Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my 2001 CRV down the road when the engine shut down. After coasting to the side of the road, i placed it in park and cranked the engine but it would not start. I tried it a few times but it would not start. Then i would turn the key to the ON position a sound would come the glove box, and in the start position it would not crank. So i had it towed home after some research it thought it was the main relay. So the new relay makes the same sound, and it will not crank. .... But if unplug the main relay it will crank, but of course not start. TOTALY CONFUSED !!!!!!! if any ony has a clue i would try it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the right state the engine turns over, with the relay out. Oil not the problem. i need a trouble shooter, but thanks.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
We need some history in order to help you. How many miles? Maintenance record if it came with it or what have you done?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Did you replace the summer air in the tires???? Ha-ha, sorry I got nothing!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Logically the problem is in some system that is energized by the main relay and by passed when the main relay is removed.
What that system may be I don't have a clue.
Did you check for spark when it would crank?

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Have someone crank the engine over while you are looking into the Oil Filler hole to see if the rocker arms are moving.
If not, the timing belt is broken or similar. If the rocket arms are moving, then shut off the engine and remove a spark plug or two and see if they are dry or wet. If wet, it points to a spark problem (rotor, ignition coil, igniter, fuse, etc) and if it is dry, it points to a fuel problem (main relay, bad fuel pump, plugged up fuel filter, fuse, etc.)
Those are two fairly simple and free checks to do to get you pointed in the right direction.
I don't know the reason why removing the main relay would allow the engine to crank, but hopefully someone here does.
Any engine trouble codes?

Buffalo4

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
20CRVEX13 i like the way you think, it must effect the relay, and the start circuit. And so people don't run down the wrong. .. new belt, water in the rad , oil in the engine. air in the tires. battery charged etc it is a electrical relay or safety switch. if i could find a good diagram on line that would help. the Haynes book not so good.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Sometimes the buzzing in the main relay is caused by a missing or corroded ground wire connection. Make sure your battery (-) ground to frame is good and also your frame to engine ground is good.
Put "main relay buzzing in a 2001 honda crv" ,without the quotes, into a search engine on the Internet for more possible help.
Is everything else electrical working?
Check connector going to engine thermostat area. (Engine temp sender)
Buffalo4

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It ran

A kid iknow took a look at it, he got it to run by cleaning the fuses, but he thinking it has a fuel pussure problem. that causes the relay to buzz. i will let you know the out come. thank for thr in put.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well the kid fixed the car, back in december i had a new head put on .That was a burnt valve problem, and i guess they did not get the thermostate ground tight. Yep a loose ground wire. Runs great now

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Thanks for reporting back with the solution. It helps make this forum a better source of answers for others in the future.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts