Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
there are many ways we can read it. I think I'll work the tissue or eye paper down the dip till it gets wetted. and that is my mark.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Agreed. Impossible to read the dipstick accurately or even close to accurately. Looks like a case of Honda designed it but no tester ever actually used it. Not good for a 5th generation vehicle. This flaw has potential to damage the engine and, depending upon how sensitive the turbo system is to excess oil, the turbo.

Honda should redesign the orange tipped dipstick and give each CRV owner a free new dipstick THAT WORKS properly. Now that I am throwing stones, how about the small space that one has to reach into to grab the dipstick. The space has hot spots on at least 2 sides. If you have big hands, forget it.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Try this worked for me.....take a scotchbrite pad and ruff up the surfaces including the two grooves on the plastic tip. The oil adheres to the surface a little better and easer to read.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Agreed. Impossible to read the dipstick accurately or even close to accurately. Looks like a case of Honda designed it but no tester ever actually used it. Not good for a 5th generation vehicle. This flaw has potential to damage the engine and, depending upon how sensitive the turbo system is to excess oil, the turbo.

Honda should redesign the orange tipped dipstick and give each CRV owner a free new dipstick THAT
WORKS properly. Now that I am throwing stones, how about the small space that one has to reach into to grab the dipstick. The space has hot spots on at least 2 sides. If you have big hands, forget it.
I read that you have to shut off the Engine, wait a few minutes while on a flat surface before you check the dipstick, to get a accurate reading. Shouldn't be too hot at all. Hope I'm correct on this.

Edit: Yup, when it's cold

http://www.consumerreports.org/car-repair-maintenance/how-to-check-car-engine-oil/

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I read that you have to shut off the Engine, wait a few minutes while on a flat surface before you check the dipstick, to get a accurate reading. Shouldn't be too hot at all. Hope I'm correct on this.
That's the side of the engine with the exhaust system, it takes more than a few minutes for it to cool.

·
Registered
163 Posts
In my crv the oil seems to get dirty quick and is easily noticeable on the dipstick. Showed easily after the first 1000 miles and also easily visible 1000 miles after my first oil change. Almost looks black.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am going on a 3500km road trip and speaking of the dipstick, I was checking the level of my oil - I checked it while the CRV was cold so sounds like I need to check it after running it for a minute or so. The picture shows what came up for checking the oil. Is this oil colour too dark? I have 2700km's on the CRV, havent done an oil change yet. I am wondering if I need an oil change. I'll check it when it runs, maybe the level will be a bit higher? The sides of the dipstick (the metal part) shows more clear oil.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I am going on a 3500km road trip and speaking of the dipstick, I was checking the level of my oil - I checked it while the CRV was cold so sounds like I need to check it after running it for a minute or so. The picture shows what came up for checking the oil. Is this oil colour too dark? I have 2700km's on the CRV, havent done an oil change yet. I am wondering if I need an oil change. I'll check it when it runs, maybe the level will be a bit higher? The sides of the dipstick (the metal part) shows more clear oil.
Your oil level is fine, its at the high mark, the design of the orange tip makes it difficult to see the level because the oil collects at the bottom of the groove making it look you are at a low level. You don't check the level with the engine running or just after running. You need to give it a few mins for the oil that has accumulated at the top of the engine to drain down to the oil pan to get an accuate level measurement. You can't judge the condition oil base on how dark it is. The darkness is simple indicating that the oul is doing its job at suspending the carbon particles in the oil and not letting it fall to the bottom of the oil pan to become sludge. 2700km is simply way too early to change your oil. Follow the MM or if you want to change it earlier than around 5000 miles / 8000km or at least once per year.

·
Registered
191 Posts
That's the side of the engine with the exhaust system, it takes more than a few minutes for it to cool.
The link I provided also indicates that you may check your engine oil when cooler/cold, so that illuminates any possibility of Burning your hands.

Of course, I have checked my engine oil a few times when warm and I've never touched the sides to get burned, and unless you were drunk or very careless you should not have a problem.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts