Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

Registered
Has anyone done something to where your heart sinks deep into your stomach? That happened to me yesterday. It's odd really, because in all the years I owned an old Camry wagon, nothing happened to it, but as soon as you get a brand new vehicle, things, or in this case, stupid things happen.

I had my new CR-V parked in the carport. Yesterday morning, I decided to take my old no-defrost freezer out to the front of the driveway in the sun to defrost it. I thought, no problem, lots of room to get it out the door and down the driveway. Normally one could manage that without issue, but then again, we are dealing with a clumsy bonehead. Instead of moving the car, I decided to leave it where it is. Everything was going well, but with a lack of skill, I sort of lost control and bang, the bloody freezer makes contact with the driver's side rear door. I hope the neighbors were all inside, because I came out with a few choice colorful metaphors. I'm standing their dumbfounded, angry with my heart down in my gut. The old $hit box that I had owned, I do nothing too, but now that I have a brand new vehicle . . .

It's minor damage, but still, it's upsetting all the same. So now I have to come up with some serious $$ to get it properly sorted, or come up with some way to make it look decent without having a body shop repaint the whole door. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet in these difficult financial times and get it done. Any suggestions car buffs?

View attachment 138534

View attachment 138535

Now you personally know a bonafide bonehead. 馃檮
One more thing...Do NOT get the "Scratch Out" stuff on any of the black, plastic trim! It WILL turn it white permanently!

Registered
So 9 days after picking up my '17 CRV in Molten Lava Pearl I go to the dentist. I decide to park in an end spot with a wall adjacent to the side of it. I pull forward and start backing parallel to the wall looking out the rear window (my wife had been bitching about all the technology so I was doing it old school). The stone wall was about hip high. As I am slowly backing I suddenly hear crunching and hit the brake and put it in drive. Well that wall I was parallel to decided to jut out and since I wasn't looking at the rear camera. New gate and repair of the left rear quarter panel. $3800! 9 friggin days old. The dental tech even came out to look at it. And I managed to crack the wall. I don't park there anymore!!

Registered
Has anyone done something to where your heart sinks deep into your stomach? That happened to me yesterday. It's odd really, because in all the years I owned an old Camry wagon, nothing happened to it, but as soon as you get a brand new vehicle, things, or in this case, stupid things happen.

I had my new CR-V parked in the carport. Yesterday morning, I decided to take my old no-defrost freezer out to the front of the driveway in the sun to defrost it. I thought, no problem, lots of room to get it out the door and down the driveway. Normally one could manage that without issue, but then again, we are dealing with a clumsy bonehead. Instead of moving the car, I decided to leave it where it is. Everything was going well, but with a lack of skill, I sort of lost control and bang, the bloody freezer makes contact with the driver's side rear door. I hope the neighbors were all inside, because I came out with a few choice colorful metaphors. I'm standing their dumbfounded, angry with my heart down in my gut. The old $hit box that I had owned, I do nothing too, but now that I have a brand new vehicle . . .

It's minor damage, but still, it's upsetting all the same. So now I have to come up with some serious $$ to get it properly sorted, or come up with some way to make it look decent without having a body shop repaint the whole door. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet in these difficult financial times and get it done. Any suggestions car buffs?

View attachment 138534

View attachment 138535

For sure!
I feel for you and unfortunately, things like this happen in life. I know, they are not fair. You may want to claim it on your insurance as comprehensive damage. You came out to your car in a parking lot and saw the damage.......beach area, store/mall lot, street side parking, etc. All you should have to pay is your deductible. Mine has always been a $250 deductible.... a small price to pay for some major damage.
Again, I'm sorry for your issue.......and more so on a beautiful new car. Good luck!

Registered
It could have been worse. We have all been there. That quiet little voice that says this is not going to be good, something is just not right, don't do it. We simply rationalize away the warnings of that quiet little voice & then BOOM! We have to learn to trust that quiet little voice!!!

Registered

Don't feel too bad; I'm a 44+ year tech and in my early years I was installing a performance intake on my '71 Mach 1 and while screwing in the temp sender into the manifold, I was just about ready to stop tightening and then "tick" sound. Yep, I just cracked the boss around the sending unit. The "sick nauseated feeling" suddenly appeared in my stomach as I realized what just happened. No way to repair the crack on the aluminum manifold so had to buy a new one. Glad to say I haven't done that kind of "bonehead" thing in decades.

Registered

View attachment 138534

View attachment 138535

The dark parts may just be paint transfer from the freezer. See if you have any paintless dent repair shops near for an estimate or guidance.

Registered

View attachment 138534

View attachment 138535

I had my Car washed by a minority Church group and a total idiot with a pressure washer wand was doing a authentic jungle dance when fire ants crawled into his shorts, and he hit and scratched my rear glass and door paint. I assume he thought we would think he mastered the art of the Ninja Break Dancer or something. For the first time in my life, I understood that I was capable of taking a life.

But I learned a valuable lesson, right? Oh hell no. I saw a group of adult U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer selectees having a fund raiser at Advance Auto Parts and being retired Navy myself, I fell for it. I got in a line to get the CR-V washed, and a Selectee said, you don't have to wait in the car Sir, have a free hot dog or hamburger off the grill and we will advance the car for you. It's an automatic transmission, what could possibly go wrong, even Popeye junior could drive this thing.

I paid (and tipped for pity sake) and got back to a car that was clean on the outside. On the inside, you could see where some fool (at least as dumb as I am) got into my car with a lit cigarette, hit the lit end on the steering wheel and allowed ashes to burn seven black spots in my seat.

Did I learn anything yet, you ask? Six weeks later, I pulled into a gas station having a grand opening commotion and started pumping my own gas when I caught a little old lady approaching my car with a windshield squeegee thing on a long handle. I focused one eye on her like laser targeting. When it became evident she was going to touch my car, I started screaming, Get away from my car, Are you crazy? I'm sure she thought I was. If you see my car in a parking lot, don't even think about it.

Registered

View attachment 138534

View attachment 138535

Buddy, I know how you feel. And, if I were you, I would take it to the nearest body repair and get it fixed properly. You will be sickened everytime you look at it. Trust me, this will be the best money you ever spent. Good luck.

Registered
Had a good experience with the companies that push out the dents from the back side with a gizmo that looks like a small metal cane. They did a marvelous job with pushing out hail damage. Used some fine grit polishing compound on the dark spots and it looked almost like new. It was a 1/3rd the cost of going to a body shop.

Registered

View attachment 138534

View attachment 138535

Not the only one, but my fave heart-sinker: New Mercedes 4.5 all-leather SUV with sunroof on first longer distance trip to join pals from youth in sunny South. Rushing to meet up, hands full, including tall icy fresh fruit drink for the road. Absent-mindedly set drink glass on roof to free hands for storing gear. Alas, no roof there -- sunroof was open, drink obeys Law of Gravity. And much of front interior of fancy new car christened with 16 ounces of sticky fruity stuff. Truth is, I approve of minor early damage to new stuff. No further need for over-protective anxiety.

Registered
your not alone
I have done so many stupid things over years I have lost count
I have a bonehead story too! I put a ski rack on my 2018 crv using the factory cross members and a Tule ski rack. Well, you have to be sure that the rear ski binding goes IN FRONT of the rear rack, NOT BEHIND IT! I got ready to leave after skiing and forgot the above and put the skis on with the rear binding behind the rear rack. Then i pushed the rear door lift button and watched in horror as it raised, and ripped the wind spoiler mostly off the car! I too used some choice words. Fortunately there is a small body shop on my way home and they taped it up and ordered parts and next ski trip i stopped and they fixed it!! The wife didn't say much.

Registered
I left my patio umbrella loose on the bottom yesterday, I though it would spin and not lift up for some reason, (it had a long way to lift out) well, it lifted out and blew away and broke.

Always fasten it to the weight that comes with it. I felt stupid.live and learn.

Registered
Discussion Starter #55
Well, don't beat yourself up - if you have a wife, she has probably done that! I am in a similar club. Got a new 2017 CRV in August 2017. 3 times I have tried to close the garage door while I still have the rear hatch up! Never did it once with my 1999 CRV. Will cost at least $1500 to get it fixed, but why bother? I will probably do it again once it is fixed!
Now that's a bad one. Doesn't stuff like this just p__s you off.

Registered
Discussion Starter #56
Hey, sorry to hear that, my fellow bass man! (I play bass, too!...Have toured for many years, but that's another convo we can have another time...) Until you can get the dented part out professionally, I highly recommend getting the stuff I swear by called "Scratch Out". Comes in a yellow, plastic bottle at either a local auto parts store, possibly Walmart, Target, or on Amazon. Then, get one of those soft, spongy, terrycloth applicator pads, or a clean soft cotton cloth to apply it with. Clean the scratches areas with soap and water & dry it off well. Shake the bottle well, and apply about a 1/2 dollar coin size or so amount to the cloth, and start working it in to those dark scraped areas & scratches in small circular motions. Don't be afraid to put a little bit of scrubbing force into in...not real heavy muscle, but some. You might find that some of it comes off with little effort, and some areas you might need to do these steps several times. Go over one area at a time, and give it a couple minutes to dry. Then buff each area in a circular motion with a clean, dry, cotton cloth, applicator, or even a microfiber cloth. Just be sure there's nothing imbedded in the cloth that can possibly scratch the finish. This stuff works pretty well, and you might see afterwards that the damage doesn't look too bad after all. Good luck! Keep on groovin' & stay safe!
I've heard of them. I will look for one. problem is, the scratches are far to wide to correct with the cloth. Well, playing the bass does kinda take my mind off things.

Registered
Discussion Starter #57
So 9 days after picking up my '17 CRV in Molten Lava Pearl I go to the dentist. I decide to park in an end spot with a wall adjacent to the side of it. I pull forward and start backing parallel to the wall looking out the rear window (my wife had been bitching about all the technology so I was doing it old school). The stone wall was about hip high. As I am slowly backing I suddenly hear crunching and hit the brake and put it in drive. Well that wall I was parallel to decided to jut out and since I wasn't looking at the rear camera. New gate and repair of the left rear quarter panel. $3800! 9 friggin days old. The dental tech even came out to look at it. And I managed to crack the wall. I don't park there anymore!!
Good grief, $3800? Man, I feel for ya. I think I would have been taken the hospital wit a heart attack.

Registered
Discussion Starter #58
After reading all of these horror stories from those of you with new cars and making bonehead mistakes, I find that there is a moral to the stories somewhere. But the only thing that comes to mind is, sell the new car and get an old beat up clunker. Guaranteed to have absolutely nothing happen to it. Yep, I drove an old Toyota Camry wagon for 8 years. Not a bloody thing happened to it.

Registered
I know it will hurt, but especially since it is a new car, have a body shop fix it the right way. Don't be surprised at how much it will cost, though. However, you should only be on the hook for the deductible on your policy.

My bonehead move was a few years ago. I closed the garage door while I had the hatch on my 2012 Pilot open. That did make me feel like a bonehead. The total for that repair was only $812.98. I only had to pay $300 of my $500 deductible as I hadn't had a claim for a a while. That was in 2014. Maybe I'll get another discount on my deductible for my pending repair.

Yesterday I was backing out of a parking spot in a parking lot as a woman behind me in a Lexus was doing the same. My right rear corner met her left rear corner. I was looking very carefully to see if any cars were coming down the aisle and I never saw her. She said she never saw me either. When I stopped at the body shop on the way home from there for an estimate, I asked about a small spot just under the window on the passenger side. I had stepped in a hole in the ground when visiting friends with my keys in my left hand and I put my left arm out to be able to use the car to keep me from falling down. It did, but the keys put a small scratch in the door. I used the Honda touch-up paint on it, but it is rather obvious.

So, I asked the body shop guy what they would charge to fix it. He informed me they'd take all the trim off the door and repaint the entire door. I told him it wasn't that important to fix it. :)

The insurance companies are doing a 50/50 on the claims. The other driver's company will pay 50% of my claim while my insurance company will pay 50% of hers. My estimate was $1,957.01, but when a guy from my insurance company called today to follow up, he said the amount is about $1,800. The damage doesn't look terrible, but it is noticeable. So, I'll be just have to pay the deductible.

The body shop I use is the oldest and best one in our town. It is on my insurance company's (The Hartford) list of approved shops and all body repairs are guaranteed by The Hartford for as long as the owner owns the vehicle. The Hartford will let one take their car to any body shop they want, but the ones on their approved list all carry the lifetime warranty for repairs.

Registered
After reading all the boneheaded antics you guys have pulled, There must be a lesson in there somewhere. A lesson that will keep me from ever making another mistake. I have no idea where it is, but it must be in there somewhere. Have a nice day knowing you have company.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts