Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My display screen screen (HU) in my 2018 CR-V EXL had many of the same problems as many posters did with the flashing and beeping. I took a video to show the Honda dealer maintenance rep (who claimed that he had never heard of this problem before). They replaced the audio unit and it seemed to to better for a short time until the screen and radio failed completely (just a black screen). I asked the dealer what was the problem and he said that they do not know, they just replace the parts. Since many people have had the same problem, it seems that Honda would troubleshoot the root cause of problem and provide either a software or a hardware fix rather than just replacing the part with the same defective part. I really do like our CRV but am increasingly disappointed by the lack of Honda's attention to get a reliable display.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My display screen screen (HU) in my 2018 CR-V EXL had many of the same problems as many posters did with the flashing and beeping. I took a video to show the Honda dealer maintenance rep (who claimed that he had never heard of this problem before). They replaced the audio unit and it seemed to to better for a short time until the screen and radio failed completely (just a black screen). I asked the dealer what was the problem and he said that they do not know, they just replace the parts. Since many people have had the same problem, it seems that Honda would troubleshoot the root cause of problem and provide either a software or a hardware fix rather than just replacing the part with the same defective part. I really do like our CRV but am increasingly disappointed by the lack of Honda's attention to get a reliable display.
From what I can see they replaced the part, and they reported the issue, so I guess they are working it, maybe the dealer guys need to work a bit harder to nail down the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
From what I can see they replaced the part, and they reported the issue, so I guess they are working it, maybe the dealer guys need to work a bit harder to nail down the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have been struggling with the same issue in my 2017 CRV EX almost since we bought it. Was able to capture in person at the dealer and they replaced the display in 2018. But it later started the same flashing and cycling again even with the new unit. Caught it on video and brought back to dealer, who researched and in March 2019 said there was a tech line bulletin on it, but there was no known fix yet. In June of 2019 the service dept told me that a suspected fix is identified and they would need to swap out the unit once the fix was implemented. In August of 2019 the service dept tells me they have no idea and I should contact Honda Customer Care and open a case with them. Waiting to see what's the next move by Honda, but after 5 Honda vehicles over the past 14 years, I am losing my confidence in their vehicles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I received the latest software update a cpl weeks ago. Well the screen went black again, still black now. I am Canadian so I reported to Transport Canada that my safety regulation rear view camera is not working. A recall should help them come up with a lasting solution.
Canadians can report a safety defect on the Transport Canada website. Not sure if it is a regulation item for the USA.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I received the latest software update a cpl weeks ago. Well the screen went black again, still black now. I am Canadian so I reported to Transport Canada that my safety regulation rear view camera is not working. A recall should help them come up with a lasting solution.
Canadians can report a safety defect on the Transport Canada website. Not sure if it is a regulation item for the USA.
My 2017 CRV has had a problems since 3 months old adn 8K mi. Most items were fix except one. You can not adjust the screen brightness since 8 months old and 20k mi. It stays full brigtness all the time. Dealer has updated firmware, reset unit, and even installed the latest fix 19-066. Nothing works. Been in dealer at least 6 times. Also have a letter from honda from Jan 2019 saying they don't know how to fix it. After the 19-066 fix performed Sept 2019 was unsuccessful, called honda cust service to see what the next step is. Vehicle is under 3 years old but now has 60Kmi. Now they are saying to replace the unit, but they will only pay half.. They say I have to pay $270 for this repair when I have reported the problem several times to the dealer when within the warrantee mileage. So BEWARE honda doesn't pull this stunt with you. I have escalated it with honda and am waiting. But since your replacement didn't fix anything, I am not sure what the next step should be. HELP!!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The brightness issue is super-frustrating (and a separate issue from the screen going black.) They've known about it for well over a year, and there's even a tech note about it. The "fix" involves the dealer ordering a new Head Unit, and then when Mitsubishi (who makes the HU) receives the order, they'll look at the note on what problem it's supposed to fix, and they may or may not send out a USB stick that updates the OS on the HU. Hope Honda does the right thing; no problem reported during the warranty period should cost the customer anything.

Why a dealer must order a new head unit in order to (maybe) receive a USB stick is beyond me. You may also want to call Honda "In-Car Tech Support"; don't know the Canada number, but the US number is 888-578-7876. (To dial it from Canada as an international toll call, 888 becomes 881.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
The brightness issue is super-frustrating (and a separate issue from the screen going black.) They've known about it for well over a year, and there's even a tech note about it. The "fix" involves the dealer ordering a new Head Unit, and then when Mitsubishi (who makes the HU) receives the order, they'll look at the note on what problem it's supposed to fix, and they may or may not send out a USB stick that updates the OS on the HU. Hope Honda does the right thing; no problem reported during the warranty period should cost the customer anything.

Why a dealer must order a new head unit in order to (maybe) receive a USB stick is beyond me. You may also want to call Honda "In-Car Tech Support"; don't know the Canada number, but the US number is 888-578-7876. (To dial it from Canada as an international toll call, 888 becomes 881.)
Thanks, I started with the in car tech line which is where I learned about the 19-066 USB stick update.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
19-066 is an update the dealer downloads that is applied via USB stick (it's a minor patch to the firmware for the touchscreen), but the one for stuck brightness is a full OS update, and is not downloadable; the dealer will be shipped a stick. (It's also, bizarrely, not orderable as a discrete part.)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
19-066 is an update the dealer downloads that is applied via USB stick (it's a minor patch to the firmware for the touchscreen), but the one for stuck brightness is a full OS update, and is not downloadable; the dealer will be shipped a stick. (It's also, bizarrely, not orderable as a discrete part.)
I bet Honda is as frustrated with Mitsubishi as owners are with this process.

You can bet the gen6 will feature at-home wireless updates by the owner.. similar to the current generation Accord.. only broader in scope for more then just the head unit.

I do know that one thing that forces firmware updates at the dealer for many systems is the need to insure the vehicle has uninteruptable battery power during an update (which can take as long as an hour in some cases) and the vehicle but be in assessory mode or turned on. That would pose some hazards at home with owners who cannot or will not follow stated instructions and precautions. I'm interested to see how Honda solves this issue, as they clearly are moving toward allowing more control by owners on software updates.

·
Registered
641 Posts
The brightness scale does pop up from time to time but goes away if I press any other button. The issue I have is transitions from phone call to text to Siri to whatever. Example: listening to SAT radio and a text comes in. Hit button to read it and when done it doesn't switch back to radio screen. Same thing sometimes when receive phone call. Either won't switch screens or goes completely blank. Also have issues if phone plugged in and using Carplay. Turn off car leave phone plugged in, get back in and when turn on car get message that no device found or searching. Unplug phone and plug back in and things are fine. Do you think the update 19-066 might help this?

·
Registered
544 Posts
The brightness scale does pop up from time to time but goes away if I press any other button. The issue I have is transitions from phone call to text to Siri to whatever. Example: listening to SAT radio and a text comes in. Hit button to read it and when done it doesn't switch back to radio screen. Same thing sometimes when receive phone call. Either won't switch screens or goes completely blank. Also have issues if phone plugged in and using Carplay. Turn off car leave phone plugged in, get back in and when turn on car get message that no device found or searching. Unplug phone and plug back in and things are fine. Do you think the update 19-066 might help this?
No, I don't think TSB 19-066 will help.
We have had more occurrences since 19-066 was applied than we had before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts