Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this is a safety feature, but on the 2017 CR-V (possibly earlier models too?), the parking break is always engaged when you start the car. This adds another step to get moving, and it's not typically necessary where we go/park.

I realize that applying the gas will disable it, but, at least in the case of moving in reverse, too much gas is needed, and you end up jerking/reversing too quickly, and this is actually *less* safe (i.e. in case someone/something is behind us).

Is there anyway to permanently disable this, so that you simply have to put it in revers/drive to get moving?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yep, I disabled mine. Page 510 in the owner's manual has detailed instructions on how to disable it. From the manual:

■ Activating and deactivating the automatic parking brake feature
With the ignition switch is in ON (II), carry out the following steps to either activate
or deactivate the automatic parking brake feature.
1. Shift the select lever to (P).
2. Without depressing the brake pedal, pull up and release the parking brake switch.
- Check that the parking brake indicator has come on.
3. Pull up and hold the parking brake switch. When you hear a beeping sound,
release the switch and within 3 seconds pull up and hold the switch again.
4. When you hear a sound indicating that the procedure is completed, release the
switch.
- Two beeps indicates that the feature has been activated.
- One beep indicates that the feature has been deactivated.
- When you have completed activating the feature, the parking brake will
remain applied after you turn off the engine.
- To confirm that the parking brake is applied, check if the parking brake
indicator is on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I checked the manual a few times (trying to find it by "parking break" in the index), and didn't see anything. Not sure I would've ever found it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On second thought, my manual doesn't even have 510 pages. It's only 172 pages (the one that's downloadable here). Do you have a 2017, or did you somehow acquire a different manual?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
For safety's sake, you should ALWAYS set the parking brake. It doesn't happen often, but the parking "pawl" in automatic transmissions is not a failure-free part, and it doesn't take much of a grade to send your car a 'rollin, so unless you live in an area that is 100% completely, totally, flat, you really should use it. (But if you insist on disabling it... page 510 of the manual.)

(I know it's not a problem in our cars, but all those Chrysler cars with the stupidly-designed shifter would not have caused a single accident (and one known fatality) had their owners set the parking brake.)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
On second thought, my manual doesn't even have 510 pages. It's only 172 pages (the one that's downloadable here). Do you have a 2017, or did you somehow acquire a different manual?
You are looking at the "Owner's Guide". The "Owner's Manual" (which is downloadable from the same webpage) has nearly 700 pages, and was on the CD that came with your car. (You can also order a printed copy for free from Honda if you wish.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are looking at the "Owner's Guide". The "Owner's Manual" (which is downloadable from the same webpage) has nearly 700 pages, and was on the CD that came with your car. (You can also order a printed copy for free from Honda if you wish.)
Ah, yes, I totally overlooked that. I saw the two links, but for some reason, saw the different revision dates, and thought the second link was just an older version of the first link.

Good info re: parking break safety. I've never set this in all the years I've owned a car (unless parking on a steep incline), and have never known anybody to set this.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Do a Google search on 2017 CRV Manual. Will take you to a Honda page listing intro manual, owner's manual and navigation manual. You can save them to your computer which makes them much easier to search and read, at least when you are at your computer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts