Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my taste, the audible vehicle alert speaker, required in the US from 2019 for speeds below about 20 mph is annoying.

I asked a local Honda dealer service advisor if it can just be unplugged. He said yes, but it will likely "throw a code" with a dashboard warning light, during vehicle system check on start up.

Anyone have specific knowledge (with respect - not opinions without direct experience) if this would, in fact be true? Of course, one could also put some duct tape over the speaker outlet, visible as a small black cylinder behind lower front grill.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
413 Posts
UK has a cancel switch which defaults to off when the CRV is powered down so it needs to be reset every time car is started. Worth a check to see if you have one.

Personally I don’t really understand why I’d want to cancel the alert as the generated noise is pretty benign compared to engine noise.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was almost hit by a Hybrid without an alert sound in the WalMart parking lot yesterday. I loaded groceries in our Honda van, stepped back to move the cart so I could close the hatch and woosh a vehicle running on electric passed with in half a yard / metre of me!!! I saw the blue Hybrid badge, but did not recognize the make and model as it speed off. I will be keeping the wind chimes on for my Hybrid CR-V.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Volt and CR-V Hybrid. Both have the pedestrian alert that you hear from outside the vehicle. However, the CR-V is much louder. Below 22 I hear it all the time within the vehicle. I don't want to disable it as it will throw a code, but I do want to muffle it where i don't hear it inside the car. When we first took delivery it was throwing the code and the dealer said the connector was just loose, so you can't just un-plug it.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V AWD EX-L 1.5T, 2018 Accord Touring Hybid
221 Posts
Never heard this pedestrian alert inside the cabin.

I know its operating as pedestrians look my way as I approach but personally I’m unaware as to what it actually sounds like.
In my Accord hybrid, it's very noticable when I enter and leave the garage. But oudoors, it is just a low-level hum, kinda like a choir warming up three rooms away. You might notice it at a stop sign with a line, since it turns off when you come to a full stop, and comes on again when you creep forward.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,558 Posts
I have been asked whats that weird noise you car makes never heard it myself
Which kind of proves the "noise" is doing it's job.. alerting. :)

I agree with you that supermarket parking lots (really any parking lot) can be hazardous in a number of ways... and it gets worse as more people seem to be perpetually tethered to the internet with their eyes and ears on their smartphones and oblivious to anything else around them.

·
Super Moderator
7,558 Posts
I know its operating as pedestrians look my way as I approach but personally I’m unaware as to what it actually sounds like.

Proof of "working as intended". :D

If is saves lives or bodily injuries... it needs to stay and something that cannot be defeated, in my view. Grumblers should just make use of one of the best characteristics of human beings --> the ability to adapt, rather than censor.

Personally, I am old school, and make liberal use of my horn in parking lots to get pedestrians or drivers out of "coma mode". You get in my way, or behave recklessly, and you get an ear full of horn from me. I would likely continue to do so.. even if I had one of the new hybrids with the alert built in. :p

·
Registered
2017 CR-V AWD EX-L 1.5T, 2018 Accord Touring Hybid
221 Posts
Just revisiting this after what happened the other day.
For my taste, the audible vehicle alert speaker, required in the US from 2019 for speeds below about 20 mph is annoying.

I asked a local Honda dealer service advisor if it can just be unplugged. He said yes, but it will likely "throw a code" with a dashboard warning light, during vehicle system check on start up.

Anyone have specific knowledge (with respect - not opinions without direct experience) if this would, in fact be true? Of course, one could also put some duct tape over the speaker outlet, visible as a small black cylinder behind lower front grill.
I had pulled up in the school bus load/unload area of the local High School, to drop off my early ballot in the box located just outside its main entrance. There was no school that day, but there was some kind of fundraiser going on in the same area.

As I was walking back to my car, a student ran out of the building, right in front of my car, to give something to two parents working the fundraiser. I started to drive off as she was remaining there to talk to them. But she suddenly, and without looking, turned to run back inside at the exact same moment I pressed the accelerator. I don't know if she noticed the motion, or heard the AVAS, but she got a startled look on her face, looked right at me, and stopped at about the same time I did.

She gave me a sheepish grin, and I let her hurry back inside before starting again. Thankful that I never considered disabling AVAS.

Personally I don’t really understand why I’d want to cancel the alert as the generated noise is pretty benign compared to engine noise.
I can barely hear it in the car when I’m driving...But I did hear it clearly when my wife drove it the other day. I have heard the other noises from Ford and Toyota hybrids, and I found Honda’s to be the least annoying.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My family's 2020 EX CRV Hybrid is 3 days old. Tonight at about midnight the pedestrian alarm went off when my husband drove off and I was standing by the car. It was a beautiful noise like a chord, but was soooo loud that I was sure the neighbors would be disturbed. We had no clue what was wrong. He stopped and started the car a few times. Finally he just drove off.

It's surely going to cause anxiety for CRV drivers, and maybe disturbed pedestrians could hit or scratch the car. I don't need more stress in my life, and having my car emit a way loud unceasing chord like singing angel/demons is undesirable. It would be one thing if such chords were common and people were used to them. But no...

Well, it's only been three days. We'll study the problem. I appreciate the chance to ventilate.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
My family's 2020 EX CRV Hybrid is 3 days old. Tonight at about midnight the pedestrian alarm went off when my husband drove off and I was standing by the car. It was a beautiful noise like a chord, but was soooo loud that I was sure the neighbors would be disturbed. We had no clue what was wrong. He stopped and started the car a few times. Finally he just drove off.

It's surely going to cause anxiety for CRV drivers, and maybe disturbed pedestrians could hit or scratch the car. I don't need more stress in my life, and having my car emit a way loud unceasing chord like singing angel/demons is undesirable. It would be one thing if such chords were common and people were used to them. But no...

Well, it's only been three days. We'll study the problem. I appreciate the chance to ventilate.
It's a law. I'm going to guess you didn't do enough research on hybrids before buying one. Since it's only been 3 days, maybe you can return it and get a regular gas powered CR-V. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,558 Posts

With hybrids, plug-in hybrids, and EVs proliferating across the industry now.. these alerts will become ubiquitous in a few years.. and they will have to be just a bit on the obnoxious side or peoples minds will quickly learn to just filter them to /ignore level.

And please keep in mind... not everyone has excellent hearing.. so making them softer sounding and less obvious is a big mistake in pedestrian safety.

Their main mission and purpose is to save lives... particularly those of kids who can be oblivious to their surroundings, and older adults who do not hear as well as they used to and as a result can lose sense of vehicles close by when said vehicles are essentially silent otherwise.

Systems like these would not be required if every driver and every pedestrian was alert to their surroundings at all times. But in our modern era of rampant ADHD like effects due to nose-in-the-phone-constantly world... systems like these are needed and do save lives.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,200 Posts
The most obvious place these sounds are beneficial is in a parking lot of a grocery store. Picture an older lady putting her groceries in her trunk/hatch, closing it, then heading across the isle to put the cart in the corral. An electric car or Hybrid in EV mode is approaching from the left, but she did not see it, as she was headed to the corral on the right.

OR a pedestrian is about to cross a street in a cross walk at a intersection...same scenario.

We are trained to listen as well as look for danger. Often times the sound is the first alert we hear.

I am not saying it wouldn't be annoying in a quiet suburban neighborhood at midnight....but then neither is my neighbors Harley! Fortunately, he doesn't ride it at midnight!

Reactions: williamsji

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
So you're saying. the electric car has a alert for us walkers? how bout why not simply make it would like a real car like the electronic engine revs. then some chime.

·
Super Moderator
7,558 Posts
I wouldn't want to disable to sound but I wish there was a selection to choose from.
I would be cute if the owner could set that sound like we can set ring tones on phones. :)

Me.. I would go with an audio clip of my Jack-Whippet... who is not shy at all about barking early, often, loudly. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 112 Posts