Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 CR-V Touring model with ACC and LKAS. After I set my cruise control, the vehicle gradually loses speed (about 2-4 MPH loss) before eventually recovering to the initially set cruise speed. The most annoying part is that it takes approximately 4-10 seconds to recover this lost speed which is so frustrating when I'm on a busy Interstate or highway! To avoid this, I must accelerate 4-5 MPH over my planned cruise, set the cruise, then back it down to the desired set speed. The radar system for ACC appears to function properly. So AFAIK, my radar isn't falsely sensing another vehicle ahead, causing the CR-V to slow down.

And in case anyone asks: my foot is not touching the accelerator pedal after setting my cruise. At least with this particular CR-V (and presumably other 2015-2016 models w/similar trim level), if I give any input to the accelerator pedal whatsoever while cruise is active, it effectively turns my cruise control off, even allowing the vehicle to drop below its set cruise speed until I completely take my foot off the accel pedal. I have never owned or driven another vehicle that does this. Most cars won't allow your vehicle speed to fall below the set cruise control speed regardless of accel pedal input.

Are these behaviors normal on the CR-V? If not, any solutions for this?

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid EX-L and 2016 CR-V EX
15 Posts
Do you have the Econ button on? If so, try turning it off to see if it makes a difference. Also, dial back the radar to your liking. For me, it seems too far ahead at the longest setting and will slow the car down from a pretty far distance.

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
ACC, cruise is a computer, it may need calibration, if you set to 50MPH you are saying you are doing 46mpg when completed, or back to 50mph when its completed.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,741 Posts
Have you tried switching from ACC back to standard Cruise Control? (Press and hold the "interval" button).
Wondering if the apparent speed error would persist even in standard mode.
I have found ACC to be unpredictable enough that I don't use it unless I am virtually alone on the road, in which case a standard CC is perfectly fine.
I don't think I should have to pay more attention to the CC system than to the road.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,043 Posts
I don't know if you have just bought your Touring or like me have had it since new. There is a real learning curve.

I'm wondering how far ahead of your car you are asking it to look. I typically run at two bars. As for setting the cruise speed, how I do it really depends on whether I know the road layout, volume of traffic etc. Usually, once I've completed the turn and have a straight shot onto the interstate I'll be accelerating manually, while setting the ACC to desired cruise speed with my right thumb and then just let the car take over for the last few mph. There are sometimes when I'll set the system to accelerate me up to cruise speed while I am on the entrance ramp. But the interstate has to be really empty to do it. I do use ACC on suburban or country roads, but they need to be really empty.

I do get your comment about the system being slow to process the reality that the road is empty, typically after you've changed lanes to pass traffic. That's one of the moments when you can definitely override the system. Alternatively, change lanes long before you get stuck behind that slower traffic, speed up a few mph for a bit and leave them behind.

These systems on all brands aren't perfect, in any brand of cart. They are assistive systems. You have to learn when to override them to suit traffic and your driving preferences.

Reactions: zskwrel

·
Registered
207 Posts
we have a 2016 touring we bought new and have put about 47,000 miles on it. The adaptive cruise is the worst of any vehicle that I have driven with adaptive cruise, nothing like being on the interstate cruising at 80mph with another vehicle on your tail in the passing lane and having it slam on the brakes because you are passing a semi and then taking for ever to regain speed. I turn it off most of the time but I swear it is possessed and turns itself back on. I leave my key fob in it parked with the windows open at the local walmart parking lot hoping some sucker will steal it. It was gone once but they returned it within about 10 minutes with a sympathy note and a $50 bill on the dashboard.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have the Econ button on? If so, try turning it off to see if it makes a difference. Also, dial back the radar to your liking. For me, it seems too far ahead at the longest setting and will slow the car down from a pretty far distance.
I have tried it both ways. Econ might make things slightly worse, but overall the sluggishness to set cruise speed is nearly the same.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ACC, cruise is a computer, it may need calibration, if you set to 50MPH you are saying you are doing 46mpg when completed, or back to 50mph when its completed.
Let's say I accelerate to 50 MPH and turn on cruise control. The CR-V will drop down to around 46 MPH before accelerating back to the originally set 50 MPH cruise speed.

·
Premium Member
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,206 Posts
I don't know if this is a thing is your newer CR-V, but in my old one, the cruise control just takes several seconds to engage. I'm generally in the habit of waiting to remove my foot from the accelerator until I know the cruise control has it. I'll also let the car slow down one or two miles per hour sometimes so that I know the cruise control has the throttle when it starts to accelerate back to my set speed. Maybe that method would work for you too. My car's behavior was similar to what you were describing when I was just taking my foot off the gas as soon as I hit the set button.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you tried switching from ACC back to standard Cruise Control? (Press and hold the "interval" button).
Wondering if the apparent speed error would persist even in standard mode.
I have found ACC to be unpredictable enough that I don't use it unless I am virtually alone on the road, in which case a standard CC is perfectly fine.
I don't think I should have to pay more attention to the CC system than to the road.
I will have to give that a try. As far back as I can remember, I don't recall if this problem existed with ACC disabled. I will say that the slowing down after setting cruise happens whether or not I'm the only driver on the road.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know if you have just bought your Touring or like me have had it since new. There is a real learning curve.

I'm wondering how far ahead of your car you are asking it to look. I typically run at two bars. As for setting the cruise speed, how I do it really depends on whether I know the road layout, volume of traffic etc. Usually, once I've completed the turn and have a straight shot onto the interstate I'll be accelerating manually, while setting the ACC to desired cruise speed with my right thumb and then just let the car take over for the last few mph. There are sometimes when I'll set the system to accelerate me up to cruise speed while I am on the entrance ramp. But the interstate has to be really empty to do it. I do use ACC on suburban or country roads, but they need to be really empty.

I do get your comment about the system being slow to process the reality that the road is empty, typically after you've changed lanes to pass traffic. That's one of the moments when you can definitely override the system. Alternatively, change lanes long before you get stuck behind that slower traffic, speed up a few mph for a bit and leave them behind.

These systems on all brands aren't perfect, in any brand of cart. They are assistive systems. You have to learn when to override them to suit traffic and your driving preferences.
I've been driving my CR-V since January of 2020. For the most part, I feel that I understand the quirks and features of the driver assist controls. I actually change the ACC distance bars quite often depending on the traffic I'm in. Usually 1 bar in slower traffic, and 3-4 bars on the Interstate. ACC on the CR-V definitely requires the driver to override it from time to time. While I usually don't mind it, certain issues such as this speed loss problem I have is certainly annoying. Thanks for providing some insight on this!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
we have a 2016 touring we bought new and have put about 47,000 miles on it. The adaptive cruise is the worst of any vehicle that I have driven with adaptive cruise, nothing like being on the interstate cruising at 80mph with another vehicle on your tail in the passing lane and having it slam on the brakes because you are passing a semi and then taking for ever to regain speed. I turn it off most of the time but I swear it is possessed and turns itself back on. I leave my key fob in it parked with the windows open at the local walmart parking lot hoping some sucker will steal it. It was gone once but they returned it within about 10 minutes with a sympathy note and a $50 bill on the dashboard.
I will say the adaptive cruise control has made me swear at my car a few times while driving for sure!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know if this is a thing is your newer CR-V, but in my old one, the cruise control just takes several seconds to engage. I'm generally in the habit of waiting to remove my foot from the accelerator until I know the cruise control has it. I'll also let the car slow down one or two miles per hour sometimes so that I know the cruise control has the throttle when it starts to accelerate back to my set speed. Maybe that method would work for you too. My car's behavior was similar to what you were describing when I was just taking my foot off the gas as soon as I hit the set button.
Unfortunately, the problem with these newer models is that keeping your foot on the gas pedal disengages cruise control until you take your foot off the pedal completely. Cruise control does absolutely nothing if the car senses your foot on the accelerator pedal. So, holding the accelerator pedal steady until your cruise takes over won't even work since having your foot on the pedal overrides the cruise to whatever your foot says the speed should be (faster or slower). No other car I have owned or driven does this except for this 2016 CR-V. I have no idea why Honda thought that would be a good idea. :cautious:

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,043 Posts
I can't agree with the unpredictable comment. If you use it enough, you get to know its way of operating and can override it when necessary or shut it off.

·
Super Moderator
3,741 Posts
I can't agree with the unpredictable comment. If you use it enough, you get to know its way of operating and can override it when necessary or shut it off.
That's probably my issue. I just don't do that much highway driving, and when I do I'm usually almost alone on the road, so I don't get a chance to learn how it behaves, and it surprises me when another car does show up.
Maybe I should make a run down to Denver, certainly plenty of traffic there. :)

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,043 Posts
Makes sense @beww . There were times in deep covid that driving simply didn't happen.....and we all had to relearn our cars. That said I have another 2000 mile trip coming up. But it will be in the wife's car not the CRV. Its hard to get into focused driving sometimes when you don't drive every day like I used to.

·
Super Moderator
3,741 Posts
Makes sense @beww . There were times in deep covid that driving simply didn't happen.....and we all had to relearn our cars. That said I have another 2000 mile trip coming up. But it will be in the wife's car not the CRV. Its hard to get into focused driving sometimes when you don't drive every day like I used to.
One thing I have learned is don't get too used to the Brake Hold feature. I drove my 2007 Accord the other day, which doesn't have the feature, and I caught myself creeping up on the car in front of me at lights.

Reactions: JB in AZ
1 - 17 of 17 Posts