Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Way back when Christ was a Corporal - I (and friends) criss-crossed Europe, following the Grand Prix circuit (rooting for Mario A.). We simply slept in the seats of a very tiny Fiat - we were young and cock-strong. As time went on we eventually graduated to small tents and bigger coolers.

Nowadays, with a bride (40+ years), it's a 42' fifth wheel Bighorn - with all its' amenities.

Enjoy your travels, young bucks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 2006 which has a little more headroom I think. I took the back seats out and built a wood frame platform with underneath storage made of 2 boxes with 2 2x4s connecting them. The covered with plywood. It took some time- I jig sawed out a few places on the bottoms to clear the seat brackets/bars, and had to make the boxes slightly different heights to make it level. But- what was easy is the boxes can be held in place with long zip ties to the brackets and small bars on the cargo area. Comes apart easily with a drill. Works if you're short.

Just don't make it too high- or it IS like sleeping in a coffin. I had to lower mine. Not really worth it unless you do a lot of camping. You could always make one small short framed box to level it and slap a peice of plywood back there- it would be a lot easier.

·
Registered
593 Posts
It's a passenger car, it's terrible for camping/napping and I am the biggest proponent.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
A quick search on youtube.com turned up several videos of CR-Vs that have had custom platforms built for the back of the CR-V for use as a bed.

I slept in my 1999 CR-V EX a couple of times, but it's front and rear seats were designed to be folded and combined into a nearly flat "bed".

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's a passenger car, it's terrible for camping/napping and I am the biggest proponent.
I saw this today & wondered who here had tried sleeping in their car. Thanks for replying! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
A quick search on youtube.com turned up several videos of CR-Vs that have had custom platforms built for the back of the CR-V for use as a bed.

I slept in my 1999 CR-V EX a couple of times, but it's front and rear seats were designed to be folded and combined into a nearly flat "bed".
The back of my CRV (2019) seems completely flat. I haven't tried sleeping there. I think a foam mattress might be a good simple option to try.

·
Registered
10 Posts

The back of my CRV (2019) seems completely flat. I haven't tried sleeping there. I think a foam mattress might be a good simple option to try.
There are some companies that make air mattresses to fit in the back of SUVs with the rear seats folded down.
I've never liked air mattresses, that's why I thought the foam might be better.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Oh yeah, air matresses sound great in theory but are weirdly unnatural to sleep on, especially in a car.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Air mattresses can be deflated, folded, and stowed away so you can use the area inside the CR-V for other purposes. Foam mattresses aren't as easily stored away.

·
Registered
593 Posts
For me quality of sleep is more important than storage space. Sleeping in a car is a bothersome endeavour anyway. High performance camping mats do not take up that much space. I also grab my Ostrich pillow whenever there’s sleeping in the car to be expected, even if not camping.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts