Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a big blowout on one of my tires. The others are in fine shape but I had to purchase a new one as I was out of town and in a pinch. I went by mechanic when I got home and asked his advice. He acknowledged that my "old" tires were still plenty good but due to the AWD system, I would need to replace the other 3 as well. Looking around online I've seen most sites agree. However, a few say it depends on the manufacturer. One site particularly listed the CR-V as having a more robust AWD system and the difference shouldn't matter too much. I'm scheduled to have 3 more of the same tire installed tomorrow but I'd prefer not to if not absolutely necessary.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The owner's manual does say it's "best" to replace all four at once. However, it goes on to say if not possible or necessary, then 2 should be replaced.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Honda is vague about this topic, but other AWD manufacturers are more specific: Subaru says all tires must be within 2/32" of one another. Audi allows 4/32". Honda's system could be less-fussy, but how close are yours?

·
Registered
236 Posts
All four? No way....as long as the tread is within acceptable limits. I'd replace the two on the same axle with something having a similar tread design to the remaining two.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,063 Posts
A difference in circumference of more than 2 - 3% is all that Honda allows.

The rear diff will overheat if the sizes are not the same F&R because the pump will be continually working.

Years ago, I read that an owner had problems because a replacement tire (of the same brand and model) had a different circumference!

++++++++++

That said, you could replace just the one tire and compare it's circumference to the old ones. If it varies more than that allowed, you could get the tire shaved. (A race shop would be able to suggest someone for this service...in racecar classes that use street tires, owners commonly shave new tires to prevent chunking.)

·
Registered
442 Posts

The rear diff will overheat if the sizes are not the same F&R because the pump will be continually working.

Years ago, I read that an owner had problems because a replacement tire (of the same brand and model) had a different circumference!

++++++++++
Very true, difference in circumference causes RT4wd to kick in and you could potentially damage the system.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Did you figure out what caused the blowout?
If all your original tires were purchased at the same time and one of them blew for 'no apparent' reason, I'd question whether or not the others are really good.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,063 Posts
If all your original tires were purchased at the same time and one of them blew for 'no apparent' reason, I'd question whether or not the others are really good.
Not true in NJ....

We have BIG potholes.... LOL

·
Registered
796 Posts
H

++++++++++

That said, you could replace just the one tire and compare it's circumference to the old ones. If it varies more than that allowed, you could get the tire shaved. (A race shop would be able to suggest someone for this service...in racecar classes that use street tires, owners commonly shave new tires to prevent chunking.)
Are you sure about the 2-3% limit? A new tire for my CRV has a diameter of 28.5" and a circumference of 89.5". A new tire has 10/32" of tread. If the tread is completely worn way the diameter would be 27.88" and worn tire circumference 87.57".

So a completely bald tire would have 97.8% of the circumference of a brand new one and would be OK based on the 2-3% you refer to. In other words, Honda's requirement is meaningless as any tread depth on any tire is Ok.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,063 Posts
Yes I'm pretty sure, that was several years ago when it was discussed.

Be aware that different brands (and models from the same mfr) can be a vary more than your numbers. EG not all new tires have the same depth.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Best suggetion...

Do I need to replace all 4 tires at once? 2007 CR-V AWD?[/QUOTE said:
Sounds to me like the best suggestion is to find a shop that shaves tires and have the new tire shaved to the same circumference as the old one opposite it. This should be far less expensive than 3 more tires, and likely better?

Good luck

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I would just replace 2 at a time as long as they are on the same axle, and keep the 3rd as a spare. Any tire shop/dealership will tell you differently to make a sale!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts