Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always changed my own oil because i have great lightweight ramps and can do for about 13 bucks. Haven't done on the 17 yet. Saw the directions for pulling off the under shield to get at it. Just wondering how much of a PITA it is to remove then put back together...

thanks.............

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
It adds about 5 min. to the job. You just need a stubby flat blade and Phillips screwdriver on the 5th gen crv. Previous 4th gen CRVs needed only a Phillips and the panel was smaller.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off, out CRV doesn't require synthetic, and there is some non-synthetics that are 0w20 if you look around abit...

I can get synthetic 0w20 from Walmart for about 3.50 quart (supertech) thier non synthetic is about 2.30 quart.. , 5 bucks honda OEM filter so lets say 14-15 bucks total then...

·
Registered
430 Posts
First off, out CRV doesn't require synthetic, and there is some non-synthetics that are 0w20 if you look around abit...

I can get synthetic 0w20 from Walmart for about 3.50 quart (supertech) thier non synthetic is about 2.30 quart.. , 5 bucks honda OEM filter so lets say 14-15 bucks total then...
Super tech has 0w20? Great, going to Walmart to day to pick up some!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL ok there MR SERIOUS... my bad freshly squeezed.... Supertech has 5w 20 synthetic ...

Actually its somebody's dream thinking that you can't use 5w20 in place of 0w20

·
Registered
430 Posts
Since the owner's manual specifies 0w-20 and the warranty booklet states that "the warranty does not cover a failure due to a low fluid level or the use of a fluid other than specified by Honda", could Honda deny a warranty claim on the engine if they discovered that I used 5w-20 oil?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm good question... This directly from the manual. I guess the key word "Recommended" can be interpreted many ways...

Recommended Engine Oil
■ Synthetic oil
You may also use synthetic motor oil if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal
and is the specified viscosity grade.
• Genuine Honda Motor Oil
• Premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil with an API Certification Seal on the
container.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,644 Posts
Don't just consider SuperTech (a fine oil, made by Warren in most parts of the country)

Mobil 1 costs ~$26 USD at Walmart and there is a $12 rebate from Mobil on the 5 qt jug, through May 31.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
My dealership allegedly will do free oil changes for my entire duration of ownership of the car. Not quite sure what the motivation is there... haven't decided if I'm going to take them up on it. I gotta wonder, are giving me the change for free that I might normally pay $40 or something for, with 0W-20 and a Honda filter? Or do the "free" changes consist of low-quality swill and a Jiffy-Lube grade filter?

(A friend got "free" oil changes on her Hyundai, but she had to agree to let them rotate the tires (every time) for $30 in order to take advantage of it... sneaky.)

·
Registered
973 Posts
Aside from warranty work, I avoid the dealership for maintenance work. And they always send out discount coupons to get me in the door. I prefer to do my own oil/filter changes and visit good local independent auto repair shops when needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Aside from warranty work, I avoid the dealership for maintenance work. And they always send out discount coupons to get me in the door. I prefer to do my own oil/filter changes and visit good local independent auto repair shops when needed.
i 100% agree. no one will take care of your car like you would. i guess if you don't really have much vested in the vehicle (e.g. don't really care) then no biggie. but i prefer to know exactly what goes in my car and what components are being used (filter, etc.).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts