Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done something to where your heart sinks deep into your stomach? That happened to me yesterday. It's odd really, because in all the years I owned an old Camry wagon, nothing happened to it, but as soon as you get a brand new vehicle, things, or in this case, stupid things happen.

I had my new CR-V parked in the carport. Yesterday morning, I decided to take my old no-defrost freezer out to the front of the driveway in the sun to defrost it. I thought, no problem, lots of room to get it out the door and down the driveway. Normally one could manage that without issue, but then again, we are dealing with a clumsy bonehead. Instead of moving the car, I decided to leave it where it is. Everything was going well, but with a lack of skill, I sort of lost control and bang, the bloody freezer makes contact with the driver's side rear door. I hope the neighbors were all inside, because I came out with a few choice colorful metaphors. I'm standing their dumbfounded, angry with my heart down in my gut. The old $hit box that I had owned, I do nothing too, but now that I have a brand new vehicle . . .

It's minor damage, but still, it's upsetting all the same. So now I have to come up with some serious $$ to get it properly sorted, or come up with some way to make it look decent without having a body shop repaint the whole door. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet in these difficult financial times and get it done. Any suggestions car buffs?

IMG_5305.JPG

Now you personally know a bonafide bonehead. 馃檮

Registered
Crap happens.
My CRV ended up with a small dent and a paint chip from road debris when I was driving it home after purchasing it new. Luckily it is on the driver's side, so I get to look at it every time I get in the vehicle.

At least you didn't hook up the jumper cables backwards and fry every fuse like a recent post on this forum.

Registered
To Bandit400, when bought our '17 new CRV, this is the wife new car, I took over her aging Forester. At the dealership, after they walked through the new car with the 4 of us (wife and kids), wife gave me the keys and said you drive home since you will not be driving it often. Great! I was about halfway home when I round a corner and see the sing "Fresh Tar and Stone Chipping next 2 miles". Car had about 30 miles on it, now, fresh tar and stone chips on the underside. I pissed off a couple cars behind me as I crawled along that road. Fortunately no damage and I hosed it good when I got home.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Crap happens.
My CRV ended up with a small dent and a paint chip from road debris when I was driving it home after purchasing it new. Luckily it is on the driver's side, so I get to look at it every time I get in the vehicle.

At least you didn't hook up the jumper cables backwards and fry every fuse like a recent post on this forum.
Ouch!

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
To Bandit400, when bought our '17 new CRV, this is the wife new car, I took over her aging Forester. At the dealership, after they walked through the new car with the 4 of us (wife and kids), wife gave me the keys and said you drive home since you will not be driving it often. Great! I was about halfway home when I round a corner and see the sing "Fresh Tar and Stone Chipping next 2 miles". Car had about 30 miles on it, now, fresh tar and stone chips on the underside. I pissed off a couple cars behind me as I crawled along that road. Fortunately no damage and I hosed it good when I got home.
Only on new vehicles does this happen. Frustrating isn't it.

Registered
It was one of those "coulda, shoulda, woulda" moments. The ego is the most easily bruised part of the body. No suggestions, just empathy, because we've all done stuff like this. Try to learn from it (I usually don't) and move on.

Registered
I got two stories but. its history. Maybe a lil buffing out the cosmetics first, then if filler is needed a detail shop. if its just paint add, they never work perfect but here i demo a dent remover, failure, and paint pen , no rust.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
I got two stories but. its history. Maybe a lil buffing out the cosmetics first, then if filler is needed a detail shop. if its just paint add, they never work perfect but here i demo a dent remover, failure, and paint pen , no rust.

Thank you for those videos. Later i will relax back and watch them. Cheers!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
what a bonehead...what were you thinking... and it's white plat pearl color...
:eek:
I know, what a bonehead is right. What was I thinking? I haven't a clue, but I can tell you what I was thinking after the fact . . . @#%$#@&#**

Registered
Well.. you did provide pictures.. so we know for sure it happened. :)

Pretty sure you will need to get in line at the bonehead department though. Most of us have "been there, done that" in some form or another. :p

But cheer up.... it is both repairable AND I am sure has taught you a lesson (through pain) to always clear your vehicles away from where you are fooling around with moving things.

Now.. you also have a chance to learn from my mistake many years ago.. I was pulling a carton down out of storage in my garage and an adjacent carton slid out and dropped on my gen2 CRV hood... and put a nice ding on it, because of course the carton that dropped could not drop flat bottom on the hood... NO.. it had to tumble and hit the hood with a sharp pointed corner. o_O lesson learned --> ALWAYS move the vehicles out of the garage before loading or unloading anything stored up on shelves. And.. since I live in earthquake country... I also have added long bungee cords across the front of items on shelves and anchored to eye hooks in the walls.

Registered
My 2018 Ridgeline RTLE was less than 1 year old when a guy raged at me for blocking his path when exiting a grocery store parking lot. He kicked the right front fender with his waffle stomper boot. When I say he raged, I mean he was screaming like a mad man (no exxageration). The woman whom I did see on the other side of the entrance and was trying to avoid at the same time, gave me her name as a witness. What happened is I had a setting sun in my eyes and pedestrian and car traffic to deal with and I didn't see him. He never set off my pedestrian alarm, so he was no closer than 3 feet, but he did have to pull back his two dogs. The cop said I was smart to stay in my truck. The cop said nothing ever turns out well when drivers get out of their vehicles in those situations. Anyway, it cost $350 for a paintless dent repair to fix it. It looks great now (hard to believe), just like it never happened, but boy the experience was awful. Things like this never happen to old cars and trucks that I have owned. I have driven for over 30 years without an accident of any kind. My 8 year old Tacoma was in mint condition when I traded it in.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 82 Posts