Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the safest thing to use on my 2019 EX Ls leather steering wheel or anything touched without damaging the leather. Thanks

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
BZK (Benzalkonium Chloride) wipes is the best option as they are water based, with 0.13% BKZ as the viral disinfectant. It is what hospitals use for disinfecting handwipes.

Problem is.... if you don't have them already.... next to impossible to find right now.

Next best choice would be a Lysol disinfecting wipe or similar, that does NOT use alcohol. Again though.. impossible to find right now for most people.

Barring the two above ideas.... simple soap and water on a cloth and wipe it down, leave it for 5 minutes and then wipe the soap off using a cloth with only water on it. Soap is an effective disinfectant.

What you want to avoid is anything with alcohol as that is very tough on leather. Debunking Myths: Frequently recommended leather remedies that ruin leather

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BZK (Benzalkonium Chloride) wipes is the best option as they are water based, with 0.13% BKZ as the viral disinfectant. It is what hospitals use for disinfecting handwipes.

Problem is.... if you don't have them already.... next to impossible to find right now.

Next best choice would be a Lysol disinfecting wipe or similar, that does NOT use alcohol. Again though.. impossible to find right now for most people.

Barring the two above ideas.... simple soap and water on a cloth and wipe it down, leave it for 5 minutes and then wipe the soap off using a cloth with only water on it. Soap is an effective disinfectant.

What you want to avoid is anything with alcohol as that is very tough on leather. Debunking Myths: Frequently recommended leather remedies that ruin leather
Thanks so much.

·
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,109 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Also, don't use the Clorox wipes either, no bleach on leather, cloth, or plastic.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I honestly don't worry about disinfecting the leather. Viruses don't live very long on leather. All I usually do is wipe with microfiber cloth with distilled water as needed to clean the seats. The manual says you can use mild soapy water. In fact, soap and water will kill all microbes (bacteria and viruses) by breaking them up to be wiped away.

Now, when you take it in for service during this time, they wipe all the touch spots with an automotive grade, polymer safe disinfectant, but I don't know exactly what it is.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Correction here
soap and water does not kill ALL bacteria and viruses. That is just none sense.
Please show scientific source of information.
If you are concerned about virus dont touch any place you would come in contact with body fluids or an open wound. Like eyes mouth, nose, a qtip in your ears. An open wound can be as simple as a small cut from shaving or anything that would allow virus and bacteria entering your body.
Read labels, you will not find a 100% anti anything over the counter.
Btw UV light is strong enough , just turn steering wheel to different positions everytime you park and wipe it clean with leather specific cleaners.
Hope this help

·
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,109 Posts
Actually, a warm wipe-down with soap and water doesn't need to kill anything, it just removes it from the surface in question, after which it's no longer an issue. The sunlight will kill most of what might get on your leather. It will in Texas, anyway. We all already know nothing kills everything, it's why even the sterile field in a surgery is not perfect. But these things are far more effective than doing nothing. We are not doing surgery on our car seats. The truth is, if your leather has been exposed, it's likely you have too. So protect yourself first.

Of course, if your leather is exposed to midgets, all bets are off. Those little monsters are simply too unpredictable! If I was going to carry them in my car, I would make them wear trash bags covering their entire bodies, until they were out of the car again. Then I would spray them down with the fire hose. :cool: Either that or just make them ride on the luggage rack or packed in duffel bags.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts