Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a set of 7443s to replace the combo brake/taillight bulbs. I bought them from superbrightleds.com and I had no issues with the store (lots of info on their website and quick shipping). These are the bulbs I purchased. I was a little nervous because they didn't specify what type of LED chips are used but they are described as "their brightest 7443 bulb" so all I knew at that point is that they sell dimmer ones. :rolleyes:

In the photos below the driver's side has the LED and the passenger's side still has stock incandescent. The sun is still out but it's mostly cloudy and late in the day. Also the photos were taken with an iPhone so there is some auto exposure control, but I'll say that the photos are representative of what I see so they're "close enough" for my purposes until night. I did want to see them during the day for a more objective judgement of light (not just big red spots in the dark).

What I found out is that these unknown LED chips are not as bright as I had hoped. I've seen 3528 and 5050 LED chips that put these to shame. Even though the LEDs individually are not as bright as an incandescent filament, I had hoped that the sheer quantity would level the playing field. But I was surprised at what I found: With the naked eye the LED bulb itself seemed "close" in light emitted, but what I didn't expect is that the reflectors behind the bulbs are designed specifically for incandescents. What I mean is that when you look at the pictures below taken from straight behind the lights where the beam is the brightest, you'll notice that every little reflective square directly receives light from the filament and reflects it out through the lens. To do this the bulb must throw light in all directions (especially towards its base). The LEDs are shaped like a coffee can and there are no LEDs pointing towards the base so you see a dark-ish area around the bulb where there is no light to reflect out the back.

Even with a known higher quality LED light source (3528, 5050, plasma) it won't solve the problem of no light emitting towards the base to reflect out the back. I'm going to evaluate after dark and sleep on it, but right now I'm going to find out what their return policy is and rethink replacing the other lights as I had planned. The other bulbs I ordered from jlclightings.com are the brighter LEDs but it's the light pattern that has me worried now. It's also too late to cancel the other order.

I'm interested in any thoughts you may have.

Da' bulb:
IMG_1813.jpg

Side view:
IMG_1820.jpg

LED bulb:
IMG_1824.JPG

Stock bulb:
IMG_1826.JPG

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
What you need to look at when buying LED bulbs is the degree of viewable light they produce. While it may be bright, it doesn't have a very wide degree of angle of viewable light. Hence why it doesn't reflect off the reflector inside the housing as well as the incandescent bulb.

Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just realized my 2003 has the lens with the bubbles on the surface and a smooth reflector behind the bulb........I think that design lends itself better to dispersing the light from the LED bulbs than the segmented reflectors on the newer models.....will research more before taking the plunge.

Paul

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, live and learn. I like LEDs and replaced a bunch of lights in my house. Part of me questioned replacing stock lights with LEDs since I couldn't see them anyway. :) I'm still going to do the interior, and since they are already on the way maybe the backup lights. Having anything else dimmer on the exterior is too much of a safety issue. I took a quick look and the only lights that don't have a faceted reflector are the front side marker lights (at least not that would be too adversely affected) and I assume the license plate lights. A few others may not have as much of a dependency on the reflector as the brake/taillight but I think it's a lost cause.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Those new leds from VLEDS is the best one some far. For leds its how much you spend to har them bright. The new VLEDS are 130 dollars which to me is just way to much.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Very weird that the 2013 USA CR-Vs do not come standard with LED tail/brake lights like the UK.

Bemused to say the least.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Darkknight we get text messaging with certain phones only because the technolgy is so new for the phone. But emails I have not heard of this if anyone can chime in?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Darkknight we get text messaging with certain phones only because the technolgy is so new for the phone. But emails I have not heard of this if anyone can chime in?
I saw an image recently via Google - but I cant locate it now - but it did show the I-MID notification showing an email etc. Not sure whether its been removed though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've made the same mistake a while ago. Even worse - SMDs start burning out one by one! Now I have these installed for a year already and pretty much happy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300853691974?item=300853691974&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr.
They are dual filament, bright enough and color is beautiful (do buy red ones, never white). For upper ones I use these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/141029648518?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Also, I've changed the turn signals to these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-5W-T20-7440-7443-992A-5-SMD-LED-Car-Backup-Brake-Light-Bulb-Lamp-Yellow-/370820736095?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5656a3645f&vxp=mtr, just added 2 resistors (http://www.ebay.com/itm/180861843871?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649), which I glued on the body by this glue: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370872305451?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649.
Now I'm working on the front turn lights. You will need the same glue, 2 resistors and these LEDs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251211636804?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649, which are dual filament also. Good luck!

·
Registered
135 Posts
If I can afford it and find the time I'd like to do a taillight retrofit with COB LEDs and I'd make my own clear lenses to get rid of the big red CRV taillight strips running up the back. My fear there would be the opposite of the issue pointed out in this thread. I'd fear they'd be too bright and I'd have to wire in resistors to dim them.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Back to original topic, I bought these 7443 brake LED lights (Red) for my 2013 CR-V, and they are great. They are without a doubt brighter than stock both during day and night. Subjectively 20% brighter I would say. The point is, they are NOT dimmer, which is good news. They do light up immediately as you'd expect.

Other things I noticed: In dim mode they match intensity of the the stock 168? red bulbs that sit above the brake light. The ratio of OFF:ON is 6:1, so when you hit the brakes there is a very clear difference between braking and not braking at night. Some LEDs don't have a good ratio and you can hardly tell at night that someone stepped on brakes...

Highly recommend, for $50 it's a winner.

EDIT: Our CR-Vs seems to use the NON-CK version, which is what I got, and works fine. Again, NOT the CK version.

http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/7443-7443ck-7440-led/7443-21-red.html

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Back to original topic, I bought these 7443 brake LED lights (Red) for my 2013 CR-V, and they are great. They are without a doubt brighter than stock both during day and night. Subjectively 20% brighter I would say. The point is, they are NOT dimmer, which is good news. They do light up immediately as you'd expect.

Other things I noticed: In dim mode they match intensity of the the stock 168? red bulbs that sit above the brake light. The ratio of OFF:ON is 6:1, so when you hit the brakes there is a very clear difference between braking and not braking at night. Some LEDs don't have a good ratio and you can hardly tell at night that someone stepped on brakes...

Highly recommend, for $50 it's a winner.

EDIT: Our CR-Vs seems to use the NON-CK version, which is what I got, and works fine. Again, NOT the CK version.

http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/7443-7443ck-7440-led/7443-21-red.html
Have you posted any pictures of yours with the installed LED's?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have not, you're just going to have to trust my judgement :) There are multiple YT videos on this bulb... I actually forgot to take a pic or vid BEFORE changing the incandescent out.... It's the only good comparison. One side LED, the other Incandescent. Too late now, as it is a bit of a PITA to swap the bulb.

Have you posted any pictures of yours with the installed LED's?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
They have a very wide viewing angle of 320 degree's. If you go back to page 1, I described how that was over looked, (when people order LED's), and why many seem dim as the don't reflect off the inside of the housing properly.

The wider the viewing angle, the better they will work.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts