lot of subwoofer. :D Lots of bass. LOL. I was looking at either one of these for headunits:

Kenwood

OR

Pioneer

They both look good. I like the Kenwood because it has front USB, but the Pioneer has bluetooth and I have a droid so I could use Stereo Bluetooth. These are both pretty expensive but if I upgraded the head unit then saved a little more money and did the subs I could have a pretty good audio system in just a few months. I would/could do the head unit pretty soon, like in the next week or so. Then after a few weeks of saving from my job I could have enough for the subs. After I do HU and subs I could then upgrade the internal speakers in the doors. Those are last priority to me.

So, the order I would do things would be:

• Head Unit
  • Subs
  • Regular Speakers

I would probably not do the regular speakers for a while, the stock ones are alright. When I do lights it would be in this order:

• HID Conversion
  • OEM Fog Lights
  • Roof Rack with Driving lights

Sound good to all of you? LOL. :D

If bass is your main goal, be prepared to drop some cash on sound deadening mat. I have Rockford Fosgate Deadskin in both cars, but all that stuff is pretty much the same. I think edead is the cheapest?

It sounds like you have your first phase mapped out, so go for it.:)

Build your car for you, and no one else. There's a guy on here who traded in a pretty cool 1st Gen for a Full size Blazer, and I still like him, he's doing what he wants to do.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
If bass is your main goal, be prepared to drop some cash on sound deadening mat. I have Rockford Fosgate Deadskin in both cars, but all that stuff is pretty much the same. I think edead is the cheapest?

It sounds like you have your first phase mapped out, so go for it.:)

Build your car for you, and no one else. There's a guy on here who traded in a pretty cool 1st Gen for a Full size Blazer, and I still like him, he's doing what he wants to do.
Yeah. So I think this will be the order that I do everything. I know what I want todo to the V I just need some money first. :D

Ok so basically the order I want to do things is this:

• Head Unit
  • Subs
  • HID Lights
  • OEM Fog Lights
  • Roof Rack
  • Driving Lights
  • Internal Speakers

Sound good? It would be a while before I get it done... Somewhere in there I will have to get new tires also, I am still on the originals and they are getting to the end of their life.

Discussion starter · #32 · (Edited)
If I had your gen V I would be jumping on that deal on H and A for those foglights, lol. That's pretty cheap for complete legit OEM fogs, makes me wish I had one that generation.
Hmm, alright. I am about to get a debit card and when I do I will see if they still have that sale going on. I thought it was pretty cheap considering honda wants $250 per fog light.

EDIT:

I just looked at the installation manual for the fog light kit and it is a pain in the ass to install! I don't want to tackle that myself and I am sure the customization shop would charge a lot to install them. I may not do fog lights after all....

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Yep two 15" Kicker CVR's!! I will let you know tommorrow as my subs are sitting under the christmas tree :)

It should slam.

Andrew
Haha, great!

My car hit a milestone today. It rolled over to 25,000 miles! :D

That's a little overkill Andrew. There's no way you can listen to that at a reasonable level, and now your trunk is gone, but to each his own ya know?;)
Haha thats how I roll ;)

Didnt have any trunk before so I will manage plus I get more bass!! I agree though its kind of over kill but I am happy with it.

I am also thinking about getting a double din touch screen head unit with my christmas money as well as some neosupreme seat covers.

Also for 2010 I will be figureing out what I am running as far as center consel Idea..

Andrew

Yeah get some good seat covers, the Autozone ones I see on there now aren't going to cut it mate...;) That's just too much bass for my personal tastes, and I need all the cargo room I can get.

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Haha thats how I roll ;)

Didnt have any trunk before so I will manage plus I get more bass!! I agree though its kind of over kill but I am happy with it.

I am also thinking about getting a double din touch screen head unit with my christmas money as well as some neosupreme seat covers.

Also for 2010 I will be figureing out what I am running as far as center consel Idea..

Andrew
Damn! How much did you get for christmas!?!?! The customization shop here has 3 or 4 touchscreen headunits but they are all $750+

I am gonna get this one because it is cheaper and still has a lot of the features:

Pioneer Head Unit

21 - 40 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.