Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Everything nowadays is solid state, so it's time to lose the discs. Play them in your computer one last time, as scrimshaw77 suggests, and convert them. There's lots of software available for free that will do this, including iTunes.

The other option you could consider is a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the headphone jack of a portable CD player. They are available on Amazon.com and don't cost too much. You just have to supply the portable player.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
What's a disc player? I think I saw something like that at a antique place at a flea market a few years back.

Seriously....you might was well put a 45 RPM record player in your car....they use to have those you know!

Rip them CD's and move them to a memory stick. A good memory stick the size of your thumbnail will hold about every CD you own.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Everything nowadays is solid state, so it's time to lose the discs. Play them in your computer one last time, as scrimshaw77 suggests, and convert them. There's lots of software available for free that will do this, including iTunes.

The other option you could consider is a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the headphone jack of a portable CD player. They are available on Amazon.com and don't cost too much. You just have to supply the portable player.
Bluetooth transmitter won't work; the car only will pair with a phone.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I'm old enough to remember when 4 track tape players were updated to 8 tracks. I remember when 8 tracks were replaced by cassette players and rendered my 8 track tapes obsolete. I embraced cassette tapes because I could listen to books on tape and start and stop them without losing my place. When CDs came out, I bought a truck that played both cassettes and CDs ($150 option on my 04 F-150). I still have a box full of books on tape. I found I could do much the same thing with CDs as long as I didn't remove them from the radio.

I thought I made a mistake by buying a 2016 EX-L and not waiting on the 17. Since I found out the 17 doesn't have a CD player, I am glad I got a 16.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'm old enough to remember when 4 track tape players were updated to 8 tracks. I remember when 8 tracks were replaced by cassette players and rendered my 8 track tapes obsolete.
I'm old enough to remember how excited I got when I purchased my first new car and it actually had an FM radio!

I think car manufacturers are yielding to the smart phone addiction of our younger generation.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I thought I made a mistake by buying a 2016 EX-L and not waiting on the 17. Since I found out the 17 doesn't have a CD player, I am glad I got a 16.
Man, you are showing your age! I get in my brothers 2016 EX and it feels .....well....old and dated! Buying a car because it has a CD player....OK....:D Heck with all those safety features that have proven to reduce accidents and deaths, better suspension, better handling, better fuel efficiency, more room, quieter, etc. I want my CD's !!!

·
Registered
653 Posts
My '17 keeps its place on music MP3s that are loaded on a USB drive.
It certainly takes some getting used to being without a CD, but it's so much better with the USB, both for storage and easy of use.

I remember carrying around those bulky "mini suitcase" storage boxes for 8 track tapes -- and you usually couldn't fit more than 12-15 or so in the largest ones. Thought it was really neat when cassettes came out because they were so much smaller, but we still had bulky boxes that just held more tapes. Then the sleek, thin CDs -- but you still needed somewhere to stow them -- still had to "mess" with them whether it was in their storage case or the CD player which could be a serious driver distraction. Worst of all, you needed somewhere convenient in your vehicle to stow the storage cases.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is where I keep my ripped CDs. I have retired my case full of music cds and stowed it in the house.
I was thinking of reripping my cds to wma instead of mp3 and try to see the difference if any. Coin Metal Money Currency Silver

·
Registered
653 Posts
This is where I keep my ripped CDs. I have retired my case full of music cds and stowed it in the house.
I was thinking of reripping my cds to wma instead of mp3 and try to see the difference if any. View attachment 85210
I haven't tried transferring my playlist to my USB stick yet, but do you have to just let it play itself out in order or do you have control over the playlist via the interface? I may have to stick with my nano and just let it shuffle for me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I haven't tried transferring my playlist to my USB stick yet, but do you have to just let it play itself out in order or do you have control over the playlist via the interface? I may have to stick with my nano and just let it shuffle for me.
Yes you have control of what to play. My playlist is are in different folders. You can select, random song in folder, random folders, etc.. Music sounds clean with the mp3s on usb, much better than the stock radio anyway.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yes you have control of what to play. My playlist is are in different folders. You can select, random song in folder, random folders, etc.. Music sounds clean with the mp3s on usb, much better than the stock radio anyway.
Thanks. I'm not a big fan of Sirius, so this will do nicely.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I went kicking and screaming to my phone for my audiobooks bc the 17 has no CD player. Its been okay. It seems the only people who care are those who get audiobooks from the library and a few CD lovers like me.

My library is also cutting down on available audiobooks for check out. It does seem to be a dying thing.

·
Registered
653 Posts
My library is also cutting down on available audiobooks for check out. It does seem to be a dying thing.
I have a family member who is consistently looking for audiobooks from the Library. Our local City restricts how many you can check out at a time which is a pain if you have an upcoming road trip. Amazon Audible offers subscriptions, but it is pretty costly ($14.95 a month) and I'm pretty confused on what you actually get for the subscription, but they do offer a free trial. There's another subscription (Amazon Audible) that's free if you're a Prime member, but I don't know much about that either.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't want to pay for something my library has or can get from another library. They also have some audiobooks for download but I really enjoy browsing the shelves looking for a new audiobook or two. I'll see an author I like and see something else he/she has written, read the back and decide to try it or not. I'll find something I had forgotten I wanted to read or something I had not heard of that catches my eye. To me, it is very different than browsing lists of recommended audiobooks online.

I will adjust but I won't like it! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I miss my 6 disc changer from my mint condition 2010 CRV! I prefer the discs to the "flashdrive", the radio is so confusing on the 2018 CRV, as is the entire infotainment system! It's way cheaper for the manufacturer to put a little electronic board instead of a disc changer. A sign of the times, things cost more & they are made cheaper & cheaper, with very low quality. Even the rubber floor mats from Honda are paper thin compared to the one's from my 2010 CRV! I could go on & on, but enough said....Honda has really changed, I worked as an auto-body tech for 20 years & Honda's were always a delight to work on, but now they're trash, cheaply made & poor quality. Wait till Honda has to recall all the 2017 & 2018 & 2019 CRV's for the gas in oil problem!! I guarantee it's coming! The sooner the better!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.