Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever swapped a K24 from a 4th gen into a 3rd gen? We have a 2010 with high oil consumption issues. Looking to see what options we have to get a low mileage engine to prolong how long we keep this CR-V.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
What causes the oil consumption? (I know it was an issue in some K24s, but don't have time to look through hundreds of posts.) Was it defective piston rings?

The K24 block and heads are likely pretty much the same, but that's just the core of the engine. There may be minor differences. If an engine has a different compression ratio, that means the piston stroke is different, meaning it's a different camshaft. That's just one example. The ECUs in these cars are specific to the particular version of the engine in the car. So while you could swap ECUs, you would then probably have a mismatch in your harnesses somewhere, as the newer engine might have different sensors, solenoids, etc.. and could also be located in different places on the engine.

In some older Honda engines and transmissions, it was not a big deal to swap some parts from one to the other to make them comply. But given how complex engines are now, I can't think of anyone outside a DIYer who would even tackle it. So in other words, swapping in a gen 4 K24 isn't really a good option.

Best bet would be to either have the oil consumption fixed (which is a lot of labor), or get a used or rebuilt engine, and hope it's better than what you have. An engine swap should cost less in labor, as it avoids a lot of disassembly and reassembly, along with labor to correct the pistons (new rings, honing the cylinders, etc.).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the oil consumption was sticking piston rings. I found drop-in used engines for the 2010-2011 - but I am concerned, I am going back to the same world of sticking rings which was a known issue in 2010-2011 engines, Which is why I am looking at K24 CR-V engines from 2012 and up, to avoid that drama. Far as I can tell, HP, Torque etc did not change. In 2010, honda put out the K24Z6 to replace the K24Z2 - the differences seem minimal from my research and the K24Z6 continued on tiil 2016 when the turbo 1.5 came into place. From my research, the K24Z6 was brand new in 2010-2011, which led to the sticking rings, which honda resolved in the following years.

This is a good link - Honda K24A engine (K24Z, K24W, K24Y) | How good it is...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts