Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going on a 500mile road trip and was wondering if running mid range 89 would maybe give the car better milage, performance and maybe help de-gunk the engine. anyone here run 89 or above on their CRVs?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Im going on a 500mile road trip and was wondering if running mid range 89 would maybe give the car better milage, performance and maybe help de-gunk the engine. anyone here run 89 or above on their CRVs?
The short answer is no you won't. I'm sure people here will start a discussion about gasoline, additives, etc. Again the short answer is don't waist your money.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The short answer is no you won't. I'm sure people here will start a discussion about gasoline, additives, etc. Again the short answer is don't waist your money.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
thanks for the feedback, I definitely don't want to waste the money but curious to see since I've always wondered about 89 and higher

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,729 Posts
I follow Honda's recommendations. 87 or better octane and Top Tier or equivalent.
If you haven't been using Top Tier fuel, a shot of Techron or equivalent might help if your injectors are cruddy. Be sure to follow directions.
But putting higher octane than is required in your tank will only benefit the oil companies.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
505 Posts
I would rather use 87 and buy a bottle of fuel system cleaner or two if you really want to clean the fuel system. I use redline personally.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Honda says to use Top Tier 87 or higher, so we run higher. It may take a little while for the computer to learn it, but I have found that it learns faster if you get it into VTEC range with the higher octane.

On factory stock Honda VTEC and turbo engines, Hondata and Car and Driver have both found gains of anywhere from 8 wheel horsepower on up -- depending on a variety of factors.

On the K24W9, I have noticed a bump in torque down low and a bit of power up top. While it is a bump, whether that bump is worth it to you depends on your needs.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
846 Posts
Just follow Honda‘s recommendation……they engineered the car.

Fuel Information
■ Fuel recommendation
Unleaded gasoline, pump octane number 87 or higher
Use of lower octane gasoline can cause a persistent, heavy metallic knocking noise that can lead to engine damage.
■ Top tier detergent gasoline
Because the level of detergency and additives in gasoline vary in the market, Honda endorses the use of “TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline” where available to help maintain the performance and reliability of your vehicle. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline meets a new gasoline standard jointly established by leading automotive manufacturers to meet the needs of today’s advanced engines.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CRV EX 2.4l AT
570 Posts
I would think that driving slower and increasing your tire pressure would increase your mileage most. as for a fuel system cleaner, Honda literature has often listed BG 44K rather than techron. Don’t know if they’ve actually tested BG 44K as better, or if there is some agreement between the companies.

Reactions: CRVWill

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,803 Posts
Both BK44 and Techron contain the cleaning agent P.E.A. Google it.

I believe that RedLine has it in there, too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I follow Honda's recommendations. 87 or better octane and Top Tier or equivalent.
If you haven't been using Top Tier fuel, a shot of Techron or equivalent might help if your injectors are cruddy. Be sure to follow directions.
But putting higher octane than is required in your tank will only benefit the oil companies.
Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just follow Honda‘s recommendation……they engineered the car.

Fuel Information
■ Fuel recommendation
Unleaded gasoline, pump octane number 87 or higher
Use of lower octane gasoline can cause a persistent, heavy metallic knocking noise that can lead to engine damage.
■ Top tier detergent gasoline
Because the level of detergency and additives in gasoline vary in the market, Honda endorses the use of “TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline” where available to help maintain the performance and reliability of your vehicle. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline meets a new gasoline standard jointly established by leading automotive manufacturers to meet the needs of today’s advanced engines.
[/QUOTE
thank you for the feedback, im going to look into the top tier

·
Registered
223 Posts
No. Just use the cheapest gas you can find. You wont have a problem with gas unless you are in the middle of nowhere in a 3rd world country.
'Degunk the engine' works if you change the oil regularly and run long distances. Its the short start stop journeys and not changing the oil that causes the problem.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,729 Posts
No. Just use the cheapest gas you can find. You wont have a problem with gas unless you are in the middle of nowhere in a 3rd world country.
I'm not sure I'd agree with that. It might be true as the trucks leave the refinery, but any fuel, no matter how good, can degrade if stored too long, or under adverse or contaminated conditions.
I'm not sure if the old adage to not fuel up if the tanker is delivering is correct or not, the theory being the delivery will rile up detritus on the bottom of the tank I guess?
But I assume they have those thingamajigs called "filters"? :)
In any case I prefer stations that sell a lot of branded fuel to "Joe's Country Store and Gas", even if Joe is cheaper.
Modern engines can burn almost anything without any noticeable knock or ping, but that doesn't mean it's best for them in the long term.
(If there actually IS a "Joe's Country Store and Gas" I apologize, the name was fictional and only for illustration)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
'Degunk the engine' works if you change the oil regularly and run long distances. Its the short start stop journeys and not changing the oil that causes the problem.
Cheap is always good with me haha and I agree about changing the oil religiously with stop and go driving

1 - 20 of 106 Posts