Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a nice round trip at the weekend: 46 UK mpg over 68 miles (38.5 US mpg).

Admittedly it's hard to maintain the mpg that good with cold starts and traffic!
I would like to see 50 mpg on a run at some point though...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 2.2 CDti Luxury CRV, and my new best consumption is 4.8l/100km which is 59 mpg (UK) or 49 mpg (US).

This on a 44km straight trip. On the return I got 5.2, so overall round trip of nearly 90km was 5.0 l/100km or 56.5 and 47 mpg (UK/US).

Can anyone beat that?!!!

(I have a very beefy towbar fitted that adds about 40kg of weight).

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow, that's good.

I need to do a special run to try and beat that!

The figures can be skewed if it isn't a round trip, or the height above sea level is the same start and finish.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Best I've had, even on a long-ish journey, is 41 (UK). I tend to use the cruise control though, which does tend to lose a bit mpg-wise IMHO. Mind you, I also drive my cars quite hard, which won't help!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My best so far is 47 uk mpg over nearly a whole tank.
You have to keep under 60 mph, preferably under 50. Slowing slightly up hills and speeding up down hill seems to beat cruise control.
Never exceed 2,000 rpm, and always change into the highest gear at any time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Im currently getting 39 mpg average without making any particular effort to drive economically. Mostly A roads/urban.
The average has gone up from 37 since ive filled up with BP diesel...using Shell previously

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found that Esso petrol is a lot better than Tescos.
In my diesel Accord I used BP Ultimate a few times, it seemed to increase the mpg.

·
Registered
16 Posts
MPG from 2.2i CTDI Ex

Hughesy,

I'm not sure how many miles you have completed overall in your CR-V, but I am finding that my diesel 2.2 (06 model), is improving greatly with increased mileage - my CR-V has now done 2500 miles in total, and can get 50mpg on a decent run (Scarborough to Penrith), never pushing the engine, but keeping it under 2k revs as you say, but always looking to drop down if required from the highest gear possible.

Incidentally, even driving around the Yorkshire Dales, with third gear heavily used, and all the hill driving, loaded with three people, we still managed 44 mpg average on an 80 mile trip.

It would be interesting to find what is achievable from the 2.2 units, once fully bedded in/run in. I hope you will keep us informed.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good figures dazzman!

I have about 9,000 miles on the clock so far. It does seem to improve with age. I have also heard that the first service improves mpg, the factory oil being designed to assist break-in rather than being super slippery synthetic.

I am also hoping that mpg will improve when the car doesn't pull to the left (going into the garage tomorrow).

We will be taking the CR-V to the Lake District in September. It should be ideal for the Wrynose and Hardknott passes!
My family might go nuts if I cruise at 65 on the M6 all the way there though...

·
Registered
70 Posts
My CRV has now done 30 000km or 19 000 miles, but I still haven't bettered 59mpg!

I think it does loosen a little with time.

Here are a few more tips to get this kind of mpg;

Tyre pressure - go a touch above the recommended psi, it doesn't hurt handling or ride.

Take out the spare wheel - I just carry a can of tyre sealant. More boot space too.

Use 0w-30 or at worst 5w-30 oil - helps reduce frictional losses in engine.

BUT most of all, ANTICIPATE!!!! This is the single best thing to improve consumption. If you have to brake, you are failing!! In most situations, braking is unnecessary - look ahead - red light or roundabout? Come off the throttle early and coast (clutch in).

Take bends and roundabouts at high speeds - no need to brake (as long as reasonably safe to do so).

Use air-conditioning only when descending steep hills - it uses no fuel then, and saves your brakes.

I think there is no point paying more for 'premium' diesel. Just use one with a detergent additive, that's all you need. The major's claims for extra mpg are suspiciously lacking in hard evidence. And even if you do get a few % more, you are still out of pocket given the price difference. All road diesel must meet 51 cetane number minimum, plus many other specs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
"Take bends and roundabouts at high speeds - no need to brake (as long as reasonably safe to do so)".

- I hope my kids are never crossing the road whilst your driving...

"Use air-conditioning only when descending steep hills - it uses no fuel then, and saves your brakes".

- how does it save your brakes? You use air con to slow down???

·
Registered
70 Posts
"Take bends and roundabouts at high speeds - no need to brake (as long as reasonably safe to do so)".

- I hope my kids are never crossing the road whilst your driving...

"Use air-conditioning only when descending steep hills - it uses no fuel then, and saves your brakes".

- how does it save your brakes? You use air con to slow down???
I would never put fuel economy over safety. Most cars can take bends significantly faster than most people think in full safety. Of course, if the bend is blind, in a built up area, etc. then you have to take it much slower. Often I drive behind people that brake hard for bends when there is absolutely no need to do so.

As for aircon, yes, it slows you down. It puts extra drag on the engine, by demanding power from it. You can even feel it - try going gown a shallow hill at say 30mph in 5th, then hit the demist button - the car will noticeably slow. So not only do you get 'free' aircon, you also save your brakes a bit too.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree with bernie.
Of course safety is paramount. But with good observation and timing it is often possible to maintain speed or avoid stopping, which greatly improves mpg.

On hot days I flick the aircon on when going down hill and back off when cruising flat or up hill. As bernie said, it improves mpg and can reduce use of the brakes.

My CR-V seems to be improving as it gets more miles under its belt. Since originally posting about 46 mpg, I can now maintain 50 UK mpg with the right trips. My goal is now to achieve 50 mpg over a whole tank!

·
Registered
2 Posts
btw. if you coast you are using idle fuelling, if you free wheel in a high gear that doesn't slow the car so much but remove your foot from the accelerator, you use no fuel.

·
Registered
70 Posts
btw. if you coast you are using idle fuelling, if you free wheel in a high gear that doesn't slow the car so much but remove your foot from the accelerator, you use no fuel.
This is true, but bear in mind that when you are in gear and coasting, even in the highest gear, the engine is resisting your coast, because some of your energy is being used to turn the engine over.

If you are coasting in neutral (or with the clutch down), there is no engine resistance whatsoever to slow your coast. Modern diesels are very efficient, especially at idle, and the fuel consumed by idling is very low.

For example, on a big U shaped hill near me, I can almost get up the other side if I idle coast, but if I stay in gear, I hardly make it half way. I would say that in this example, the 'idle' style uses less fuel than the 'ingear' style.

My choice of which method depends on several factors; speed (higher speed = higher revs = more engine loss), steepness of slope, traffic conditions, etc.

·
Registered
713 Posts
You can call me jealous...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Best I've had, even on a long-ish journey, is 41 (UK). I tend to use the cruise control though, which does tend to lose a bit mpg-wise IMHO. Mind you, I also drive my cars quite hard, which won't help!
Why is this? I find that cruise control is smoother than my foot and therefore produces better MPG.

Speaking of Aircon and economy, how does climate control work? If you choose a moderately cool temp does the system simply use less aircon or does it mix cold and heated air (which would be wasteful)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Why is this? I find that cruise control is smoother than my foot and therefore produces better MPG.
I believe that going uphill, people tend to accelerate less than the cruise control even if they loose a few mph.

Speaking of Aircon and economy, how does climate control work? If you choose a moderately cool temp does the system simply use less aircon or does it mix cold and heated air (which would be wasteful)
The automatic aircon will enable/disable the A/C compressor whenever it's needed. You can even notice it when it does engage (sound of the engine is a bit different at idle or you loose a bit of power if you were accelerating hard).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts