Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Everything in Moderation
8,189 Posts
Paint sealants are a waste of time. They are a money-maker for dealerships. Especially if you pay for re-application every year, as they recommend.

Do not confuse sealants with Ceramic Coatings.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paint sealants are a waste of time. They are a money-maker for dealerships. Especially if you pay for re-application every year, as they recommend.

Do not confuse sealants with Ceramic Coatings.
Thanks, I was aware that it was a $ scheme for the dealership and didn't include the "supplemental sticker" in the negotiations.

I was just curious what product they actually applied.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Depends on the dealer, or more accurately what company the dealer outsourced the work too.

Do not pay extra for paint sealants or seat or carpet protectants.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
We had a Pontiac Transport that was Midnight Blue Metallic that we had coated with Final Touch at the dealer when we bought it new. When I first got it home, my mother-in-law noticed that it wasn't applied evenly to the hood. Light was just right etc and it looked like crap. So, I took it back and explained to the sales guy that it wasn't going to cut the mustard, especially if my MIL could spot it. No problem, we'll reapply it. That turned out great and it lasted a good 3 yrs (even with me washing it almost every weekend). Had it reapplied when it didn't bead properly. 5 yrs later I was getting compliments on how the car still looked new. When we traded it in, I showed the sales guy that our van was cleaner than the one we were buying from him. Tailgate jamb was dirty on the newer one. He agreed.
I garage our cars, as much as possible, so they don't deteriorate from being left out in the dew. I don't know how 'car guys' can handle the snow/winter conditions, they'd drive me nuts as I really like driving a clean car.
Any really dark colored car, like black, I'd certainly consider putting a sealant on it, just to cut down on the maintenance of the paint.
Oh, one other thing, I never waxed the Pontiac during the time we had it either.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't know what they put on my 2018 crv I didn't pay extra but 18 months old and the water still beads. See no need to wax it yet. Did have the the special coating on the window sticker but was not in my pricing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Agree dealer applied paint sealants are a money maker for the dealer. Just another pre-sale add on to boost profit. Our dealer out here in Central Oregon does that.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,189 Posts
dealer applied paint sealant
Many dealers do it to ALL their stock upon receipt. Our daughter's HR-V was sourced from an out of state dealer that applied VIN etching and door edge guards. Our dealer didn't charge us for them.

It beads water REALLY well too, so perhaps the original dealer applied a sealant (or at least, a mock 'Ceramic Coating').

·
Registered
156 Posts
Good new paint will bead water for a couple of years without wax, sealer or polish if the weather or storage conditions are mild. That is not a sign that the paint is being sufficiently protected, only that it is not significantly worn AND unprotected.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I'm not real sure about this water beading being a good thing. Our area is well known for a quick thunderstorm/ shower, then the clouds rapidly part leaving brilliant/hot sunshine beating down. Those water beads seem to act like thousands of magnifying glasses, sometimes leaving "burned in" water spots after drying. Sometimes it takes a light compounding to remove them.:(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts