Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2017 Honda CR-V EXL. Should I wax it, or does it already have some protection on it? If I should wax it, what kind of wax job should I get?

Thank you so much,
Darrien

·
Registered
600 Posts
I just bought a 2017 Honda CR-V EXL. Should I wax it, or does it already have some protection on it? If I should wax it, what kind of wax job should I get?

Thank you so much,
Darrien
By all means either Wax or put a paint sealant on it now. The cars are transported to the dealer with a protectant on the paint --cosmoline (sp?). The dealer removes it by washing the car and usually they apply a cheap coat of liquid or spray on wax.

Only my Diamond white pearl car the dealer did a very poor job of getting the cosmoline off of the roof, leaving thin black streaks that would have been baked onto the car had I not re cleaned the car thoroughly. Then they would have been much harder to remove later. If you have a darker color car, the cosmoline may not be visible, but dealers don't usually spend a lot of effort to prep the car properly.

Best thing you can do is hand wash the car with a car wash soap and hand dry with microfiber towels. Then your choice is either to apply a paint sealant ( iMHO best products are from Wolfgang or Klasse) if you chose or go straight to a high quality car wax such as Pinnacle Souveran. If you do this and only hand wash and detail the car with Pinnacle Crystal Mist you will be on your way to preserving your paint for the life of your car.

It is much easier to do this before your car gets tar, bugs, etc. from normal driving. All the products I mentioned are available at autogeek.com and they have videos of how to apply them.

·
Registered
600 Posts
IMG_0086.jpg Here is a picture of my brothers 4 year old Black Nismo 370Z that has only been waxed twice a year with Pinnacle Souveran and detailed with Pinnacle Crystal Mist since the day he got it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just bought a new CRV too and have the same question... Ok so Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze is good?

Also can I use that on an old black Prelude with really beat up paint and etched bird poop splotches to protect it? Thanks!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Just bought a new CRV too and have the same question... Ok so Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze is good?

Also can I use that on an old black Prelude with really beat up paint and etched bird poop splotches to protect it? Thanks!
Klasse and Wolfgang make good sealants. Yes, you can use it on an old Black Prelude, but I would do a thorough cleaning including clay barring the paint on the old Prelude before you seal it. This is why I recommend either sealing or waxing your new CR-V soon after purchase before the paint has a chance to be comtaminated road film, tar, bugs, bird poop, etc.

You can read about the Klasse and Wolfgang sealants on autogeek.com. While both are sealants, there is a difference between those two in how you apply and the basic chemical composition.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Everybody is going to have their opinion on what works "best". There is a lot more to proper car washing than a bucket and some soap, and then applying some sealant. You're wasting your time applying sealant without clay barring your car and prepping your paint. Even new vehicles need to be clay barred. A proper wash method is two buckets with grit guards. One with your soap, and one with clean water as your rinse bucket. You need to wash re wash your car or do an IPA wipe down after clay barring to remove any and all oils associated with the clay bar and lube so that the sealant bonds to the paint. Or do it after polishing if you do polish. You can go from clay barring to polishing without rewashing or doing an IPA wipe down. But it does need to be done before applying sealant.

Watch the videos in the link below. A lot of good stuff that is broken down into categories.

http://adamspolishes.com/video

1 - 6 of 6 Posts