Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:confused: Sorry for the long post, but please read!

I just received my Appradio 4 and PAC RP4-HD11 for an install in my 2014 Honda CR-V. I'm really confused about a few things so here goes:

1) The PAC unit has what looks like 4 RCA connectors for speakers coming out of it (see pic A) but the wiring harness for the Appradio 4 can't connect to these (see pic A)... The Appradio 4 itself does have connections for these (see pic B) but these are only labeled front/rear but don't tell you what's right/left and are only colored red/white. My question is: do the PAC RCA connectors go to the back of the Appradio 4 and how do I know what's left or what's right? And where do the ones from the Appradio 4 wiring harness go to (pic A on the right)? See pic C for the PAC diagram.

A. RCA speaker wires from PAC and speaker wires from Appradio 4 harness: http://i.imgur.com/lS6cfGX.jpg

B. Appradio 4 front/rear outputs: http://i.imgur.com/2LtgI5p.jpg

C. PAC wiring diagram: http://i.imgur.com/Ch7u2He.jpg

D: Current wiring as a whole: http://i.imgur.com/ZJlCyXZ.jpg

2) There are several wires not listed on the PAC or Appradio 4 install manuals, this includes a blue w/ white strip wire labeled SYSTEM REMOTE CONTROL on the Appradio 4 harness and one that comes out of the PAC with same colors, do these just go together? As you can see in pic C the blue with white stripe is not even listed! :eek:

3) There is also a red wire coming out of Appradio 4 harness and one coming out of PAC, do these go together? As you can see in pic C, PAC lists the wire as "Accessory Output (1 amp)" but on the manual for the Appradio 4 the red wire coming out of the Appradio 4 harness is labeled "To electric terminal controlled by ignition switch (12 V DC ON/OFF). Since I'm a newbie this is throwing me off!

4) There are 4 wires on the PAC labeled "Navigation Outputs" (red/white, green, orange/white, violet/white) - These are listed in pic C, so I figure the orange / white on the Appradio 4 harness is for illumination (am I correct?), The green is listed on PAC as the Reverse Output, does this connect to the violet/white on the harness which is labeled "Reverse Gear Signal Input"??

Also, the red/white on the PAC says it's Parking Break Output -- I'm using a bypass so does this just simply go to the bypass connection with the Appradio 4's parking break connection? Lastly, the purple/white on the PAC says "Vehicle Speed Output" -- I have absolutely no clue where this goes on the Appradio 4 harness?

5) There is a white/black wire coming out of Appradio 4 harness but there is none on the PAC and I have no idea what it's for?

6) I accidentally bought a Metra wiring harness for the car (Metra 70-1729), but noticed that it had an extra orange wire that the harness coming out of the PAC does not, does anyone know what this is for?

·
Registered
211 Posts
The colors don't line up 100%. Sit down with the two install manuals and make a diagram of what connects to what before touching the wires again. (Edit to change) My wiring diagram is all funky due to how I did it with an extra connector, so I won't post it. There is this note:

Not used from Pac Audio
Dimmer - Orange
SWC - Blu/Yel

1. Only do this if you do NOT have an amp!!!! Cut off the RCA from the PAC Audio. Ignore the RCA on the Appradio, those are outputs to an amp.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/SPH-DA120_InstallationManual070714.pdf
Page 8 has the Appradio speaker wire colors for no amp connections.

2. Again, if you do not have an amp, Blue/White on Appradio goes to Blue (or Blue/White, there is only one wire) Antenna harness wire. PAC blue wire is not used.

3. Red to red in this case.

4. Ignore and cap off the Speed, only used for GPS units.

5. White/black is one of the speaker wires.

6. Not certain about that, but possiblly the Dimmer line. NOT the Illumination signal!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The colors don't line up 100%. Sit down with the two install manuals and make a diagram of what connects to what before touching the wires again. (Edit to change) My wiring diagram is all funky due to how I did it with an extra connector, so I won't post it. There is this note:

Not used from Pac Audio
Dimmer - Orange
SWC - Blu/Yel

1. Only do this if you do NOT have an amp!!!! Cut off the RCA from the PAC Audio. Ignore the RCA on the Appradio, those are outputs to an amp.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/SPH-DA120_InstallationManual070714.pdf
Page 8 has the Appradio speaker wire colors for no amp connections.

-- I'm confused what you mean by this, I don't know whether I have a factory amp or not but I checked under the seats and found nothing? This is a base model 2014 Honda CR-V LX. Are you saying that if I don't have an amp I need to cut the RCA connectors on the PAC and wire them to the harness? Because I can connect them into the head unit (it has female RCA if you see the pics)... Sorry just very confused on what you mean?

2. Again, if you do not have an amp, Blue/White on Appradio goes to Blue (or Blue/White, there is only one wire) Antenna harness wire. PAC blue wire is not used.

-- Confused on this one too, are you saying the blue/white on the Appradio 4 labeled (system remote control) goes to the seperate antenna adapter I purchased for this radio?

3. Red to red in this case.

-- Easy enough

4. Ignore and cap off the Speed, only used for GPS units.

--Okay, does it matter that I will be using CarPlay GPS, does the GPS antenna also help my phone get better GPS reception?

5. White/black is one of the speaker wires.

-- I don't understand, what speaker wire is it and where does it go?

6. Not certain about that, but possiblly the Dimmer line. NOT the Illumination signal!!!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Do not just match colors.
Read the RP4 manual carefully -> http://content.abt.com/documents/58161/RP4-HD11_instruction_manual.pdf
Read the AppRadio install manual carefully -> http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/SPH-DA01_AppRadio_InstallationManual.pdf
Match wire functions, NOT colors (although most will match)
All of your questions are answered in the two manuals above.

Before we go much farther, you need to know if you have the CR-V with premium audio with factory amplifier.
Look under your passenger seat. If there is a "subwoofer" in a black plastic box, then you have the premium audio with factory amp. If not, then you have one of the more basic audio systems with no factory amplifier.

^this is important because if you have the factory amp, you will need line-level signals from the AppRadio to connect to the RP4 harness RCAs. If you do NOT have the factory amplifier then you will connect Speaker level outputs from the AppRadio to the RP4 harness.

The White/Black wire from the AppRadio is the minus(-) wire for the Front-Left speaker output (see page 9 of AppRadio manual linked above)

·
Registered
211 Posts
You checked under the passenger seat and did not see a box, then you don't have an amp. Ignore anything to do with an amp in the instructions.

1. On the AppRadio, the RCA speaker outputs are only used if you have an amp. They are not designed to be connected directly to speakers. The RCA in your Picture B are ignored for what you have. Leave the caps on, and coil them up neatly out of the way with a zip tie or something in case you upgrade with an amp in the future.

Since you do not have an amp, you do indeed cut off the RCA connectors from the HD11 harness. If you look at the HD11 manual, in the Illustration/Schematic section, in the Wiring diagram, you will see a tiny pair of scissors in a position of cutting off those RCA connectors, labeled "Cut for Non-Amplifed systems". Cut as close to the RCA as you can to give yourself as much wire as you can.

You need to remove those RCA to connect the speaker wires in your picture A together. The colors all match for the 8 speaker wires, Green to Green, Green/Black to Green/Black, etc.

2. I am saying exactly that. It took me two days of internet searches and a good guess to figure that one out. The CRV antenna is a power antenna, and needs 12 volts sent to it when the radio is on to give you a good signal. The Blue/White wire from the AppRadio puts out 12 volts when the radio is on. Normally that is used to signal an amp to turn on, but you don't have the amp and can use it for the antenna.

3. The three power wire colors are matched Red to Red (switched 12 volt), Yellow to Yellow (always on 12 volt), Black to Black (ground).

4. The GPS in the phone is completely separate from the GPS in the radio. I can't figure out why the AppRadio even has a GPS, since it doesn't have Navigation. Only thing I can think of is that it is used to keep the clock in the radio accurate. If the AppRadio had built in Navigation, the Speed wire would be used to tell the Navigation system how fast the car is going so it can use Dead Reckoning when it can't get a GPS signal. You don't have Navigation in the AppRadio, so the Speed wire from the HD11 is not used.

5. Did you mean the Yellow/Black with the label "Mute" in picture A? It is not used since you don't have an amp.

If you mean some other wire, could you please post a picture as I seem to be confused?

---

Some notes:

I am just some stranger on the Internet giving you free advice, and we all know what that is worth. Connecting things wrong can cost you money, possibly a lot. Be careful and read through the install manuals to check everything yourself.

On the HD11 the these wires are not used in your setup: Orange (Dimmer), Purple/White (Vehicle Speed), Blue/Yellow (Kenwwod, Newer JVC).

The HD11 Orange (Dimmer), not to be confused with Orange/White (Illumination), is only used on radios where the backlighting is variable. Connecting it might fry your dashboard lights.

The wire with a single RCA on one end and white connector on the other that came with the HD11 is not used. It is for an amp.

On the AppRadio harness, only the Yellow/Black (Mute) is not connected.

Connecting the wire for the phone buttons on the Steering wheel you are on your own for. I spent over $60 shipping hardware from the UK to California so I could just plug it in.

Here is what I put together for the wiring, but please double check from the respective install manuals. Make yourself a chart of what connects to what.

-HD11 to AppRadio

Red to Red (switched 12 volt)
Yellow to Yellow (always on 12 volt)
Black to Black (ground)
Orange/White to Orange/White (Illumination/Lighting switch)
Green to Violet/White (Reverse)

Red/White to Light Green (Parking Brake) <- I don't know how the bypass is connected, but I would guess you won't make this connection if you use it

The 8 speaker wires all color match, the pairs of White, Green, Gray, and Purple, solid to solid, black stripe to stripe.

-Antenna harness to AppRadio

Blue/White to Blue/White (Antenna Power/System Remote Control)
Black Coax into the back of the radio
-
To the right of where the radio will be, there is a metal strut that is perfect for putting the GPS antenna on top of. Use a zip tie to hold it in place. That way you can keep the GPS antenna inside the dash. ("Right" presumes you are in the US and that is the passenger side.)

·
Registered
211 Posts
And on this one, Orange/White to Orange/White (Illumination/Lighting switch), the AppRadio won't dim when your headlights are on in Auto mode until Pac-Audio fixes the firmware. There are other sources for the Illumination signal, or you can set the AppRadio to dim based on the time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just goofed up and realized my microbypass tells me not to put the blue part of it on the antenna, it says instead put the antenna on the red wires and the microbypass to the system remote control wire. Any idea of this is correct? (Putting them on the red ones for power?)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Couple more questions -- where exactly does the 3.5mm SWC connection from the PAC go on the AppRadio 4? Or do I need to use the yellow/blue wire coming out of the PAC and hook it into the Appradio 4?

Also there is also a red/white coming out of the back labeled "Parking Break Output (-)" will I be needing this since I'm installing a Microbypass? (The Microbypass documentation says don't connect anything other than the light green parking break wire to it)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes, you can use the Red to the antenna blue/white.

The 3.5 goes into the SWC port in the back of the AppRadio. Blue/yellow is not used.

Parking Brake Output is probably for a backup camera if it is from the AppRadio.

Don't use the HD11 Brake with the micro bypass.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, you can use the Red to the antenna blue/white.

The 3.5 goes into the SWC port in the back of the AppRadio. Blue/yellow is not used.

Parking Brake Output is probably for a backup camera if it is from the AppRadio.

Don't use the HD11 Brake with the micro bypass.

Last question (for now) do I need to connect the green to the violet/white for reverse? What is that used for.

Just a side note, you might be some guy on the internet but you've been a huuuuuuuuge help -- you've replied with massive amounts of details to multiple threads I've asked questions in. You rock dude, very rarely do people go out of their way to help others like you do -- thank you very much!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Forget my last question, installed it and first shot it worked perfectly!!!!!!!! I even managed to get the SWC connection in without splicing factory wires.

Thanks so much for everyone that has helped!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Reverse is mostly for backup camera use through tha AppRadio (not the IMID based backup camera you already have). If you won't have a backup camera, you don't really need it, but I would hook it up anyway. Save you from another unconnected wire.

No worries, glad to help. :)

Don't fry anything! Please do double check everything.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reverse is mostly for backup camera use through tha AppRadio (not the IMID based backup camera you already have). If you won't have a backup camera, you don't really need it, but I would hook it up anyway. Save you from another unconnected wire.

No worries, glad to help. :)

Don't fry anything! Please do double check everything.
I've checked everything like 50 times, and when I plugge it in yesterday everything worked as expected. I also installed this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010H0SL9O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Let's just say I'm one happy dude, EVERYTHING works beautifully now and it's such a huge upgrade.

I do need to upgrade the factory sound system, and take out the center console so I can hook up a USB, and there are also some outside upgrades I want to do when I have money, nonetheless, I've been wanted to do this for a year and it turned out better than what I expected.

Again, I want to thank you 493008 sooooo much, your other threads/posts including this one is probably the reason I didn't fry up my dash board.

Thank you!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I am in a similar boat here, just double checking I am doing everything right before I turn it on. I have a 2012 CRV with premium sound (I checked under the front passenger seat and I have a black box).

1) Instead of cutting my RP4-HD11 RCA connectors, I plug the RCA connectors into the AppRadio 4's Front/Rear RCA outputs?

2) Also, does this also mean I do NOT need to do any further wiring with the white,white/black,gray, gray/black, etc speaker wires coming from the AppRadio 4? Frankly, I dont see how this is possible unless I cut the RCA connectors on the RP4-HD11 since there is no where to wire them into.

3) It was never mentioned above, but the SWC from the RP4-HD11 goes into the AppRadio Wired Remote Input?

4) Finally, the Sub cable from the RP4-HD11 -- does this get plugged into the AppRadio since I have an amp then? Would it go into the Read Audio Output on the App Radio 4?

Im still recovering from the fact that my OEM head unit died. No way I was paying $1,500 for a replacement and there isnt anywhere for me to get a replacement.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I am in a similar boat here, just double checking I am doing everything right before I turn it on. I have a 2012 CRV with premium sound (I checked under the front passenger seat and I have a black box).

1) Instead of cutting my RP4-HD11 RCA connectors, I plug the RCA connectors into the AppRadio 4's Front/Rear RCA outputs?

2) Also, does this also mean I do NOT need to do any further wiring with the white,white/black,gray, gray/black, etc speaker wires coming from the AppRadio 4? Frankly, I dont see how this is possible unless I cut the RCA connectors on the RP4-HD11 since there is no where to wire them into.

3) It was never mentioned above, but the SWC from the RP4-HD11 goes into the AppRadio Wired Remote Input?

4) Finally, the Sub cable from the RP4-HD11 -- does this get plugged into the AppRadio since I have an amp then? Would it go into the Read Audio Output on the App Radio 4?

Im still recovering from the fact that my OEM head unit died. No way I was paying $1,500 for a replacement and there isnt anywhere for me to get a replacement.

Thanks in advance.
I sorted all this yesterday and it all works fine. I've answered my own questions in case anyone else has the same ones

1) Correct
2) Correct, I capped all of these wires off though.
3) Correct
4) The sub cable goes into the bottom left RCA female adapter on the back of the AppRadio.

In addition, the blue and white wire from the RP4-HD11 connects to the blue and white wire from the AppRadio, this wasnt specified in the RC4-HD11 guide.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts