Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Disclaimer: As the title implies, this is not about "taking it to the pro", because that would be pure science, right? ;)

As a DIY enthusiast, I think there is more art than science to doing things myself. Because, in my opinion, DIY promotes development of body, mind and soul. Just think about the dirty hands, scratched body parts, swearing, developing a "relationship" with a vehicle, having "faith" in the "fix" you just did etc etc.

What do you think?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,864 Posts
Well, as with anything, PRACTICE makes PERFECT.

For many DIYers, it is their first time doing as repair or procedure. So, it takes longer.

But the $$$ savings are tremendous. The feeling of accomplishment is priceless.

"Development of Body, Mind and Soul"? LOL, I just keep thinking of all the times I've spilled stuff on myself while I worked on cars. And pinched fingers. That's the type of development I coulda done without.

Does the ART thing come into play because MEN NEVER READ THE DIRECTIONS? LMAO.

And, the "relationship" I develop with a vehicle is usually because I mess up in some way and have to repair the repair.... (<--- Hey, it happens to the pros, too.)

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Along the PRACTICE makes PERFECT line of thought...I can recall two times I had to remove the engine/trans on two different cars to fix a problem I thought I'd already fixed. Once was because I didn't diagnose the problem properly in the first place, the second was because I couldn't find a 'Pro' that was willing to tackle the problem without me providing an 'open checkbook' so to speak. I chalk the second incident up to the cost of learning on my part. Thank you to the friends that helped me with that removal/install/removal/install process. I couldn't have done it without you. The first incident was pure dumb luck on my part, but it got a lot of work done on the car that I wouldn't have otherwise done if ever. On that one my son said "Gee Dad, we're gettin' pretty good at this aren't we?" Not what I really wanted to hear, but it was great working with him on it and he learned a lot from it.
So the ART and SCIENCE is there, I guess. I've found that having a plan, writing it down, or the steps down, and then, crossing them off as you do them really helps a lot. I've approached our engine removals this way and my son has seen how it helps. There's a list of things to do/need doing and if you check them off it shows progress, even if you can't 'see' it. So, I guess the SCIENCE part of it for me is the planning and the execution is the ART.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Disclaimer: As the title implies, this is not about "taking it to the pro", because that would be pure science, right? ;)

As a DIY enthusiast, I think there is more art than science to doing things myself. Because, in my opinion, DIY promotes development of body, mind and soul. Just think about the dirty hands, scratched body parts, swearing, developing a "relationship" with a vehicle, having "faith" in the "fix" you just did etc etc.

What do you think?
Not even close.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The art is intuition and the science is supposed to be logic and deduction. If you have a feeling you know what the problem is thats intuition. You may or may not be right. Science is troubleshooting and diagnosis. IT is supposed to find the real problem when what you think(intuition) is wrong!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,864 Posts
Help for DIY'ers

:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.