Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had a #1 cylinder misfire, but the engine would run. replaced cap and rotor now engine won't start. turns over but won't run. tried different rotor and nothing. no fuses blown. coil getting power. tried the old cap (old rotor stuck came off in pieces). nothing. spark plugs not sparking. out of ideas. Anyone?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Did you check the igniter? And just because the coil is getting power doesn't mean it is working. Ignition coils are a pretty common point of failure on Honda ignition systems. Did you pull a spark plug and confirm that it wasn't firing or assuming it isn't firing because it won't start?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes I pulled the plug. Yes I checked the igniter. I've heard from more than a few that coils rarely go bad but that shouldn't be a factor as I replaced the whole distributor assy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
if the engine was running even with the misfire and you only replace the cap and rotor and then it would not run I suspect that the dist. rotor was installed wrong. unless you touched a plug or a cable. if that was the case trace back all wiring harness and plugs, even ground cables if ther was anything close by.
if you replaced the whole dist. did you matched the numbers between distributors.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
If you turn the engine over using the starter, without the distributor cap on ( for instance, to line up the rotor screw) or with one or more spark plug wires disconnected without disconnecting the low voltage connector at the distributor or without pulling the proper fuse, you can easily short out the ignition coil. You can do a coil resistance test with a multi-meter
Try this site: http://easyautodiagnostics.com/honda/2.2L-2.3L/honda-ignition-system-tests-1
Buffalo4

·
Registered
895 Posts
I know of several people that had to replaced the distributor on theirs. More than likely your ignition coil was the problem and ignition coil failure is a pretty common ignition problem across the board with Honda until they started using coil on plug. Easy to fix and usually pretty straight forward to diagnose. Glad you sorted it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts