Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Dimming headlights at certain RPM fix

2216 14
alternator went on my 2005 cr-v so I had it rebuilt for 75 bucks.....

it seemed to work fine until I drove at night and noticed the dash lights and headlights would dim at a certain RPM and brighten when I hit the brakes

real pain in the butt....people flickering me all the time cuz my headlamps were flickering at them constantly

lived with this for over 3 years and avoided night driving as much as possible

so the wife bought me a scan tool for Christmas and when an engine light came on the other day I decided to give it a try

ran a scan twice, didn't know what it was saying so I removed it and gave it to a friend

had to go out at night and the problems were fixed

I think the scan tool recalibrated the computer?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
5,244 Posts
alternator went on my 2005 cr-v so I had it rebuilt for 75 bucks.....

it seemed to work fine until I drove at night and noticed the dash lights and headlights would dim at a certain RPM and brighten when I hit the brakes

real pain in the butt....people flickering me all the time cuz my headlamps were flickering at them constantly

lived with this for over 3 years and avoided night driving as much as possible

so the wife bought me a scan tool for Christmas and when an engine light came on the other day I decided to give it a try

ran a scan twice, didn't know what it was saying so I removed it and gave it to a friend

had to go out at night and the problems were fixed

I think the scan tool recalibrated the computer?
Unlikely. A consumer level scan tool will generally just read codes or reset them, no more.
I suspect you are a victim of coincidence.

Reactions: joec

·
Premium Member
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
5,244 Posts
so are you saying the circumstances could pop back up?
Could happen. I was just saying it was extremely unlikely the scanner fixed anything.
A scan tool that can actually reprogram things costs a lot more than any non-professional is likely to spend.

Reactions: joec

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
2,223 Posts
Yeah, unlikely the code reader did anything but give it a good ground for a moment.
Seen how a engine would not start.
So plugged in the code reader and then tried to start engine and it started
This is because the code reader gave the ECU a ground.
Pulled out the code reader and it does not start.
So a little weird your vehicle is running well again??

If it happens again then maybe try cleaning up contacts and grounds??

·
Registered
03 CRV
930 Posts
I wouldn't even know where to begin to find grounds.....but I appreciate the comments you both have given me
at the top of the gen2 forum is a sticky with a link to the service manual, head there and click “body electrical”. Next click “wire harness and ground locations”. You’ll find all the ground wires and locations starting on page 22A-14 and on.

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
2,223 Posts
I wouldn't even know where to begin to find grounds.....but I appreciate the comments you both have given me
Follow negative cable on battery to chassis. Clean contact points.
Locate engine ground strap and clean those contact points.
If new replacement alternator then clean cable terminals(+).
Check connectors and wiring in and around alternator.

Can also try wriggle wiring harness of wires going to headlights??

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD sold
4,164 Posts
Reman alternators time is passed with new units drop in price. Additionally, reman quality just doesn't seem to be there anymore

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so its finally fixed.....it was the battery terminals......both were dirty and loose......i cleaned the posts on the battery and the hole on each terminal then sprayed them with the corrosive no more spray and tightened up each terminal real good......havent had a problem as of yet and i finally can drive at night without people flicking their lights at me....took 6 years to figure it out but its a thing of the past now

now my 2012 chevy avalanche headlights pulsate.....i did the battery routine i did on the honda and that didnt work.....next ill try cleaning the alternator mount bushings as they are the ground for the alternator and mine are all rusty.....

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
14,542 Posts
Check the terminals again in a few months. Do the twist test.

If you can twist the terminals without loosening, you may need terminal shims.

Font Nickel Composite material Metal Auto part

Some new batteries have terminals that are too small for Honda terminal clamps to grip sufficiently.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts