Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Does anyone know if any of the Gen 2s didn't have a differential damper?

I have had this car about 8 years (with zero drive/transmission/diff problems) and I'm in the process of changing out most of the rubber bushes over time. I noticed on a parts diagram that there should be a tube like damper on the rear diff support.

The photo shows the oval location hole for the pin on the damper, but no damper at all, just a nut!

I wonder if it had failed and the previous owner just took it off rather then replace it.We bought it with 175,000kms on the clock. You do wonder what some of these things do especially since this car drives as smooth as silk...

Thanks in advance if anyone thinks it should definitely be there (I'll get one ordered).
Cheers

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,303 Posts
They DID all come with the damper.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They DID all come with the damper.
Hmm, I thought so. Now I need to decide whether it's worth risking damaging the rear mounting to get that bolt out to fit a new one.

Especially since it's been missing at least 8 years (with no perceivable ill effect) and especially since they dropped it on the 2007/Gen3 although the mounting looks like an extremely similar, if not identical design...

·
Registered
2004 2.0 petrol AWD
49 Posts
I would leave it alone, on most gen 2 cars the rubber mounting has rotted away and the metal weight is just bouncing around anyway.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would leave it alone, on most gen 2 cars the rubber mounting has rotted away and the metal weight is just bouncing around anyway.
Yeah, I'm thinking that. I mean the motor had 175,000kms or so on the clock when we bought it 8 years ago (and 280,000kms now), so it's been missing at least that long. And it has no drive issues, smooth as.

Whereas, I've had problems getting most of the bolts out of bushes due to them rusting inside the metal sleeves. AND, the rear diff mount is a particularly flimsy bush and won't stand up to a lot of rotational torque by the looks of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts