Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Such a newbie question, I'm almost embarrassed to ask it...

But when checking the oil level, how far back I'm should the dipstick go? It's got some notches on it that click it into place, if I check it before the notches start clicking then it says I'm under, if I click it all the way back in it says I'm over. What's the correct way of checking it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Dipstick fully seated, vehicle level, and oil at operating temp is the normal way to get an accurate check.
On a friend's 2000 CRV, the dipstick tube actually loosened up and was not seated properly. That gave him a 'low' reading on his dipstick. Found that out when he had oil spraying all over his engine due to his unintentional overfilling.

BTW, goldielocks has a 1999 CRV.

Buffalo4

·
Everything in Moderation
7,625 Posts
Dipstick fully seated, ... oil at operating temp
Be sure to allow time for the oil to drain back into the pan (15 - 20 minutes after shut-off).

Otherwise you may overfill.

I check engine oil 'cold' and ATF fluid 'hot'.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
If the CRV is parked on level ground, then that is an excellent time to check it before starting it up. You don't even need to wipe the dipstick if it sat overnight. :)
The OM says to check the oil at every gas fill-up and to wait a few minutes after turning off the engine.
Wipe the dipstick with a cloth or paper towel and insert it 'all' the way back into it's tube, etc.

Carbuff2,
Have you noticed much difference on the atf dipstick reading, if you checked it cold before starting the CRV, and also when you did it according to the book? If so, what was the difference and how much?

My vehicle is not parked on the level so my readings are not real accurate then.

Buffalo4

·
Everything in Moderation
7,625 Posts
Carbuff2,
Have you noticed much difference on the atf dipstick reading, if you checked it cold before starting the CRV, and also when you did it according to the book? If so, what was the difference and how much?
Have not owned an Automatic Honda for a few years now...:(

But yeah, DO remember a difference!

Always check fluids by the manufacturers recommended method.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
One must always use restraint and not overuse the dipstick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts