Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I'm wondering if I should get a blind-spot mirror to attach to my driver's side mirror. Yes, I know that it's important to look over my shoulder before changing lanes, but I thought a little convex stick-on mirror might still be a good idea. Do any of you 2018 CRV owners use one? I just checked on google, and there are many shapes and sizes of these little mirrors available. I thought someone on this site might know the best shape/size/make model for our CRV driver's-side mirror.
Regards,
The Gentleman Driver

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,204 Posts
Hi there,
I'm wondering if I should get a blind-spot mirror to attach to my driver's side mirror. Yes, I know that it's important to look over my shoulder before changing lanes, but I thought a little convex stick-on mirror might still be a good idea. Do any of you 2018 CRV owners use one? I just checked on google, and there are many shapes and sizes of these little mirrors available. I thought someone on this site might know the best shape/size/make model for our CRV driver's-side mirror.
Regards,
The Gentleman Driver
If you have a 2018 CR-V, don't you have the blind spot warning lights on the mirrors? Wouldn't any added blind spot mirror likely cover them up?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm pretty good with using mirrors whilst driving. Between the ones on the CR-V and its blind spot monitors I've become confident in having the blind spots covered without peeking over my shoulders. I think a blind-spot mirror is (usually) small and unnecessary if you positions the left/right mirrors right. I can either see a car through the edge of the mirror and the blind-spot warning has me covered for beyond the edge of the mirror. The question is: Can you put your trust in technology?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi there,
Regards,
The Gentleman Driver
You might wanna try this nice trick my friend, I just learned it a few years back.
I hope it helps you as much as it helped me.

https://glassdoctor.com/blog/adjust-your-car-mirrors-for-maximum-visibility-and-safety

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have a 2018 CR-V, don't you have the blind spot warning lights on the mirrors? Wouldn't any added blind spot mirror likely cover them up?
Hi there,
I live in Canada, and have the EX model—I think that's it. The one just below the Touring model. Touring model a bit beyond my means, but absolutely wanted the heated steering wheel (see "live in Canada") so got the model I got.
If I click my right-turn signal I see what's behind me on the right-hand side of the car thanks to some built-in camera. But if there's something showing me what's on my left-hand side, other than my side-mirror, I don't know about it.
Regards, TGD

·
Registered
82 Posts
Between 2 of these...

and a wide angle attachment...

I have no blind spots except right down below the front windows. If I turn to look at either mirror, a car will be in my view before its reflection leaves the mirror.

·
Registered
603 Posts
This is why it is not fully reliable:

The BSI alert indicator may not come on under the following conditions:

-A vehicle does not stay in the alert zone for more than two seconds.
-A vehicle is parked in a side lane.
-The speed difference between your vehicle and the vehicle you are passing is greater than 6 mph (10 km/h).
-An object not detected by the radar sensors approaches or passes your vehicle
-Vehicle speed less than 20mph or more than 100mph
-There is an obstruction such as water splashing on the vehicle

·
Registered
30 Posts
@phareous Thanks for sharing your pic on here. How have your concave mirrors worked out for you? I've always used them and want to put some on our 2019, but was concerned we might cover up some sensor that might be behind the side-view glass. For us, they've helped in lane changes, but also in parking, to verify location between the lines.

·
5,204 Posts
@phareous Thanks for sharing your pic on here. How have your concave mirrors worked out for you? I've always used them and want to put some on our 2019, but was concerned we might cover up some sensor that might be behind the side-view glass. For us, they've helped in lane changes, but also in parking, to verify location between the lines.
The 2019s have Blind spot indicators (lights) on the mirrors, so I don't think it is a good idea to cover them. The sensors are not in the mirror, however.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Agree! I wouldn't cover the indicator. I'd place the little round mirror either "just a bit" below where Phareous did, in the corner. Thanks for confirming sensors aren't there. That was my main concern. I found a parts breakdown picture but couldn't see a label for each of the items behind the glass.

I've driven a variety of cars on a variety of business trips. One (don't remember which or where) had mirrors that would aim down a little, when the car was put into reverse. That would have take care of my "between the lines" interest. Of course it's one more thing to break. Once we're used to the reverse camera we may not want convex mirrors, but until then, it's an easy solution.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I've had no problems and the mirrors I added work great. Just don't cover up the indicators

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
"The system uses radar sensors in each corner of the rear bumper."

·
5,204 Posts

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Sorry, my bad. Broadway is the brand and clip on is how it goes on (spring loaded clamps over and under your existing mirror - so if there is anything you like/want/need in your OEM mirror (e.g. auto-dimming, video, etc), a clip/clamp on mirror like a Broadway will obscure it).

They come in a few different sizes/widths and also in flat or convex...

ETA - there are more choices/brands for the same type of product these days, I don't think you can go too wrong for under $20. One note, wide is nice but if too wide, it can interfere with sun visor operation...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.