Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a big fan of the new orange tip on the dipstick. It is hard to read. It seems like the oil runs down and accumulates on the ridge on the bottom making it look lower than it really is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I thought my new CR-V was using oil. I checked the oil level after returning from a 2000 mile trip and at first I was very concerned. It seemed like the oil level was down on the lowest point where I thought I needed to add a qt. After further inspection the next day, I decided I was just seeing the accumulation at the bottom of the stick. I think Honda needs to redesign these and provide one that can actually be useful. I bet many users will end up adding oil when they don't need to.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I wonder if filing off the ridge at the bottom of the dipstick would make it easier to read?
I have to think the ridge is there for a reason because it would be cheaper to manufacture without the ridge.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Agreed, it's terrible. What was wrong with crosshatched metal? On the other hand, a utility knife and scribe could fix that particular deficiency, if a little crudely.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just checked my oil at a fill-up first time, and not only the puddle at the bottom but the oil seemed to creep back up the orange plastic as I tilted the dipstick to get it out and then moving it around to try to get light to reflect so I could read it? I never was really sure where the level was. Are ya'll really going to file off the plastic at the end so it doesn't pool oil?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I have owned several cars that have an orange tip for checking oil and never had a problem reading the level...it's a matter of how light hit the dip stick to reflect the marking.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,632 Posts
The Fit guys have the same issues with the orange-tip dipstick. :mad:

Here's a tip: After you pull the dipstick, lay it on a napkin or paper towel The oil level will become apparent from the stain on the towel.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,632 Posts
Ever think OW-20 is the culprit????
I think it's the fact that 0W-20 is synthetic (or semi-syn). I've found synthetics to be a clearer oil than the old mineral oils.

Of course, that's generalizing. Different brands have different 'shades'. And boutique oils are often tinted: Royal Purple is purple as you would expect, Valvoline Racing is blue...

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
As we have ways to read the stick, and tricks, you just really need a keen eye? a paper towel like said will be your best option to inspect, what I been doing for the past 40 years or so. that I agree with Carbuff.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The laying the dipstick on a clean paper towel method doesn’t seem to work very well either. The ridges get in the way. So you have to squeeze the towel against the dipstick which has to cause some displacement. My oil is getting dirty enough that I can see it in spite of the orange and pooling caused by the ridges.
It could be worse. My 1998 Forester was the worst that I have owned. Apparently the dipstick had to make so many twists and turns that it took a minimum of 5 attempts to get the same reading twice. What a terrible car, the only car I ever got rid of as soon as the warranty was over.

Has anybody tried filing down the ridges?
If I was the least bit mechanically inclined I would try filing down the bottom ridge on one side. And if that didn’t help I would do the side ridges on the same side. At least with one ridge-less side the paper towel method would work on that side.
My concern is that the ridges are there to add strength. At least it is mostly metal, I’m pretty sure that I have seen a completely plastic dipstick at one time or another.

·
Registered
548 Posts
My kid says we are checking oil the same way oldtimers did 100 years ago. What about an oil height level checker when the motor is not running? - I wonder if that might be possible to invent?

·
Registered
541 Posts
My kid says we are checking oil the same way oldtimers did 100 years ago. What about an oil height level checker when the motor is not running? - I wonder if that might be possible to invent?
Just buy a BMW or any number of cars which don't have an analog method of checking oil level. Better hope that bit of electronics doesn't fail. Number one reason that I didn't consider a new BMW. That and run flats.

·
Registered
679 Posts
After the oil ages a little bit it's super easy to read. When new, it's hard to read. You need a flashlight to see light reflect off of the fluid on the dipstick to make sense of what's going on.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts