Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Since I see the repeated argument (just saw it in another unrelated thread here) that "I've never heard of anyone getting ticketed for these lights" (aka anecdotal evidence), I've included a link to one of many posts by a particular peace officer that frequents the candlepower forums and writes tickets for illegal LED and HID retrofits on a regular basis. Now you've heard of someone getting ticketed for it.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?391700-What-I-found-on-the-shelf-today-in-a-major-auto-parts-store&p=4872465&viewfull=1#post4872465

·
Registered
600 Posts
In 1978/79, I sold Hondas at a dealership in Pa. with a salesman who had been an aircraft mechanic. He installed a pair of sealed beam aircraft landing lights in the high beam receptacles of an Accord LX Hatchback that I used as a demonstrator. They were the same size as a round sealed beam auto headlight, but the tabs were in a different locations around the bulb so the didn't quite "fit" in the housing for a car headlight, but with the retainer in place it would hold the bulb in place. These lights were 150,000 candlepower and on a bright sunny day you could see the light pattern on the white painted side of the service building from 100 yards away. The only problem was you could only use them at speed as they got so hot they started to distort the shape of the plastic grill without air flow cooling them. I had them on the car about two weeks and we sold the car with them on it. The guy who bought the car only had it about a month before he totaled the car. That was just one of the many exploits I had in the year I sold cars.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I hate, I know "hate" is a strong word, but I hate people turn their high beam on when there is car around, idiots (sorry another strong word). There are people intentionally leaving them on just so they can see things "better" for themselves; there are people who don't even know there is such thing called "high beam", still idiots in my book - didn't they learn the basics in driving school, or don't they read manual at all?

For those who know they are going to blind people's eyes, yet still decide to install illegal lights, they are not idiots, they are axxholes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Since I see the repeated argument (just saw it in another unrelated thread here) that "I've never heard of anyone getting ticketed for these lights" (aka anecdotal evidence), I've included a link to one of many posts by a particular peace officer that frequents the candlepower forums and writes tickets for illegal LED and HID retrofits on a regular basis. Now you've heard of someone getting ticketed for it.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?391700-What-I-found-on-the-shelf-today-in-a-major-auto-parts-store&p=4872465&viewfull=1#post4872465
One out of how many!!! And we do not even know for sure that he is a leo. He might just be trying to scare people. I ran over powered lights in imported "Euro" spec'ed housings in a VW Jetta for years and was never ticketed, and that was in NYS where vehicles have to pass a safety inspection every year. No inspector ever check the bulbs for the DOT markings. There might be one out there checking them, but they are few and far between! In fact I drove tractor trailer for years, where you hear all the rumors, and never heard of a cop giving tickets for that one!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yes, but did the other driver receive a citation for his "blinding" headlights? Which, BTW, could be blinding and not be aftermarket, only out of proper adjustment.
I am not sure- the cop told my co worker that he would put Illegal headlight modification suspected and it was up to the insurance company to follow up and determine which insurance company would have to Pay.
He did however say headlights looked like it was modified and as a result he was not going to charge my co-worker instead of charging him failure to yield.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I am referring to New York City area. Not some small town. Everyone runs led here its common. The cops are not picky in my situation. Of course it depends on where you live. Most laws are overlooked.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts