Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I favor the Touring aesthetically because the chrome strip downplays the over sized cladding, which for me, detracts from the clean lines of the new redesigned body. I can live without the additional gadgetry of the Touring, so would I really pay $2k for a chrome strip? At this point, I don't know. The added insulation for the Touring has been debunked--that would have helped. Which leads me to the question what is the 20 lb difference in curb weight between EX-L and Touring. I'm assuming it's the nav unit, the subwoofer, roof rails, and the chrome exhausts--does that make sense?

·
Registered
29 Posts
That sounds like 20 pounds easily.

BTW, I don't believe the sound insulation theory has been 'debunked'. During those press junkets reporters often have access to interview Honda engineers and design staff, and during that time a competent journalist could easily glean nuggets of information that's not published on Honda's website (like the Touring model having some extra sound insulation as an example).

·
Registered
679 Posts
The Navi is just software and carries no weight. Led headlights must contribute eiher + or -, roof rails +, subwoofer +, exhaust chrome tips +, bumper exhaust tip cutouts -. And so on.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I believe the sound insulation theory has in fact been debunked. Those same "reporters" and "reviewers" had all kinds of errors in their descriptions of the trim levels. The part numbers for Touring and EX-L have already been confirmed to be the exact same part number (for roof liners, etc). My dealership, who has been pretty on the ball compared to some other stories I've read here have confirmed no difference between EX-L and Touring sound insulation. To be blunt, the ONLY place that has written that there is any difference is those online reviews, which also have confirmed, absolute, errors in their description of other trim level feature differences.

I would indeed expect that the 20 pound difference is the combination of little stuff. Roof rails, sub-woofer, exhaust tips, hands free lift gate sensor wiring, rain sensing wiper sensor. Seems like the combination of roof rails, sub, and exhaust tips might just weigh in close to that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I believe the sound insulation theory has in fact been debunked. Those same "reporters" and "reviewers" had all kinds of errors in their descriptions of the trim levels. The part numbers for Touring and EX-L have already been confirmed to be the exact same part number (for roof liners, etc). My dealership, who has been pretty on the ball compared to some other stories I've read here have confirmed no difference between EX-L and Touring sound insulation. To be blunt, the ONLY place that has written that there is any difference is those online reviews, which also have confirmed, absolute, errors in their description of other trim level feature differences.

I would indeed expect that the 20 pound difference is the combination of little stuff. Roof rails, sub-woofer, exhaust tips, hands free lift gate sensor wiring, rain sensing wiper sensor. Seems like the combination of roof rails, sub, and exhaust tips might just weigh in close to that.

Here is a link to the review in question...
https://youtu.be/CwN2Tl1A5Z4

This Consumer Reports description of the trim levels seems spot on and is not riddled with errors, nor have I seen any errors in the Consumer Reports written reviews of the CR-V. I don't think it's fair to lump this reviewer in with other less reputable reviewers.

Also would this sound insulation need to have a part number, or would it be materials inserted between the parts? The roof is lower in the Touring versus the other models.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
That sounds like 20 pounds easily.

BTW, I don't believe the sound insulation theory has been 'debunked'. During those press junkets reporters often have access to interview Honda engineers and design staff, and during that time a competent journalist could easily glean nuggets of information that's not published on Honda's website (like the Touring model having some extra sound insulation as an example).
The press junket only had Tourings available for driving. Given that precisely zero of the reviews described anything from the other trims that could not be gleaned from the press kit, I don't think they even had any other trims available to sit in. (You'd think at least one review would have mentioned the very large differences in the interior in the LX, for instance.) Only making top-level trims available to the press at model rollout is a common manufacturer trick to reduce mentions of features missing or not as good in the lower trims. (No notes about the base engine or radio in the LX, for instance, other than, "it's the old engine" and "the LX doesn't have a touchscreen.")

Honda's full press kit also doesn't say anything about additional noise insulation in the Touring, and that'd definitely be something that would ordinarily make the list of mentions...

I could buy the EX/EX-L/Touring being quieter than the LX, but that's because the LX has entirely different seats, a different roof (no sunroof), different door panels, a different radio (which might make the noise cancellation different), and of course a different engine.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Here is a link to the review in question...
https://youtu.be/CwN2Tl1A5Z4

This Consumer Reports description of the trim levels seems spot on and is not riddled with errors, nor have I seen any errors in the Consumer Reports written reviews of the CR-V. I don't think it's fair to lump this reviewer in with other less reputable reviewers.

Also would this sound insulation need to have a part number, or would it be materials inserted between the parts? The roof is lower in the Touring versus the other models.
Two answers.

First of all, not even the consumer reports review is flawless. Yes, it's a "nit", but they're quote for hp in the previous 2.4l engine is incorrect. Yes, it's only off by 1hp, but it's wrong. And you're taking words out of context in your description of "less reputable" reviewers. Most of the reviews were created before the CR-V actually hit the market, the reviewers had limited resources to call upon, and we don't know what Honda actually told them. For example, maybe Honda told them that EX-L non-Navi trim got HD radio?

Second, yes - it would need to have a part number. Everyone keeps talking about the "lower roof" in the touring. Yet, the roof liner is the same part number as the EX-L roof liner.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Still, no one has an explanation for the lower roof line in the Touring.
I expect that the pano sunroof was originally slated for the US touring, but was pulled, and somebody forgot to update the spec sheet for the new headroom numbers. That would easily explain the discrepancy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts