Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
My 2018 Ridgeline RTLE was less than 1 year old when a guy raged at me for blocking his path when exiting a grocery store parking lot. He kicked the right front fender with his waffle stomper boot. When I say he raged, I mean he was screaming like a mad man (no exxageration). The woman whom I did see on the other side of the entrance and was trying to avoid at the same time, gave me her name as a witness. What happened is I had a setting sun in my eyes and pedestrian and car traffic to deal with and I didn't see him. He never set off my pedestrian alarm, so he was no closer than 3 feet, but he did have to pull back his two dogs. The cop said I was smart to stay in my truck. The cop said nothing ever turns out well when drivers get out of their vehicles in those situations. Anyway, it cost $350 for a paintless dent repair to fix it. It looks great now (hard to believe), just like it never happened, but boy the experience was awful. Things like this never happen to old cars and trucks that I have owned. I have driven for over 30 years without an accident of any kind. My 8 year old Tacoma was in mint condition when I traded it in.
Wow! If that happened to me, I think my heart would have stopped. I hate any kind of confrontation. I'm glad you used your loaf (head) by staying in the car. A physical engagement of that kind never turns out well. Isn't it so true about driving an old car, but as soon as a new one comes along, the problems seem to happen. Cheers.

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
Well.. you did provide pictures.. so we know for sure it happened. :)

Pretty sure you will need to get in line at the bonehead department though. Most of us have "been there, done that" in some form or another. :p

But cheer up.... it is both repairable AND I am sure has taught you a lesson (through pain) to always clear your vehicles away from where you are fooling around with moving things.

Now.. you also have a chance to learn from my mistake many years ago.. I was pulling a carton down out of storage in my garage and an adjacent carton slid out and dropped on my gen2 CRV hood... and put a nice ding on it, because of course the carton that dropped could not drop flat bottom on the hood... NO.. it had to tumble and hit the hood with a sharp pointed corner. o_O lesson learned --> ALWAYS move the vehicles out of the garage before loading or unloading anything stored up on shelves. And.. since I live in earthquake country... I also have added long bungee cords across the front of items on shelves and anchored to eye hooks in the walls.
Ouch 馃槻, that was a bad one. It seems that this sort of thing happens a lot to people. When I park in a parking lot, I try to get an end spot or one far enough away that I feel I won't, or might not, get someone parking next to me. Besides, the walk will do me good, so I try to convince myself. But, much to my precautions and concerns, I end up being the culprit damaging one of the very doors I so try to protect in public. Yes, you are sooo right. Lesson learned, and it was a painful one. Thank you for sharing. It makes me feel a little better knowing I'm not the only bonehead. 馃槈

Registered
A couple of years ago, I had just bought my brand new 18 Pilot EX-L. I was so happy that it fit in the small garage of rental I had before I bought my current home. I had to get groceries out of the back. I hit the fob to open the back and before I know it, the hatch slams into the top of the garage door. I had the car about 4 hours and already have a scratch. That is when I knew that I should have read the manual to learn how to override the powered tailgate and open it manually. Don't feel bad OP, sometimes we do dumb things......

Registered
2020 Honda CR-V EX AWD
Has anyone done something to where your heart sinks deep into your stomach? That happened to me yesterday. It's odd really, because in all the years I owned an old Camry wagon, nothing happened to it, but as soon as you get a brand new vehicle, things, or in this case, stupid things happen.

I had my new CR-V parked in the carport. Yesterday morning, I decided to take my old no-defrost freezer out to the front of the driveway in the sun to defrost it. I thought, no problem, lots of room to get it out the door and down the driveway. Normally one could manage that without issue, but then again, we are dealing with a clumsy bonehead. Instead of moving the car, I decided to leave it where it is. Everything was going well, but with a lack of skill, I sort of lost control and bang, the bloody freezer makes contact with the driver's side rear door. I hope the neighbors were all inside, because I came out with a few choice colorful metaphors. I'm standing their dumbfounded, angry with my heart down in my gut. The old $hit box that I had owned, I do nothing too, but now that I have a brand new vehicle . . .

It's minor damage, but still, it's upsetting all the same. So now I have to come up with some serious $$ to get it properly sorted, or come up with some way to make it look decent without having a body shop repaint the whole door. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet in these difficult financial times and get it done. Any suggestions car buffs?

View attachment 138534

View attachment 138535

Now you personally know a bonafide bonehead. 馃檮
Brother, I鈥檝e been there as recently as two months ago.

Bought my brand new CR-V a few months ago. As we鈥檙e waiting on the finance manager to finish a few things up, the salesman drives the car over that I鈥檒l be taking home and parks it in between two big columns with a few feet on either side to spare. When the finance manager finished up, they handed me the keys and when I went to put my jacket through the back drivers side door, opened the door further than I should have and made contact with one of the columns. Felt like the biggest idiot in the world. Thank god for the door edge guards there鈥檚 only a mark about 2 millimeters big.

Registered
Cute perspective on the part of my wife to share here also:

Her perspective is she prefers to get some dent or ding early on when she has a new vehicle. Reason: that way.. she no longer has to worry about her vehicle being pristine ... and then just treats it like every other vehicle she has ever owned. Basically... dent early and then move on and never look back. :p

And I like to tease her about it as I encourage her to park away from other vehicles because many owners are just like her and are not careful about avoiding dinging other peoples cars. So when she got her new Accord a couple years ago.. I asked if she wanted me to go out to the garage and "work it over with a hammer".... or just wait for me to drop a box on the hood when rummaging in the garage in the future. :ROFLMAO:

AND.... I have long ago given up trying to coach her to NOT user her tires as "curb feelers" ..... and I refuse to sand, polish and buff out scratches on her wheels anymore. :)

Registered
At least you got the fridge out of the house without incident. Hauling a fridge down the first of three steps, it popped up and nearly hit my jaw. I strapped the fridge in the back of my Pilot, tied the hatch down and headed to the dump. At highway speed, the air flowed into the half open hatch and blew 30 years of dust through the cabin. Bonehead X2?

Registered
I'm gong to take a guess and say that most of the black will come off with a good polish. The dent -- small enough that no one but you will know it is there. Personally I would buff it out and call it good but that's me. Consider the car broken in now and sit back and enjoy it.

'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
Any suggestions? Yes. Next time, just drag the freezer into the living room. It will defrost there as well as anywhere. If you must take it outside, jack the car up first, high enough that you can pull the freezer under it and out the other side. Problem solved! :)

Registered
Has anyone done something to where your heart sinks deep into your stomach? That happened to me yesterday. It's odd really, because in all the years I owned an old Camry wagon, nothing happened to it, but as soon as you get a brand new vehicle, things, or in this case, stupid things happen.

I had my new CR-V parked in the carport. Yesterday morning, I decided to take my old no-defrost freezer out to the front of the driveway in the sun to defrost it. I thought, no problem, lots of room to get it out the door and down the driveway. Normally one could manage that without issue, but then again, we are dealing with a clumsy bonehead. Instead of moving the car, I decided to leave it where it is. Everything was going well, but with a lack of skill, I sort of lost control and bang, the bloody freezer makes contact with the driver's side rear door. I hope the neighbors were all inside, because I came out with a few choice colorful metaphors. I'm standing their dumbfounded, angry with my heart down in my gut. The old $hit box that I had owned, I do nothing too, but now that I have a brand new vehicle . . .

It's minor damage, but still, it's upsetting all the same. So now I have to come up with some serious $$ to get it properly sorted, or come up with some way to make it look decent without having a body shop repaint the whole door. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet in these difficult financial times and get it done. Any suggestions car buffs?

View attachment 138534

View attachment 138535

A good body shop can easily make that so that you will never know anything happened it will all just be a badd dream. And they definitely do not have to paint the whole door

Registered
To Bandit400, when bought our '17 new CRV, this is the wife new car, I took over her aging Forester. At the dealership, after they walked through the new car with the 4 of us (wife and kids), wife gave me the keys and said you drive home since you will not be driving it often. Great! I was about halfway home when I round a corner and see the sing "Fresh Tar and Stone Chipping next 2 miles". Car had about 30 miles on it, now, fresh tar and stone chips on the underside. I pissed off a couple cars behind me as I crawled along that road. Fortunately no damage and I hosed it good when I got home.
Ha! I鈥檓 reading this and think 鈥渢his guy must be from PA.鈥 Sure enough!

Registered

View attachment 138534

View attachment 138535

It is something that I would probably do. Welcome to the 鈥渂onehead鈥 club.

Registered
[/QUOTE]

You are going to have to stand in line when it comes to being a member of the bonehead club. I bought my 2005 Honda Pilot in July of 2005. My first big trip was in early August. I packed up the car on a beautiful hot evening putting the bikes on the roof rack. At 9 PM the sun was just beginning to set, I was tired. Everything was done. I dragged myself into the Pilot and drove it into the garage. I heard this ungodly noise as the bikes hit the siding above the opening to the garage. It took me a couple of seconds to realize what I had done. I destroyed one of the bikes. But, what made me so mad I couldn't speak for the next 24 hours was the huge dent in the roof. It is still there 242,000 miles and 15 years later.

Registered

View attachment 138534

View attachment 138535

Well, don't beat yourself up - if you have a wife, she has probably done that! I am in a similar club. Got a new 2017 CRV in August 2017. 3 times I have tried to close the garage door while I still have the rear hatch up! Never did it once with my 1999 CRV. Will cost at least $1500 to get it fixed, but why bother? I will probably do it again once it is fixed!

Registered

View attachment 138534

View attachment 138535

oooh, i feel for you! i was parking facing down on a steep hill, didn't want to roll and hit the car below me, gunned CRV in reverse and hit a phone pole, putting a sizable smoosh on the trunk door. anyway, have you tried using a Magic Eraser? it won't fix scratches, but might remove some of the smudges (until you bite the bullet and get the door painted). be gentle, it is abrasive.

Registered

View attachment 138534

View attachment 138535

You are not alone. I absentmindedly closed the garage door when my tailgate was raised. I now have the first scratches on my new car.....

Registered
Well, don't beat yourself up - if you have a wife, she has probably done that! I am in a similar club. Got a new 2017 CRV in August 2017. 3 times I have tried to close the garage door while I still have the rear hatch up! Never did it once with my 1999 CRV. Will cost at least $1500 to get it fixed, but why bother? I will probably do it again once it is fixed!
I just did this in the last two weeks. Twice. Stupid! First scratches on my new car. It's force of habit to close the garage door as I go in the house - but since the corona stuff, I've been putting groceries in the back instead of the passenger side.....

Registered
2018 CR-V, 1.5T, Touring, AWD, Basque Red Pearl II / Gray

View attachment 138534

View attachment 138535

The problem with being a bonehead is it continues for a great deal of your life. One of my worst ones - I had a fairly new 2009 Nissan Murano. Parked in the garage doing interior cleaning, hatch open. Yep, you guessed it. I got sidetracked and decided that I needed to move it to the driveway. Hopped in, and started backing out. When the wiper on the hatch caught the garage door the first of many bad noises occurred. I was unable to stop quickly enough and the hatch window shattered. Needless to say very expensive and humbling explaining to my insurance company. It needed glass, wiper motor, and paint. So as others have said, Welcome to the club. Good luck with whatever repair you decide to undertake.

Registered
Don't feel bad---happens to all of us at one time or the other--have had our 2018 Touring scratch and dent free for almost 2 years now--but just the other day I pulled into a parking spot that snagged something on my front bumper...and rather than get out and see what was catching I kept backing and found out later I now have a gouge or deep scratch into the plastic bumper--not too bad about the size of a quarter--but maddening non the less. Will probably live with it until I do something REALLY dumb...and with me that's inevitable LOL!!

Registered

View attachment 138534

View attachment 138535

Hey, sorry to hear that, my fellow bass man! (I play bass, too!...Have toured for many years, but that's another convo we can have another time...) Until you can get the dented part out professionally, I highly recommend getting the stuff I swear by called "Scratch Out". Comes in a yellow, plastic bottle at either a local auto parts store, possibly Walmart, Target, or on Amazon. Then, get one of those soft, spongy, terrycloth applicator pads, or a clean soft cotton cloth to apply it with. Clean the scratches areas with soap and water & dry it off well. Shake the bottle well, and apply about a 1/2 dollar coin size or so amount to the cloth, and start working it in to those dark scraped areas & scratches in small circular motions. Don't be afraid to put a little bit of scrubbing force into in...not real heavy muscle, but some. You might find that some of it comes off with little effort, and some areas you might need to do these steps several times. Go over one area at a time, and give it a couple minutes to dry. Then buff each area in a circular motion with a clean, dry, cotton cloth, applicator, or even a microfiber cloth. Just be sure there's nothing imbedded in the cloth that can possibly scratch the finish. This stuff works pretty well, and you might see afterwards that the damage doesn't look too bad after all. Good luck! Keep on groovin' & stay safe!

21 - 40 of 82 Posts