Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried a little experiment to see what would be the most economy I could achieve from my 2006 Honda CRV Diesel.

I achieved an amazing 50 mpg over 484 miles. Please see photo of my dashboard at a trip mileage of 484 miles .

I achieved this by doing the following:-
• Keeping my foot off the accelerator to keep the RPM down to between 1000 rpm and 2000 rpm moving into 6th gear at the earliest opportunity.
• Keep the fuel consumption ‘bar’ on the dashboard as much to the right consistent with load required on hills etc.
• Using ‘cruise control’ when on motorways and not exceeding 60mph on those roads. This keeps the wind resistance down as wind resistance increases markedly with a disproportionate reduction in economy at 70mph.
• Over the 4 years of owning my CRV I have always returned economy in the low 40 mpg but this experiment really surprised me that with careful acceleration and braking you can achieve quite remarkable consumption for this heavy 4wd vehicle.
• These trips were by no means on level roads. I live in West Somerset, not known for level terrain!!
• Over a week of holiday day trips I visited such places as Appledore Bideford, Sidmouth, Bridgwater, Fingle Bridge and Castle Drogo near Dartmoor , Woody Bay and Lynton on Exmoor , Crediton Via Tiverton, North Hill, Minehead.

I would be interested to hear of any other members who hav achieved this quite remarkable fuel economy.

Attachments

·
Banned
806 Posts
I think the key is no heavy acceleration and last minute braking. I have three different vehicles and every one of them I can get better fuel mileage than when my wife drives them. I watch a lot of people where I live and more often than not they are quick off the line only to hurry up and wait at the next light. I by no means am slow about my acceleration, but I don't hammer down on the accelerator.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,573 Posts
Anticipation, reading road and traffic around you help enormously.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did the same experiment with a large 4x4 Touareg, not known for their frugalness. I was averaging 34-38 mpg but on a motorway trip I was curious to see what I could achieve so I set the cruise at 60 mph and stayed in the left hand lane, when possible I sat behind large HGV's and adjusted my speed down to theirs, got my mpg to 50 without that much effort. That's nearly a 45% improvement and I was only 4 minutes later getting to my destination. Big saving on a long journey, just set off 30 minutes earlier!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts