Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in for a driveability issue on 10/4. Same complaint I had it in for in March. Moderate to hard accel at around 3500 rpm it starts to feel like it has a fuel problem. And the long term fuel trim is usually right at -7% (rich).

I drove this time. Last time a tech drove and accelerated like an old lady – once. This time the tech felt it was ‘micro shifts’ of the CVT I was feeling. I also explained the history of the cold engine I had before (coolant temp would barely get above 140 in cold weather – we never even got below 32 here last winter). I always felt this problem never started until about the time my gas-in-oil peaked at 12mm over full.

This tech was new to Honda and had not heard of these problems, but interested in anything I could show him.

He ended up calling the Honda engineers and they provided him with updates for the PCM and TCM.

When I picked up the car, I asked the service writer if he had any reference # for the updates – none. I went out to talk to the tech and he also didn’t have any ref. # - just used what the engineers sent.

The only difference I’ve seen so far is the LTFT has been running at -4% to -1%. (the -1% today after a long stretch at 75 mph)
It will be interesting to see what happens when the temps start dropping.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,027 Posts
he made you happy by doing his job.

·
Registered
988 Posts
It's always difficult to draw conclusions over the short run but sounds like your new possible tweak was in the right direction.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
New radiator pipe......did the dealership install it?:whistle:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New radiator pipe......did the dealership install it?:whistle:
I thought the conclusion was that wouldn't happen in the US. Just software updates.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Update;

Somebody of the facebooks posted a picture of the 2 codes...

Defective Part Number 37820-5PA-C68.
There are 2 "symptom contention codes" N60 and N61 with 2 labour codes 1245A2 1245A4, first contention/labour code states to replace climate control unit, the second one does not.
Defect Code 6DU.

Based on that you must have had N61 where there were no parts to replace, just an oil change and update software... see image.
44383300_10156411791361187_8187457209601359872_o.jpg

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I thought the conclusion was that wouldn't happen in the US. Just software updates.
I was being facetious, that’s why I used the “whistle” emoji.:nod: Nobody I the US calls it a radiator “pipe”.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So we did finally get some cool weather, and the test results are not good.
It appears the PCM update has caused it to regress to it's original behavior.
But, cabin heat does seem to be improved - and I did not get the 'full' fix, so the heater/AC mod was not replaced.

At 36f - 2.4 mi., short 25, 35, and then mostly 50 mph. Max temp 148. Stopped at a light and temp dropped to 127.

At 33f - 4.9 mi. across town, mostly 35 mph stop and go. Max temp 161.

At 51f - was getting the normal rise in temp in about 1 mile, hitting 183, thermostat opens, then runs between 179 - 183.

After a few short trips in the cooler weather, the oil level is rising. When trips are normal and temps above 50f, it burns off and drops back to the full mark.

Had very little time to check shutters, but the 2 times I did check - always open. This is not what I saw last winter.

Back to the drawing board!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Can anyone help me understand why the oil dilution issue would cause a gas smell in the passenger compartment? I know the gas smell is happening but it seems strange that fumes from gas in the oil can get into the passenger compartment.

I'm also wondering if the proposed replacement of the Climate Control unit is designed to eliminate the smell issue or designed to allow the engine to more quickly get up a higher operating temp (in which case will the passenger compartment be deprived of heat longer?). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
177 Posts
So we did finally get some cool weather, and the test results are not good.
It appears the PCM update has caused it to regress to it's original behavior.
But, cabin heat does seem to be improved - and I did not get the 'full' fix, so the heater/AC mod was not replaced.

At 36f - 2.4 mi., short 25, 35, and then mostly 50 mph. Max temp 148. Stopped at a light and temp dropped to 127.

At 33f - 4.9 mi. across town, mostly 35 mph stop and go. Max temp 161.

At 51f - was getting the normal rise in temp in about 1 mile, hitting 183, thermostat opens, then runs between 179 - 183.

After a few short trips in the cooler weather, the oil level is rising. When trips are normal and temps above 50f, it burns off and drops back to the full mark.

Had very little time to check shutters, but the 2 times I did check - always open. This is not what I saw last winter.

Back to the drawing board!

I'm a very new CRV owner - so pardon what might seem to be a stupid question: What "shutters" are you referring to?

·
Registered
177 Posts
The shutters are between the front grill and the radiator.
I assume the shutters are a modern and automated version of blocking part of the radiator with cardboard in winter - to help the engine warm up more quickly. Any idea how the shutters work in conjunction with the the radiator thermostat valve (which shouldn't allow coolant through the radiator until the engine is warmed up)? Seems like having both shutters and a radiator thermostat valve is duplicating efforts.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks for the video link. So the shutters also help reduce the aerodynamic drag? Interesting. I'm assuming they still have a thermostat valve in the cooling system that keeps the coolant from circulating until the engine is warmed up. You'd think with both these features we wouldn't have the slow warm-up issue that they are claiming contributes to the oil dilution issue. Wishful thinking I guess.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts