Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suggested tools - Flashlight, 8mm driver, trim removal tool, 17mm ratchet and electrical tape.
image.jpg
Remove cargo light lense and two 8mm screws.
Remove weather seal from top and right side of hatch opening. (Pulls off easy)
Separate upper and lower right side panels using trim removal tool.
image.jpg
Gently pull down on left and right side of headliner to expose two retainers. Separate using trim removal tool.
image.jpg
Pull back right upper side panel to expose antenna connectors.
image.jpg
Disconnect two connectors and cable attachment points leading to antenna.
Gently pull down on headliner to expose antenna mount and remove 17mm nut. Remove antenna.
image.jpg
The XM antenna connector needs to be exposed further up the cable cover on the shark fin to reach it's attachment point. Cut electrical tape securing the cable cover and pull out of cover to expose about 8". Re-tape cable cover.
image.jpg
Assemble in reverse order and you're done. Expect the changeout to take about an hour. It took me about 45 minutes but take your time and don't be in a hurry.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Thanks for putting this together. Can you clarify: Did you have to 'extend' the XM wire by attaching more wire (I assume not), or did you just simply pull out more wire from the existing harness (I assume yes).

Not sure how there would be any slack on the existing harness to 'pull out'.. Honda is notorious for making everything pretty tight.

Also, some pics of the Shark Fin interior would have been useful, but too late now.

Seems awfully complicated with the panels etc. Why do you have to disconnect the cable at the right side, and remove all panels there on the right? Cant you just lower the headliner at the top, reach the nut, extend the cable at the top, and be done with it?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Thanks for putting this together. Can you clarify: Did you have to 'extend' the XM wire by attaching more wire (I assume not), or did you just simply pull out more wire from the existing harness (I assume yes).

Not sure how there would be any slack on the existing harness to 'pull out'.. Honda is notorious for making everything pretty tight.

Also, some pics of the Shark Fin interior would have been useful, but too late now.

Seems awfully complicated with the panels etc. Why do you have to disconnect the cable at the right side, and remove all panels there on the right? Cant you just lower the headliner at the top, reach the nut, extend the cable at the top, and be done with it?
You can not lower the headliner without removing the side panel, they are interlocked together.

·
Registered
704 Posts
QUestion: DO you have to perfectly orient the fin, or does it just fit in place in a fixed orientation (straight). ?

Also, is there any rubberized flap at the base of the fin, like the OEM antenna had?

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry JustinTime, I misread your question. The antenna mounts are identical on the bottom and orients itself. And yes, it comes with the rubber seal. The only thing that is reused is the mounting nut.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Great! thanks for another great DIY and I will definitely have to do this. Ordered my shark fin.

·
Registered
704 Posts
SO I am ordering a number of panel clips (because I always tend to break one or two), and this is a mystery to me: The upper side panel has red clips (as per the pics in this thread, and also as verified by myself on my 2012 CR-V). However parts 13, 15, 17 in the link below are either green (13) or yellow (17), or black/white (15, as per pictures I have found via google).

So, what is this red clip that I see all over the upper side panel?!

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_P...geID=20946 1491517&isBigPicture=true#partlist

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really helps to have a set of trim removal tools. I purchased mine at Harbour Freight Tools. I think I paid about 5 bucks.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You'll be fine. By the way, I'm a fairly big guy, if I can get my hands and arms into these places, so can you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Where did you get the fin? I have a 2013 White diamond pearl. Is yours the same and how does the fin color match?

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where did you get the fin? I have a 2013 White diamond pearl. Is yours the same and how does the fin color match?
I have white diamond and the shark fin matches perfectly. Got mine from Bernardi Acura Parts.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
What are the advantages of a shark fin vs the original antenna, other than looks?

1 - 20 of 104 Posts