Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Planning to replace the battery of my 2015 CR-V SE AWD tomorrow with the ENERGIZER AGM 35. For that purpose while googling for instructions came across this link and came to know about the memory saver.

My questions are:

1) While replacing do i really need to use a memory saver to keep all of my settings intact?
2) If so, which one would be best?

As I'm living in apartment, don't have any power outlet at the basement.

Thanks in advance!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,164 Posts
That was a well-presented, comprehensive procedure for CR-V battery replacement. Thanks for the link!

As they said, the memory saver is a convenience, but is not absolutely necessary. I have one that is nothing but a 9V battery, wire, and connectors. I hardly use it anymore.

If you don't use one, you would need to re-set a couple things after installation (depending on year and options, you have an SE so you have MORE electronics). On our '06 we only need to input the radio code and automatic power windows. Have a look at your owners manual to see if anything else is required on your car.

Some will say that the 'cold boot' or master reset that occurs when changing a battery is a Good Thing. Funky, glitchy things can occur when voltage becomes low from a weak battery, so your electronics may benefit from being disconnected and 'starting over'.

BTW, you are installing an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery? Be aware that these take longer for your car to recharge, so short trips need to be balanced by a weekly longer trip (30 - 45 minutes).

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Some also say you should do the Idle Relearn Procedure, but I never noticed any difference if I didn't do one.
But, if you have idle problems after a battery disconnect, it would probably help.
Not sure how long it takes the computer to relearn the shifting points, air/fuel mixture etc, if any.

Buffalo4

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,558 Posts
Since way back when I owned my gen3 CRV... I simply use a pair of jumper cables to hold power from an adjacent vehicle while I change out the battery in the one needing replacement. Since I have two vehicles in our garage, this is easy to do.... and avoids any system resets of other complications from disconnnecting and losing battery power and is no different then performing a jump (other then find the right place to tap the + side of the car power bus).

A memory saver is something needed so seldom, I just don't see it being needed in most cases. A lot of them assume you can use the 12 power plug into the 12V assessory socket.. but in Hondas.. these are powered off when the vehicle is off.

That said... batteries get disconnected from CRVs by the dealers for various reasons (including to perform a hard reset) ... and clearly the vehicles are designed to come back on line and reinitialize afterwards. The thing about electronics though.. particlarly in a vehicle where there are dozens of different electronic systems all chit chatting via a communications bus.... unexpected things can happen sometimes.. so rather then tempt fate.. I go with the jumper-cable voltage hold method.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was a well-presented, comprehensive procedure for CR-V battery replacement. Thanks for the link!

As they said, the memory saver is a convenience, but is not absolutely necessary. I have one that is nothing but a 9V battery, wire, and connectors. I hardly use it anymore.

If you don't use one, you would need to re-set a couple things after installation (depending on year and options, you have an SE so you have MORE electronics). On our '06 we only need to input the radio code and automatic power windows. Have a look at your owners manual to see if anything else is required on your car.

Some will say that the 'cold boot' or master reset that occurs when changing a battery is a Good Thing. Funky, glitchy things can occur when voltage becomes low from a weak battery, so your electronics may benefit from being disconnected and 'starting over'.

BTW, you are installing an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery? Be aware that these take longer for your car to recharge, so short trips need to be balanced by a weekly longer trip (30 - 45 minutes).
By longer trip you mean on highway or city? From my home to office it takes about 35 min one way and I always take the local. Besides, 99% of my driving is in city. In that case which battery would be a good fit to my CR-V?

I have zero idea about car batteries. The ENERGIZER AGM battery I choose as I have a Costco Reward Coupon and the warranty of it (could not find any other battery that provides 5Y full refund).

Since way back when I owned my gen3 CRV... I simply use a pair of jumper cables to hold power from an adjacent vehicle while I change out the battery in the one needing replacement. Since I have two vehicles in our garage, this is easy to do.... and avoids any system resets of other complications from disconnnecting and losing battery power and is no different then performing a jump (other then find the right place to tap the + side of the car power bus).

A memory saver is something needed so seldom, I just don't see it being needed in most cases. A lot of them assume you can use the 12 power plug into the 12V assessory socket.. but in Hondas.. these are powered off when the vehicle is off.

That said... batteries get disconnected from CRVs by the dealers for various reasons (including to perform a hard reset) ... and clearly the vehicles are designed to come back on line and reinitialize afterwards. The thing about electronics though.. particlarly in a vehicle where there are dozens of different electronic systems all chit chatting via a communications bus.... unexpected things can happen sometimes.. so rather then tempt fate.. I go with the jumper-cable voltage hold method.
That's an excellent idea! I can ask one of my friend to come in and follow your jumper-cable voltage hold method.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,164 Posts
By longer trip you mean on highway or city? From my home to office it takes about 35 min one way and I always take the local.
It's a length of time thing. That 35 minute usage is OK for an AGM battery. ?

++++++++++

That Lithium jump starter would be just the thing if you intend to keep it connected while the battery is replaced.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,558 Posts
Bought this jump starter from Costco about a month ago and so far I've used it 5 times to boost my car. Wondering can it be used as a memory saver?
Generally, these modern jump starters expect there to be a battery present with at least 9 vdc or they will not work. Which is why they sometimes will not work to jump a completely drained battery. So I'm not sure if they will work as memory saver. Need to check the manual for the jump starter to be sure.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,070 Posts
I replaced the battery in my 16 Touring a few months ago. I think the only setting it forgot was the seat position.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Generally, these modern jump starters expect there to be a battery present with at least 9 vdc or they will not work. Which is why they sometimes will not work to jump a completely drained battery. So I'm not sure if they will work as memory saver. Need to check the manual for the jump starter to be sure.
Checked the manual but couldn't find anything about memory saver :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
We have 2 '16 CRV EX-Ls, one recently purchased, one leased. The battery in the leased one died and needed to be replaced. Not knowing the age of the battery in the purchased CRV, I moved that battery into the leased CRV (since it's getting returned) and put the new AGM battery in the purchased CRV. Needless to say, I had both of them battery-less for a while. One of them had the radio lock-out activated and eventually put up a message on the screen to hold the power switch for a few seconds to unlock it (hope that isn't the normal security measures!). The other one never went into any kind of lock-out (??). I never did any idle re-learn procedure on either of them, never used a memory saver and all was perfectly fine. I might of had to reenter the time but I don't remember. The moral of this story is why make things harder than they need to be?

BTW, the leased one is getting returned tomorrow for a 2019 EX-L. I have my fingers crossed on the OD, heat issues, braking false positives, etc. I am very sorry to see the 2016 go back - it was very good to us (not a single issue) - the wife wants the 2019. During the test drive, I thought the '19 was a little pokey off the line compared to our '16. I guess the turbo has to spool up first.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally I changed the battery of my CR-V and changed it without any memory saver. :) Other than clock, volume and fuel economy (l/100km) of trip A and B everything was unchanged.

Thanks everyone for your opinion! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts