Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well the battery croaked on our CRV. Is a Diehard Platinum a good replacement battery for the CRV? Or is that might be a bit of overkill? I'm used to buying batteries for trucks. We live in the south, and considering the size of the squirrel cage the CRV has, doesn't need too many cranking amps..

· Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
14,958 Posts
There are only a few battery MANUFACTURERS in the US market. Most of the various brands are just marketing.

The most important thing is to look for the highest CCA (Cold Cranking Amps), and a FRESH battery (look for a date marking). Then go for the lowest price.

Some discussion at the bottom of the page under RECOMMENDED READING.

If you want to spend more, look for topics here or on the Gen5 area on fitting the larger Odyssey van's battery and tray.

Another thing worth noting is that newer Gen5s were fitted with a better battery.

+++++++++++++

You want overkill? This $500 Lithium Ion unit will lighten your wallet! :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads-up. I was wanting to put the best battery I could in the CRV. As I alluded to in my post, One of the reasons I chose the Diehard Platinum was because of the CCA. Don't want my wife having trouble. Battery looks new. Just stopped working, but jumped ok. thx...

· Premium Member
2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid SX Prestige
1,941 Posts
Well the battery croaked on our CRV. Is a Diehard Platinum a good replacement battery for the CRV? Or is that might be a bit of overkill? I'm used to buying batteries for trucks. We live in the south, and considering the size of the squirrel cage the CRV has, doesn't need too many cranking amps..
I swapped mine with a Costco Interstate battery and had no issues, was like $70 out the door

· Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
10,698 Posts
So a 2018 US model will have a 51R OEM battery (410 CCA). There are many 51Rs now that are spec for 500CCA, and these will be the higher end 51Rs, so be sure you get a 51R rated at 500CCA, 45 amphour charge capacity, and with a 3 year free replacement warranty. These characteristics (500CCA, 45 amphour, and 3 year free replacement) will automatically get you into the high end 51Rs.

By the way, CCA is the most convenient method to compare batteries, as it also correlates well with charge capacity. But it is actually charge capacity you are more interested in than CCA. Your CRV will start cleanly even on an older battery degraded to 200CCA. It is the amp hours of charge capacity that matters most, due to the persistent normal 50ma parasitic drain in generation5 CRVs.

Some owners take the new battery opportunity to upsize the battery to an H5/Group47, which is the stock battery in 2020 and later model CRVs. But since you got what appears to be 4 years from your OEM battery, your driving habits are not putting undue burden on the battery over time. If you did want to upsize, all you need is a new bottom plastic tray for the larger battery. A Group 47 battery will have about 30% more charge capacity than a 500CCA 51R.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Williamsji, thank you for the great information! Especially concerning the 45 amps per hour charge capacity. I went ahead and purchased a 51R Duracell battery from Sams. They have always treated me right, and I have this loyalty to good service curse thing going on. I couldn't find anything on it's charge capacity though. I couldn't find that on any battery for that matter. Where can we find that info? Thanks!

Duracell Automotive Battery, Group Size 51R Details
  • Battery electrolyte composition: Acid
  • Battery end type: Top post
  • Battery purpose: Starting lighting instrumentation
  • BCI group size: 51R
  • CA at 32 degrees F: 615
  • CCA at 0 degrees F: 500
  • Freight class: 65
  • Polarity: Right positive
  • Reserve capacity: 75
  • Volts: 12

1 - 7 of 7 Posts