Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Talking of 2018 CRV ...
Do CRVs manufactured at different locations have different suppliers?

My CRV is manufactured in Canada and has really substandard interior plastic.

I havent driven one manufactured somewhere else - i guess Ohio, Japan, Alabama, Indiana.

How do you complain to Honda about this?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Do CRVs manufactured at different locations have different suppliers?

My CRV is manufactured in Canada and has really substandard interior plastic.

I havent driven one manufactured somewhere else - i guess Ohio, Japan, Alabama, Indiana.

How do you complain to Honda about this?
Substandard compared to what? If you haven't seen a CR-V made elsewhere, you don't have a comparison with another CR-V to know if it's substandard to them.

Compared to a BMW, Mazda, Chevrolet, Mercedes? In any case, what exactly would be your complaint? That it looks bad or it breaks? If it breaks, that's warranty. If it looks bad in your opinion, why buy the car if it's a concern big enough to complain about?

Perhaps a little more detail on what you mean by substandard might clarify the question. Pictures?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I agree with what Gpopp said.
To answer your question they probably do not make door panels etc at the factories. These are probably made at a few central locations and shipped in by the container load.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Once you get past the structure and power train, you'll find that very little else is actually "manufactured" by the car maker. They send out specs for various bits and pieces to all the different component makers and they build the stuff like seats, trim, instruments, shocks, exhaust systems, etc.

Johnson Controls is a very large supplier to the auto industry. In spite of their name, they are one of the top manufacturers of seat.

Now these pieces should meet spec all the time but speaking from my construction equipment manufacturer days, stuff does come in that is off spec. I know our QC people only inspected samples of incoming material, not 100% of it. I don't know the process at a car assembly plant.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Substandard compared to what? If you haven't seen a CR-V made elsewhere, you don't have a comparison with another CR-V to know if it's substandard to them.

Compared to a BMW, Mazda, Chevrolet, Mercedes? In any case, what exactly would be your complaint? That it looks bad or it breaks? If it breaks, that's warranty. If it looks bad in your opinion, why buy the car if it's a concern big enough to complain about?

Perhaps a little more detail on what you mean by substandard might clarify the question. Pictures?
Sorry wasnt clear. ... compared to all previous Hondas I have owned. Civic, Accord, 09 CRV, Clarity

I have only owned Hondas BTW

The things I am complaining about is the interior trim in an LX. Steering wheel dashboard seats glove box -- mostly the finish. Even the keys in my 07 accord and 09 CRV are hundred times better than CRV LX .. just the finish.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sorry wasnt clear. ... compared to all previous Hondas I have owned. Civic, Accord, 09 CRV, Clarity

I have only owned Hondas BTW

The things I am complaining about is the interior trim in an LX. Steering wheel dashboard seats glove box -- mostly the finish. Even the keys in my 07 accord and 09 CRV are hundred times better than CRV LX .. just the finish.
Isn't that something that would have been noticeable when you test drove the car?

I traded in a 2013 RDX on my Touring and quite frankly, I think the CR-V isn't far off from my Acura in the interior. Acura had a little more soft surfaces but overall, it's pretty close considering being a lot less expensive.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Isn't that something that would have been noticeable when you test drove the car?

I traded in a 2013 RDX on my Touring and quite frankly, I think the CR-V isn't far off from my Acura in the interior. Acura had a little more soft surfaces but overall, it's pretty close considering being a lot less expensive.
I noticed it but was in hurry to buy and had no option. Could only go for LX since the other trims had the famous engine oil issues in turbo 1.5L

LX is a completely different animal than their other trims of CRV.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Your profile says you have a 2009 4WD LX 5AT.
Checking my favorite parts site shows all 2009s models have the same interior door panels.

But since you mentioned the 1.5L turbo, I suspect you have a newer CR-V than listed in your profile.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your profile says you have a 2009 4WD LX 5AT.
Checking my favorite parts site shows all 2009s models have the same interior door panels.

But since you mentioned the 1.5L turbo, I suspect you have a newer CR-V than listed in your profile.
i have a 2018 CRV now ... had a 09 CRV earlier (sold it last week).

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
2,466 Posts

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,579 Posts
really !! people look at someone profile rather than the content of thread
Yup people do. Your profile will also show the most recent visitors.
Car manufacturers are definitely making cars differently today in comparison to say ten years ago. Most cars are losing hundreds of pounds or KG in weight despite being safer. Yet at the same time they are gaining features and weight such as ACC etc. So that weight comes from every nook and cranny of the car.

·
Registered
2017 EX-L AWD
122 Posts
Yeah. It helps figure out who's just trolling when they don't own the vehicle they're opining about. It happens. If that's not your case, an updated profile would help.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
It is important to update your member profile to your current model/year/etc. Or put your vehicle info into your signature line, that would be great.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yeah. It helps figure out who's just trolling when they don't own the vehicle they're opining about. It happens. If that's not your case, an updated profile would help.
There's no vetting of the profile creation process. This is the internet. :)

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Since you edited it a few minutes before posting this question I know that you added the year to the first post.
It wasn't there when I posted my question, which is why I asked. :D

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
It is important to update your member profile to your current model/year/etc. Or put your vehicle info into your signature line, that would be great.
Just my 2 cents on this. Since the forum caters to CRV owners all over the world it would be best that if someone fills out their info in the signature line that it be considered as the real information as the profile page only allows the selection of USA and Canadian models. If you do not randomly select a NA model in the drop down list it will not allow you to save the profile page. So as it stands everyone outside of NA has incorrect model info in their profile page.

Rob

·
Registered
104 Posts
I noticed it but was in hurry to buy and had no option. Could only go for LX since the other trims had the famous engine oil issues in turbo 1.5L

LX is a completely different animal than their other trims of CRV.
Wow, that blows my mind. If I believed a vehicle truly had a statistical significance that it would have the oil problem, I would steer clear of it altogether (including the LX). I could not spend that much money settling on what I thought was substandard interior plastic with a loss of the many upgrades in the EX from, with a manufacture who had the famous oil problem.

I could see if you were dedicated to Honda and the budget did not allow the higher trim. The hard part is the oil problem is famous here on this forum and some other sites and it's always good to do your research first; statistically, though, if you never read this forum and bought the car you wanted with the features you liked, you would be none the wiser and happy (with a nicer inferior to boot).

That actually happened to me once. Bought a new Camry and immediately realized I was in trouble. I didn't have AWD anymore and the features on the LE trim left much to be desired. Traded it in after five days and less than 50 miles. My only saving grace was I purchased it the same time as our Sienna and got a crazy deal (after 14 hours of negotiation). It was a clean trade and lost nothing but gained my sanity back.

I get you're nervous about the oil problem but at what cost? If your budget allows it get something you'll be happy with.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am a loyal Honda fan so it pains me to look at other manufacturers. But I have to realize that 2018 Honda < 2000 Honda < 1980 Honda as far the quality of products.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts