Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2011 Honda CR-V EX AWD.

The TPMS sensors in every single wheel need to be replaced (got it checked) and I do not wish to pay to replace them. It’s winter time here now and there’s almost always snow on the road. For me, I find to have way more control when traction control is disabled (in the snow). Sometimes taking corners results in the back end sliding out (woohoo!) and the car ends up almost completely stopping in the middle of the road. I hate this.

So, I am trying to figure out how to disable the TPMS completely because it prohibits the ability to turn off traction control.

I will go through some serious DIY work to get this done. If anybody has any insight to this, please let me know. Thank you!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello guys,

i was looking into maybe disable my Tpms system.
I owned a 2012 crv lx that I rebuilt the car a few months ago. Last week i found a set of 2010 Ford mustang wheels that i got for $160 with tires good deal, i have the TPMS light letters turn on, the rims do have tpms sensors but they are ford sensors. Can the ford mustang sensors be program to the car and turn off tpms light? If not can someone let me know of where to get cheap sensors? My concern is that since the rims are from ford mustang will honda sensors fit?

in case someone is wondering how the CRV looks with ford mustang rims here it is.

tires 235/50/18 car is lower on coilover
DDF3FA51-5229-4FCD-8CD4-F66BA30983D8.jpeg
924B9D0C-FD88-4B9E-B156-AFC9E3960ED5.jpeg
9A636371-0125-410E-85FB-5AF4C6B566CE.jpeg

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
A quick Google search suggests that the opening in a passenger car wheel for a valve stem is the same across brands. Large trucks may use larger stems.

My favorite online Honda parts site has the CR-V TPMS sensors for US $26.87 each (list price is $38.38).

Edit: it would really surprise me if Ford TPMS sensors could be made to work with a Honda.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A quick Google search suggests that the opening in a passenger car wheel for a valve stem is the same across brands. Large trucks may use larger stems.

My favorite online Honda parts site has the CR-V TPMS sensors for US $26.87 each (list price is $38.38).

Edit: it would really surprise me if Ford TPMS sensors could be made to work with a Honda.
I was curious because 2010 ford mustang sensor frecuency is 315mhz and 2012 crv are also 315mhz but im not sure if they can communicate to each other.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I did some odd websearchs, and found listings for TPMS sensors that suggest GM products are mostly compatible with similar GM vehicle types (trucks vs. cars), but not with any Ford sensors. Ford only works with Ford, and even within Honda's the 2012 CR-V sensors only work on 2012 and 2013 CR-Vs, and 2010-2015 Crosstours.

The TPMS sensors for 2009-2011 CR-Vs also fit Accord Sedans 2009-2012 and Accord Coupes 2010-2012.

And of course my 2014 CR-V doesn't have TPMS sensors in the wheels, it uses indirect monitoring.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hello, I have a 2011 Honda CR-V EX AWD.

The TPMS sensors in every single wheel need to be replaced (got it checked) and I do not wish to pay to replace them. It’s winter time here now and there’s almost always snow on the road. For me, I find to have way more control when traction control is disabled (in the snow). Sometimes taking corners results in the back end sliding out (woohoo!) and the car ends up almost completely stopping in the middle of the road. I hate this.

So, I am trying to figure out how to disable the TPMS completely because it prohibits the ability to turn off traction control.

I will go through some serious DIY work to get this done. If anybody has any insight to this, please let me know. Thank you! --------------------------------------------- wow I didnt know Honda did that so you cant disable the VSA if the TPMS light is on or flashing (fault) I just read the service manual and see the TPMS is tied into the VSA module,so without flashing the VSA with software if it could be done at dealer ,the only way I can think of disabling the VSA only and not disabling the ABS also would be unplug the brake fluid level sensor on the master , jump the 2 terminals or ground the orange wire so it thinks the fluid is low that disables the VSA ,there might be a fuse for the VSA that wont disable the ABS too,I did a lot of testing on my 2005 and in every situation on slippery roads the VSA helped keep it on the road so I wonder if your tires are bald on the rear or a dragging caliper on the rear will cause a very dangerous over steer condition like your describing,the 2005 was the first year for VSA on the CRV so I would think they improved what I think is awesome in the snow it wont let it get out of control is what I have found .

·
Registered
358 Posts
here's some more info on the VSA/TPMS it is a digital signal from the TPMS to the VSA /ABS module so its not as simple as to cut a wire or ground a wire, I was thinking until reading its on the CAN Bus system the brake fluid sensor should work too but the brake light will be on,probably easier to replace all 4 sensors and program them though so you will still have control of turning on and off the VSA ,make sure you dont have a rear caliper dragging

Attachments

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I was curious because 2010 ford mustang sensor frecuency is 315mhz and 2012 crv are also 315mhz but im not sure if they can communicate to each other.
Has anyone ever tried programming the Ford sensors to your CR-V? The Honda sensors do operate at 315MHz, but I don't believe they transmit the data to the vehicle in the same format that Ford sensors do. Someone who set up their TPMS scan tool could probably set it to read Honda sensors, and see if Ford's sensors would send the right data to the scan tool.

It's also questionable if the Honda sensors would fit the Mustang wheels. It's not just a matter of fitting the same hole, but if it will physically fit inside the wheel without interference, or have enough length to get through the wheel properly. Honda has two sensors for my 2009 CR-V. One is for the steel wheels, and the other for alloy. (I have alloys on both.)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hello guys,

i was looking into maybe disable my Tpms system.
I owned a 2012 crv lx that I rebuilt the car a few months ago. Last week i found a set of 2010 Ford mustang wheels that i got for $160 with tires good deal, i have the TPMS light letters turn on, the rims do have tpms sensors but they are ford sensors. Can the ford mustang sensors be program to the car and turn off tpms light? If not can someone let me know of where to get cheap sensors? My concern is that since the rims are from ford mustang will honda sensors fit?

in case someone is wondering how the CRV looks with ford mustang rims here it is.

tires 235/50/18 car is lower on coilover View attachment 136511 View attachment 136512 View attachment 136513
I am surprised the ford wheels fit ,the lug pattern and the center hole ,as far as the sensors go you could go to a tire store and have the TPMS system re programmed the worst case is it wont work ,I work in a tire shop and replace sensors some times just 1 and you have to re program all 4 if you do just 1 unless you clone a sensor which I have never tried, so I use a hand held scanner tool that they don't charge much $ to do a TPMS reset that you put the year make and model in then start at the LF then RF then RR then LR then plug the unit into the OBDII port and it uploads the data ,it seems that the 315 and 433 is the only difference but could be some kind of encryption difference too ,I know some fords have a big hose clamp holding the sensor on the wheel and not on the valve stem hole but if its 315MHZ it might work if it gets reprogrammed to the CRV

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I highly recommend you just get a set of new stock sensors and put them in. In the end it will be much less complicated. The TPMS, traction, and braking systems on these cars are so interlocked that any attempts at modifying would likely wind up costing you more in the long run, in headaches, problems, and possibly money. They are a pain, but not worth screwing up the whole car's multiple systems, and not that expensive. Any mods are likely to create more issues than they solve. All passenger vehicles use the same size valve stem hole.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I was curious because 2010 ford mustang sensors frecuency is 315mhz and 2012 crv are also 315mhz
Has anyone ever tried programming the Ford sensors to your CR-V? The Honda sensors do operate at 315MHz, but I don't believe they transmit the data to the vehicle in the same format that Ford sensors do. Someone who set up their TPMS scan tool could probably set it to read Honda sensors, and see if Ford's sensors would send the right data to the scan tool.

It's also questionable if the Honda sensors would fit the Mustang wheels. It's not just a matter of fitting the same hole, but if it will physically fit inside the wheel without interference, or have enough length to get through the wheel properly. Honda has two sensors for my 2009 CR-V. One is for the steel wheels, and the other for alloy. (I have alloys on both.)
I will bring it to a tire shop and try to program them worse case they wont work, if they dont work then i will buy 4 new sensors. I order 4 new winter tires and they arrive this coming Friday and i wanted to install the sensors when i install the tires. The tire shop wont charge for the installation if i do it when i replace the tires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am surprised the ford wheels fit ,the lug pattern and the center hole ,as far as the sensors go you could go to a tire store and have the TPMS system re programmed the worst case is it wont work ,I work in a tire shop and replace sensors some times just 1 and you have to re program all 4 if you do just 1 unless you clone a sensor which I have never tried, so I use a hand held scanner tool that they don't charge much $ to do a TPMS reset that you put the year make and model in then start at the LF then RF then RR then LR then plug the unit into the OBDII port and it uploads the data ,it seems that the 315 and 433 is the only difference but could be some kind of encryption difference too ,I know some fords have a big hose clamp holding the sensor on the wheel and not on the valve stem hole but if its 315MHZ it might work if it gets reprogrammed to the CRV
i believe that Ford mustangs have the same bold pattern from year 2007-2018 Im not sure if there’s more years that fit. The spec of the rims i got is 5x114.3 +35mm offset by 8” wide which fit perfectly. I will attempt programming the sensors at a tire shop, im sure they may not work but wont hurt trying. The only other concern is that if i buy new sensors will they fit on the rims? I need to fix tpms because it sucks not been able to turn off vsa and today im getting more snow ❄. Im in methuen Massachusetts by the way.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Have to watch hub diameter though, it's not just about bolt pattern and spacing. Center too small rim wont fit on the hub correctly. Too big and takes extra effort to center correctly unless you buy the adapter spacers

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
i believe that Ford mustangs have the same bold pattern as CRV 5x114.3 but by 8” wide which fit perfectly. I will attempt programming the sensors at a tire shop, im sure they may not work but wont hurt trying. The only other concern is that if i buy new sensors will they fit on the rims? I need to fix tpms because it sucks not been able to turn off vsa and today im getting more snow ❄. Im in methuen Massachusetts by the way.
Have to watch hub diameter though, it's not just about bolt pattern and spacing. Center too small rim wont fit on the hub correctly. Too big and takes extra effort to center correctly unless you buy the adapter spacers

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
good point never thought of that. Funny thing is that the tire shop never told me anything. They told me they fitted. I did a quick research about wheel hub centric for each vehicle and I found out that the 2010 mustang has a 70.6mm hub diameter and the 2012 crv has 64.1mm that means i will have to buy an adaptor to go from 70.6 to 64.1 my question is. Am I suppose to drive like that? Will something go bad? I will order tonight im looking to see if i find it on amazon for faster shipping.

thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts

Wildcat - When you ordered your set of 4 Denso sensors, how did you make sure you got a matched set that does not have any duplicate/overlapped frequencies? I found them on Amazon but they only sell them in singles, no sets. As apparently do the online Honda and other parts sources I've seen so far. Aargh!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wildcat - When you ordered your set of 4 Denso sensors, how did you make sure you got a matched set that does not have any duplicate/overlapped frequencies? I found them on Amazon but they only sell them in singles, no sets. As apparently do the online Honda and other parts sources I've seen so far. Aargh!
i found a seller on ebay that sells the sensors in sets of 4 and he asure me that will work together as a set.

·
Registered
262 Posts
good point never thought of that. Funny thing is that the tire shop never told me anything. They told me they fitted. I did a quick research about wheel hub centric for each vehicle and I found out that the 2010 mustang has a 70.6mm hub diameter and the 2012 crv has 64.1mm that means i will have to buy an adaptor to go from 70.6 to 64.1 my question is. Am I suppose to drive like that? Will something go bad? I will order tonight im looking to see if i find it on amazon for faster shipping.

thanks guys.
Without the proper hub rings all the pressure is on the studs.

years ago i had a friend who realized this late. Went to remove the rim and each stud snapped off the car. Had to be flatbedded and all studs replaced.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do you guys know a website that can ship quick? Only place i found that has the same measurement ships from UK.
Thanks to all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts