Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Driver assistance and active safety technology on my 5-Gen CR-V

• Don’t know what it is, I am not a tech guy or gal

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Use it all the time, how could I drive without it?

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • This is still a gimmick, may be next Gen?

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I should have waited for Tesla Model 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own 2010 CR-V and the only reason considering upgrade is because of driver assistance and active safety tech. But I doubt it worth it (on CR-V and in general), so I carefully look into performance of ACC, LKAS and CMBS during test drives.

Yesterday, I took Accord Sport 1.5L and 18’ CR-V EX for a spin. First of all there is a drastic difference in how much more advanced Accord’s instrumentation and controls are, tiny CR-V toy-like buttons inherited from Civic are so much harder to use and less convenient. Not mentioning instrumentation cluster!, base Accord displays speed limit signs (base Sport model that I tested is same as CR-V EX) and has very nice modern gauges and graphics while CR-V looks as an attempt to make attractive cluster but doe to cost cutting the only get so far only one year out it looks so dated!

But this is not a main problem, the main problem is that ACC simply does not work on CR-V as it is a complete hit and miss compared to Accord. Not a single time CR-V was able to “attach” to a car in front and follow it, it simply did not see car in front and decelerated, I found it also had a tendency to apply brakes with no apparent reason and LKAS was constantly steering left and right. Horrible, horrible performance on CR-V. Question to the forum, does your CR-V’s ACC, CMBS, LKAS perform as expected?

At the same time, I found these systems in new Accord performing very-very well, all is smooth and predictable so much so that I found Accord could practically drive itself in all conditions! Dealer claims that 2018 CR-V and Accord have same technology but seems so that Accord’s is a generation ahead!

·
Super Moderator
2,417 Posts
I use my ACC in about 80% of my driving, and find it to be amazingly accurate. Cant compare with the Accord, as I was not interested in buying a sedan, so never did a test drive in one.

Perhaps you need to take a different CR-V on a test drive?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
There are numerous YouTube videos and posts on this forum that indicate it does work on the CR-V so long as you do not have ice build up or heavy rain. (As stated in the manual).
I do not know what was wrong with the vehicle you tested. In any case I am not a fan of any of these systems, I would rather hold my life in my own two hands than trust it to a computer and sensors. And this is coming from a guy who designs electronic circuit boards for a living.

Rob

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tehere are numerous YouTube videos and posts on this forum that indicate it does work on the CR-V so long as you don not have ice build up or heavy rain.

Rob
Yep, I know, these were washed test drive cars on the perfect sunny Saturday...

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you don't need what the CR-V offers I highly recommend the new Accord or the new Camry. If I was in the market a 2018 Camry V6 would be my pick. The CR-V ACC and lane keeping work, if the car infront take off at high speed the CR-V will not accelerate hard enough to keep the distance and embarrassingly lag behind. There is a minimum speed for lane keeping, I think it is 45 MPH and might be lower for the Accord. The Accord does have a more advanced head unit and depending on trim a nicer interior. ACC is not great for a congested highway with traffic lights, for me it works best on my turnpike/parkway commute. I don't think a normal 10 minute test drive route let you really get a good idea of how well that system operate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
730 Posts
I own both a new CRV and new Accord. I can confirm that LKAS, ACC, CMBS, etc all works similarly on both vehicles. One would not be able to distinguish between the systems on either car. Your test drive vehicle must have been having some kind of an issue, possibly something blocking the camera or radar sensor.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Work fine on my '18 Touring and your CRV test drive experience doesn't match mine.

I also don't really understand the poll given your post. You seem to want to know if the systems work on our CRVs yet the poll seems to have nothing to do with that.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Performance interpretation is all about experience and expectations. These systems have come along way from the 1990's effort but there are still inherent challenges and the end result is a product that isn't always confidence inspiring. One system designs are a temporary, cost effective solution so we probably shouldn't expect too much especially from a first attempt.

Cost sensitive data processing introduces lag and it only gets worse in a laggy small displacement CRV DI turbo engine. The ACC equipped CRV's throttle and brake response are easily a couple of seconds behind a normal human's real time response. That's why braking sometimes feels uncomfortably late/firm when the lead vehicle brakes normally and throttling is frustratingly slow to throttle up when the pack is accelerating normally from a stop. And the over-throttle and over-braking herky-jerkies when the CRV attempts to position-keep with a lead vehicle that isn't driving a constant speed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
If you don't need what the CR-V offers I highly recommend the new Accord or the new Camry. If I was in the market a 2018 Camry V6 would be my pick. The CR-V ACC and lane keeping work, if the car infront take off at high speed the CR-V will not accelerate hard enough to keep the distance and embarrassingly lag behind. There is a minimum speed for lane keeping, I think it is 45 MPH and might be lower for the Accord. The Accord does have a more advanced head unit and depending on trim a nicer interior. ACC is not great for a congested highway with traffic lights, for me it works best on my turnpike/parkway commute. I don't think a normal 10 minute test drive route let you really get a good idea of how well that system operate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks for detailed response, I think that is it, CR-V clearly has ACC that works at higher speeds than Accord, perhaps due to lower power to mass ratio (and CR-V engine seems to struggle all the time) another possibble factor is more rapid acceleration of the car ahead than CR-V can handle that was mentioned in another reply. Is there a thread on owners’ perception of power between 5th Gen and previous Gen with 2.4L. I own 2010 CR-V and generally satisfied with performance, while 5 Gen subjectively seemed heavier for the engine... Given this and recall in China that essentially confirms gasoline oil dilution problem, staying away from 1.5L engines until we see people cloaking 2K miles with no issues (as before) would perhaps be a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
2,417 Posts
It sounds to me like you don't like the CR-V. If that is the case, you should not buy one.

However, in your first post, you stated (among other things that you didn't like) that the ACC simply didn't work. It wouldn't latch on to the car in front...etc. In my experience, that is not the case, as I use it daily, I can set it, it will follow the leading car, regulate the speed based on the follow distance I have set (1 of 4 follow distance settings) even come to a complete stop, then start up and follow again. They call this low speed follow, I believe.

Good luck in your car shopping!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I own 2010 CR-V and the only reason considering upgrade is because of driver assistance and active safety tech. But I doubt it worth it (on CR-V and in general), so I carefully look into performance of ACC, LKAS and CMBS during test drives.

Yesterday, I took Accord Sport 1.5L and 18’ CR-V EX for a spin. First of all there is a drastic difference in how much more advanced Accord’s instrumentation and controls are, tiny CR-V toy-like buttons inherited from Civic are so much harder to use and less convenient. Not mentioning instrumentation cluster!, base Accord displays speed limit signs (base Sport model that I tested is same as CR-V EX) and has very nice modern gauges and graphics while CR-V looks as an attempt to make attractive cluster but doe to cost cutting the only get so far only one year out it looks so dated!

But this is not a main problem, the main problem is that ACC simply does not work on CR-V as it is a complete hit and miss compared to Accord. Not a single time CR-V was able to “attach” to a car in front and follow it, it simply did not see car in front and decelerated, I found it also had a tendency to apply brakes with no apparent reason and LKAS was constantly steering left and right. Horrible, horrible performance on CR-V. Question to the forum, does your CR-V’s ACC, CMBS, LKAS perform as expected?

At the same time, I found these systems in new Accord performing very-very well, all is smooth and predictable so much so that I found Accord could practically drive itself in all conditions! Dealer claims that 2018 CR-V and Accord have same technology but seems so that Accord’s is a generation ahead!
2017 Touring owner here with about 18000 miles- works fine. Only time it will not work is if there is ice/snow build up on the sensors which is fine as you should not be using these anyway.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a 17 CR V EX L and just purchased an 18 Accord for my wife. Both vehicle systems work the same to for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts