Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, my Dad has a 2008 and he is due for his valve adjustment service...having never done one on my 2007 Accord with no issues, does he need to do this service in your opinion??? He is between contracts so the play $$$ isn't there BUT he is willing to do if need be :)
Any thoughts?
Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
How is the performance, i.e. gas mileage, idle, acceleration, etc. If all of that is good I would NOT have valves adjusted. Those are my thoughts. Cheers!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Gen3 does not have / need a scheduled valve adjustments, this was with the older gen1s where a scheduled valve inspection / adjustment is needed.
Who mentioned to him that valves need to be adjusted ? and why ?

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
All Honda K24 engines require a valve adjustment at 110K miles --yes this includes 3rd generation CRV's. The valves will become quiet as they get tighter. The exhaust valve clearances will be close to zero at that mileage and you risk burning valves beyond that. Best to do it by 90K miles if you can. I did mine at 75K and one was at .004 (.011 to .013 spec).

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2014/10/11/valve-adjustment-essential-on-some-hondas.html
Oh ! Thanks for pointing this out. I thought the valve clearance was a thing of the past :(
I have heard this can be an expensive ting to do ??

Just checked the MM documentation on Honda.ca website and as per that the Sub-Item "4" comes up when you are due for valve inspection.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Gen3 does not have / need a scheduled valve adjustments, this was with the older gen1s where a scheduled valve inspection / adjustment is needed.
Who mentioned to him that valves need to be adjusted ? and why ?
This is not true. All K24 engines require valve adjustments because they use solid (not hydraulic) valve lifters. Doesn't matter if the K24 is found in an Accord, CR-V, TSX, or Civic. The exhaust valves tend to tighten over time. The intake valves tend to loosen with time. The intake valves loosening will not hurt the engine, though it may slightly impact performance and mpg. The exhaust valves tightening over time can potentially cause engine damage if the clearance becomes too small and the valve becomes damaged once the engine warms up and expands.

If the car is running well and not making any valvetrain noise, chances are that you may need to do a valve adjustment. However, it is relatively inexpensive to do ($100-200 depending on your shop), so I'd recommend it for peace of mind. Make sure you use a reputable shop that actually does the work, since you will not be able to check that they did the adjustment yourself unless you watch them do it.

I did my adjustment myself on a K24 Accord, and it wasn't too bad. The tools aren't terribly expensive and if you have some mechanical know-how, it's completely doable by yourself. I'd budget 2-3 hours for a first-timer. Be sure to do it on a cold engine.

For the record, when I did the adjustment on the Accord at 125k miles, none of the valves were terribly out of spec. But your experience may vary, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to take off the valve cover and at least check the valve clearance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This morning I adjusted mine (2008 - 107,000 miles). I set the intakes to .008" - very little adjustment needed. The exhaust were ALL tight. I didn't record anything before hand, but was not able to get a .012" feeler gauge under any of them.

Final settings were .008" and .012"

Engine had a little valve tap noise before adjustment, no change after adjustment.

YouTube is your friend.

Can't think of another maintenance job to do to the CRV. I think I've done it all - down to changing the brake fluid. Love the car.
Trent

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've read numerous comments that the valve adjustment is necessary and confirmed that with my local dealer who has proven themselves trustworthy. The exhaust valves in particular tend to tighten over time which can lead to the valve burning by leaking exhaust gases from not closing completely. It is relatively inexpensive (we paid $99 as part of 110K service) to have it done at the dealer and not a very difficult job to do at home, though it looks like there is more work in disassembly / prep than the actual adjustment itself. For these Honda engines, "A slappy valve is a happy valve", meaning they tend to be a bit noisy when properly adjusted. If your valvetrain is very quiet it may well need adjustment.

In summary, for the money the valve adjustment is a very good investment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
- Tried to paste a link but was unable. From Cartalk.com, a discussion about the valve adjustment. Tom and Ray don't agree with Honda about the recommendation to adjust only when noisy. Google cartalk Crv valve adjust.

My noisy valves actually prompted me to do the job. I expected to find sloppy clearance, make adjustments, and have a quiet engine. The tight clearance caught me by surprise. In the process, I spent a couple hours on the Internet and learned that over time the exhaust valves on these engines lose clearance. In my post, I mentioned the noise NOT going away after the adjustment work.

At this point, for me, valve noise or no valve noise is not a good criteria to use. In other words, if you have a noisy valves, don't assume they are all loose. On mine, and others I have read about, my intake were good (likely the noise makers), and the exhaust were tight, at risk, and likely the quiet ones.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I would adjust the valves every 60k just for preventative maintenances. You never know when the exhaust valves get too tight and then you start to burn them. Its not that hard to do and you can give your valve train a quick inspection while you're down there.

The k24 engine are easy to do. Try doing valve adjustment on the honda v6 especially the rear banks. Probably takes 30-60 mins to get it done on the k24's

·
Registered
306 Posts
200? I want to move there... My stealer is at 799. I was offered a 10 percent discount and they do the plugs and gasket.

NKG stock plugs on Amazon: 28
Complete valve cover gasket set on eBay: 43 (that's about list and I didn't shop around). Honda part number: 12030-RTA-000
Blue RTV just in case: 5
Set of offset feeler guages and cool jam nut tightener w/ built-in screwdriver (which you absolutely don't need): 17
Total: 93
I expect it will take a couple hours or so. I read many times to not over tighten either the adjustment screw or jam nut - especially for exhaust valves for reasons mentioned above.

To the gurus... Please check me on this...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts