Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 CR-V, 166,000 miles.

Driver's side door lock broke a few months ago. Key would no longer fit or open it. I've had to crawl in through the passenger side to unlock it (not classy). I should also mention that the power locks haven't worked in nearly ten years (another issue altogether). I took the car to a reputable shop here in Greensboro, NC who gave me a free diagnostic for both the actuators and manual lock. He said the power locks would cost between $700 and $1300 to repair as the actuators were dead. He also said he didn't think it would be cost-effective. I agreed with him.

But I did go ahead and have him replace the driver side lock which involved getting a different key from the original pilot key. The grand total for this service was $210 ($79 for the new lock and $109 for one hour of labor plus taxes and fees). The new lock works fine, and the additional key is not a bother. But does $210 sound reasonable to replace the driver side lock? I know I'm talking about buyer's remorse because I certainly can't take it back. I just want to be more aware in case of future lock issues.

Thanks!

Craig

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Does your receipt have a part # for the lock? You might Google the part # to check cost.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
$79 for a lock doesn't sound too bad. Although it's a shame they couldn't change the tumblers in the cylinder to match the existing key. A dealer would have done that, I'm certain.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
The OEM lock cylinder cost is $43.82 here: 72185-S9A-013 - Genuine Honda Cylinder, L. Door . Can't think of any reason the new cylinder could not be easily re-keyed for the original key by any reputable locksmith or dealer. Doing it yourself would have been much cheaper, but requires a fair level of expertise and mechanical aptitude as well as the tools. A factory service manual and a good set of tools can save a lot of money on these kinds of jobs, but only if you are so inclined. The factory manual has extensive troubleshooting procedures for the system. I would also hazard a guess that the driver's door lock actuator could be responsible for all of them not working, so that if you replaced it, it could get them all working again. Maybe. That actuator assembly runs $61.62. It does involve more work to install.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I originally took it to a locksmith who made it even worse. That could be the reason the tumblers couldn't be changed.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
If you have your key code, I believe you can order the OEM lock cylinder already keyed to your key. I did this on my '91 Honda Civic Wagon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts