Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice.
I have a 2004 CRV, 180,000km's, very well maintained. Milage has deteriorated over the last few years. Recently replaced plugs, air cleaner and changed oil. Thermostat is new. Starts and runs like a swiss watch but poor milage persists and Honda dealership is useless. HELP!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Here are my suggestions with the caveat that I own a '13 model.
Have you adjusted the valves?
I've read a number of posts describing how they disconnected the battery and essentially 'killed' the memory of the ECU so it had to 'relearn' everything. You might try searching and see if that applies to your model year or not. I would think it's worth a try as there's no telling what 'bad habits' the ECU has picked up in 180k km's if you catch my drift.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Every vehicle out there suffers from this, but in different ways.

Things you may want to check:

Alignment, wheel bearings, suspension bushings and brake calipers. These can all cause drag issues, working against you to make the vehicle harder to move.
Fuel filter and injectors. A bench test to see if they are clogged is worth your time, as these can cause some pretty serious fuel consumption issues.
Individual piston compression testing, and coolant leak down testing. Small losses here can cause the engine to have to work harder, to accomplish the same thing.
Timing, including valve lash adjustment. These can also cause a significant loss of power, creating symptoms mentioned in the previous point.
Catalytic converter operation temperature, and O2 sensor readout. If these are not within proper spec, they could be causing you problems in the exhaust side of things.

It may be worth your time to have your intake manifold and valve body cleaned up with some Seafoam, as they are likely just coated in oil. Don't know if this will improve economy, but it may be a factor.
Also your MAP/Mass Airflow sensor may be coated in some crap. And the EGR system could be stuck slightly open, which robs power at the cost of emissions ratings.

I'm sure there is more to check, but these are things that are quite important to aging engines and vehicle bodies. Though all of the items mentioned may be working just fine, but if they are all slightly out of spec, this could cause you some problems with your economy and overall power delivery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Orange County, good thoughts. Valves have never been touched and the forced 're-boot' hasn't been done for several years since a new battery. I'm dumbfounded as to why dealerships have no answers. Honda engineering is among the most sophisticated on the planet why doesn't that make it to the local dealership?!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Orange County, great suggestions. I'm mystified why one of the most sophisticated engineering company's in the world can't offer a good suggestion through the local dealership.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Marlow - Most dealerships are more concerned with earning money rather than solving problems whose solutions don't involve making them money. It is unfortunate that that is the case, as I always felt like they tried, at least back in their early days, to make you a customer for life. Now, not so much so, I don't think.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Do the valve lash adjustment and then do a compression test. (remember, the valve adj is supposed to be done on a cold engine ie:sitting overnight and not even started to drive it into the bay or garage). The exhaust valves should be adjusted to the max (loosest) value.
That would be a good start.
Take it somewhere to have the engine codes read (may be stored codes).
Does your check engine light come on when you turn the key to on? (this just checks to make sure the bulb is working)
Buffalo4

1 - 7 of 7 Posts