Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local Honda dealer told me today a critical part had been discontinued; a fuel supply line for a 99. Not a part I want to get at the junk yard. I have never run into this with other brands of vehicles. What is the experience(s) of this group?

·
Registered
711 Posts
By law, US vehicle manufacturers only have to provide parts for 7 years after the last model year vehicle is made.
Sometimes 3rd parties make part for popular parts that fail.

It is going to be harder to keep new vehicles running after the 7th year as the computers that keep the vehicles running no longer have the chips they used being made so no third party replacements.

The parts for a 99 have not be made for 12 years. New old stock only lasts so long. Only parts that continued to be used on newer models get made after the 7th year.

Things that are disposable (brake pads, air filters, wiper blades, fluids, timing belts, water pumps, spark plugs) tend to be made as long as enough vehicles are running to make a profit to make them.

It becomes harder to find things that fail after the 10th year - ABS controllers, engines and transmission are rare to find new, that is why most are re-manufactured. Many items like alternators and A/C compressors have newer models that can be retrofitted.

·
Premium Member
2001 Honda CR-V 4WD EX
7 Posts
Search Engine: “japan direct to market auto parts”. Browse sites or refine search.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts