Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

Registered
After reading all the boneheaded antics you guys have pulled, There must be a lesson in there somewhere. A lesson that will keep me from ever making another mistake. I have no idea where it is, but it must be in there somewhere. Have a nice day knowing you have company.
Hehe.. maybe some big pharma company will add yet another marginally useful prescription medication to their suite of marginally useful medications ---> a pill to prevent symptoms (and effects) of being a bonehead. 馃挕 :p

Dont' get me started on a list of nasty side effects it will have though... or the cost of a new medicine under patent. I have a very vivid imagination, and it will not end well if I start rolling off a long and weird symptoms list. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Registered
The bonehead move of closing the garage door while tailgate remains open seems to be one of the more common ones from reading the posts here.

I ALMOST did that one time, but as I always look back to make sure the garage door is clear (as I hit the close button) I spotted the open tailgate and immediately hit the button to reverse the garage door. No harm, no foul... but close call.

Now days... to prevent a habit driven bonehead mistake like this.. I have added the habit of always leaving my CRVs engine running with the vehicle in park when unloading the cargo area when parked in my garage. This way.. the habit has been established that the last action I make before hitting the garage door button is...... turn off the vehicle, get out of the vehicle, close the vehicle door. So far it has worked well in never having another bonehead move in this category. :)

That said.. currently, with shelter in place in action, my last action is to connect my NOCO charger, through an SAE port I added, to my battery... as I only drive once every 7-10 days right now, and it is short trips for groceries. So.. I suggest others be alert to the very real possibility of "boneheading" your battery into death due to short infrequent trips and normal discharge parasitics of a gen5 CRV. Keep tabs on your battery, and I encourge you to make liberal use of one of the many available smart battery chargers/maintainers. This is true for all modern vehicles in my view.. not just gen5 CRVs.

Registered
Has anyone done something to where your heart sinks deep into your stomach? That happened to me yesterday. It's odd really, because in all the years I owned an old Camry wagon, nothing happened to it, but as soon as you get a brand new vehicle, things, or in this case, stupid things happen.

I had my new CR-V parked in the carport. Yesterday morning, I decided to take my old no-defrost freezer out to the front of the driveway in the sun to defrost it. I thought, no problem, lots of room to get it out the door and down the driveway. Normally one could manage that without issue, but then again, we are dealing with a clumsy bonehead. Instead of moving the car, I decided to leave it where it is. Everything was going well, but with a lack of skill, I sort of lost control and bang, the bloody freezer makes contact with the driver's side rear door. I hope the neighbors were all inside, because I came out with a few choice colorful metaphors. I'm standing their dumbfounded, angry with my heart down in my gut. The old $hit box that I had owned, I do nothing too, but now that I have a brand new vehicle . . .

It's minor damage, but still, it's upsetting all the same. So now I have to come up with some serious $$ to get it properly sorted, or come up with some way to make it look decent without having a body shop repaint the whole door. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet in these difficult financial times and get it done. Any suggestions car buffs?

View attachment 138534

View attachment 138535

Now you personally know a bonafide bonehead. 馃檮
But what we all want to know is, is the freezer ok?

That said.. currently, with shelter in place in action, my last action is to connect my NOCO charger, through an SAE port I added, to my battery... as I only drive once every 7-10 days right now, and it is short trips for groceries. So.. I suggest others be alert to the very real possibility of "boneheading" your battery into death due to short infrequent trips and normal discharge parasitics of a gen5 CRV. Keep tabs on your battery, and I encourge you to make liberal use of one of the many available smart battery chargers/maintainers. This is true for all modern vehicles in my view.. not just gen5 CRVs.
I have that exact thing happening right now. My 15-month-old baby 51R battery was already winding down, and with the current situation finally bit it. So, I've finally got all the bits here and getting started this morning:

1. 2014 Odyssey Battery Tray
2. 2014 Odyssey Battery Box
3. 2014 Odyssey J-Bolts & Nuts (8 mm longer)
4. 2014 Odyssey Battery Hold-Down (wider)
5. AutoZone DuraLast Platinum Group 24F AGM Battery
6. NoCo Genius 5 Smart Battery Tender

Will have pictures and a story when it's done.

Registered
Discussion Starter #66
After reading all the boneheaded antics you guys have pulled, There must be a lesson in there somewhere. A lesson that will keep me from ever making another mistake. I have no idea where it is, but it must be in there somewhere. Have a nice day knowing you have company.
Lesson? Don't buy a bloody new car. Get a clonker and you will NEVER have this kind of issue. I know, I had a clonker for 8 years and NEVER had an accident, not even the smallest scratch. New car, 3 weeks, two scratches because I'm a clumsy bonehead. 馃檮馃槀

I wouldn't bet on that system. Last year, when I got my truly pristine '07, on my very first trip in it I went to the grocery store, where someone promptly broke my driver's side outside mirror housing. Less than 5 days into the new ride. I was not a happy camper.

Registered
Discussion Starter #68
I wouldn't bet on that system. Last year, when I got my truly pristine '07, on my very first trip in it I went to the grocery store, where someone promptly broke my driver's side outside mirror housing. Less than 5 days into the new ride. I was not a happy camper.
I wouldn't be either. I don't understand what it is about new cars and damage done to it shortly after purchase. This is my first new care in over 15 years. In all that time I have only purchased used cars, and, of course, nothing happened to any of them, but as soon as I purchase a new car, damage after a few weeks ownership.

Registered
Discussion Starter #69
Folks, I'm finding the replies to this discussion I started, very interesting. I appreciate everyone's stories. It seems to be a sort of phenomenon where people suffer either small or large damage to their new vehicles shortly after purchase. I'm sorry for all of those who have experienced this, like me, but it sure provides interesting reading. Again, thank you for your replies. If anything, your stories make it easier for others to accept and understand this misunderstood phenomenon, if one can call it that. Cheers everyone!

Registered
Don't feel too bad. My 2017 black AWD touring has never seen anything but a hand two bucket wash, Adam's Polishes paint sealant, says in the garage, and is detailed on a regular basis. Late last year my wife wanted some outdoor furniture cushions from the garage and instead of pulling the CRV out I pulled down the cushions from the storage rack only to discover that I put a glass Halloween pumpkin on top of them. Ugly results was it crashed down on the hood my my CRV leaving a dent on the left seam line about the size of a nickel. I have corrected any paint damage but I still need to get it to my local dent pro to pull it out. :(

Registered
Discussion Starter #71
Don't feel too bad. My 2017 black AWD touring has never seen anything but a hand two bucket wash, Adam's Polishes paint sealant, says in the garage, and is detailed on a regular basis. Late last year my wife wanted some outdoor furniture cushions from the garage and instead of pulling the CRV out I pulled down the cushions from the storage rack only to discover that I put a glass Halloween pumpkin on top of them. Ugly results was it crashed down on the hood my my CRV leaving a dent on the left seam line about the size of a nickel. I have corrected any paint damage but I still need to get it to my local dent pro to pull it out. :(
It just goes to show, like what happened to me and happened to you, we don't think about every possible issue that could happen. We try our best to take care of the vehicles we own, but it's inevitable that sooner or later something will happen. It's the same with us, sooner or later we will cut a finger, or worse, but it does happen. As frustrating as it is, we can only do our best to avoid such situations. I have dent protection that I will use as soon as this corona virus issue ends, but even so, the door will need repainting. Thanks for sharing.

Premium Member
Will tell only 1 event that makes me a bonified member of this illustrious group.

Had a Dodge Grand Caravan. Pulled up parallel to the school building to load some material. Popped the rear lid, started moving material. Said to myself, "You know it would be easier to back into the building to decrease the loading distance." Hopped into the seat, started up, put it in reverse,... . You know the rest. Nice smooth rear lid now had an approximately 2 inch fold.

The rear window did not break. How and why, I do not know. If it had, I think I might have gotten a ragweed leaf cluster added to what I had already earned.

Registered
Discussion Starter #73
Welcome to this illustrious group. Isn't it so frustrating when things like this happen. Thanks for adding your story.

Registered
I was reading the post today where the poster dropped a tool into his engine bay while installing new horns, and it reminded me of a really bonehead thing I did...I felt it was better in this thread, as he was looking for help.

This was about 35 years ago, when I was a much younger, and more physically capable man. We had moved into a new (to us) house, and I was up in the crawl space running some speaker wires. Job was successful, and I came down all hot and sticky, and covered in grey insulation....and I realized I had left my wire cutters in the attic! No biggy, I was still dirty, so I went back up the ladder, and made my way across the rafters to look for my wire cutters. Well, my foot slipped off the rafter and I crashed through the drywall ceiling, landing on the floor in a pile of insulation 8 feet below. I just missed hitting the corner of the oak dining table. I was ok, other than a few sore places for few days, and out a few dollars to get the ceiling repaired. BIG irony? I hadn't left the wire-cutters there, I had already put them away in the garage. OUCH!

Registered
I was reading the post today where the poster dropped a tool into his engine bay while installing new horns, and it reminded me of a really bonehead thing I did...I felt it was better in this thread, as he was looking for help.

This was about 35 years ago, when I was a much younger, and more physically capable man. We had moved into a new (to us) house, and I was up in the crawl space running some speaker wires. Job was successful, and I came down all hot and sticky, and covered in grey insulation....and I realized I had left my wire cutters in the attic! No biggy, I was still dirty, so I went back up the ladder, and made my way across the rafters to look for my wire cutters. Well, my foot slipped off the rafter and I crashed through the drywall ceiling, landing on the floor in a pile of insulation 8 feet below. I just missed hitting the corner of the oak dining table. I was ok, other than a few sore places for few days, and out a few dollars to get the ceiling repaired. BIG irony? I hadn't left the wire-cutters there, I had already put them away in the garage. OUCH!
I feel your pain.

Registered

It does happen unfortunately. Glad you are able to tell the story & laugh now! We have all done some bone-head things - goes with the territory. At least we are not afraid to give it a try. That is my best takeaway from working on cars, the ability to tackle anything mechanical/electrical.

Registered
Discussion Starter #78

Ouch!!! I can't imagine what was going through your mind the moment you went through the ceiling. Fortunately all your suffered was some bumps and bruises, and a thinner wallet. Hitting the corner of the dining room table most likely would have created a different outcome. Something to tell your grand-kids.

Registered
Ouch!!! I can't imagine what was going through your mind the moment you went through the ceiling. Fortunately all your suffered was some bumps and bruises, and a thinner wallet. Hitting the corner of the dining room table most likely would have created a different outcome. Something to tell your grand-kids.
Exactly!

Speaking of grandkids, we JUST became grandparents two weeks ago today, a healthy 8lb 7oz boy born to my son and his wife. It will be a while before he understands this story, but I will tell it to him this weekend when we see him again. (I'm sure my son is tired of hearing it!)

61 - 80 of 82 Posts